Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a new GFX card - HELP!

Hi Folks

Again I've been kicked off the server to allow (I'm guessing) PCS Proven/Supporting members on. (I don't remember killing a hossie :/)

So I have taken this opportunity to visit the forum, read some threads, give my two pennith worth and general skulk about the place until another space is opened up on the TG server.

Glad I decided to read some threads as it's been really helpful. I've just ordered a new mouse after reading bzerox's thread (so watch out in the not too distant future).

I have decided that my old FX5200 card needs to go. I've been forced to play CSS using DX7 for the past year as it was the only way to get decent fps. FPS over quality I used to say, but not any more. I want a new card and I think you may be the people to help me make that decision.

I'm using an ASUS P4C800-E mobo which I believe has an AGPx8 slot.
    I know nothing about cards, so any advice on a card that will improve my CSS/TG experience would be most welcome.
    You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system.

Re: In need of a new GFX card - HELP!

What CPU do you have, how much memory?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Running a P4 Northwood 3gig o/c @ 3.3gig with 2gig GEIL PC3200 DDR400 RAM
      You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system.

Comment

Originally posted by Clip View Post
        Running a P4 Northwood 3gig o/c @ 3.3gig with 2gig GEIL PC3200 DDR400 RAM
        I'm guessing you'll want a 7 series nvidia card then. I think they do a 7900 GS, they definitely do a 7800 GS.
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I would get a motherboard that supports PCI Express, and go with the new 8800 from Nvidia that has DX10, now I'm not gonna lie to you, it's very expensive, but getting a card any less will only have you pissed off at yourself at about 6 months from now. Price will vary from time to time and might catch a good deal...but you're looking at 450-550 dollars. The motherboard that supports PCI express you can find for around 80 dollars and up.

But like root asked above, what kinda CPU and how much memory do you have?

Here are some links to check: www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com www.pricewatch.com www.geeks.com www.hardocp.com

Hope this information helps you, if I have some more time, I will go further in detail with you over any questions that you have.
          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

unfortunately I ain't got the money for a new motherboard so I am limited to an older AGP card. You should've seen my old system before I bought Phaze's old mobo, cpu & ram off him!

I'll have a scout around and see what I can get a 7 series card for. (thanks Root)

Comment

I am NOT A WOMAN or a HERMAPHRODITE. Perv.
              USAR

Comment

I am really happy with my NVidia 6800GT AGP8X card. It is 256 bit, has 256 MB Ram, and has 16 pixel pipelines. It's an older card, but even with my old Athlon 2600, I can max most of my games' settings out and run smooth. I can run Doom 3 on Ultra settings at 1600x1200, F.E.A.R. at 1600x1200, etc. I also hear that the NVidia 7600GT is quite a bargain for us oldschool AGP people.

READ THIS ARTICLE. It totally pertains to you!
                http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...form-analysis/
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  I am really happy with my NVidia 6800GT AGP8X card. It is 256 bit, has 256 MB Ram, and has 16 pixel pipelines.
                  Whilst they're great cards, they've never been a common sight in the UK. You can certainly find the 128MB version in abundance.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Ah, bummer. Is overseas shipping too expensive to make an online purchase worth it or no?

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      Ah, bummer. Is overseas shipping too expensive to make an online purchase worth it or no?
                      It adds on a few bucks, for sure. But I'd rather buy something locally, more environmentally sound than flying it over to the uk.

"Think locally, f*** globally". - Gogol Bordello (2005)

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                        I am NOT A WOMAN or a HERMAPHRODITE. Perv.

What? Is someone calling you a wench too?

Comment

Clip, I would suggest a 7600GT. I'm in the same boat in that I need to stay AGP for the time being.

I've been researching AGP cards for a while and I want to stay under $200 and the 7600GT seems to have the best price/performance ratio.

The X1650Pro outperforms it a bit but it's also ~ $235 which is just out of my budget. I'm not going to spend over $200 for an AGP card.

Comment

Clip - take a look at the aria website. I got my TFT from there at a good price. That link will take you straight to nvidia 7 series AGP cards.
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Well there ya go Clip! I took a look at the link that Root posted, and those are some really good prices (Yes, I know it's in pounds). I'm sure that going from your 5200 to ANY of these cards will make a world of difference. Let us all know what you decide and how CS runs after you get it going.

One tip: Before you install your new card, make sure you uninstall the old video drivers to ensure a clean driver install. If you don't, you might incur some problems.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X