Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualities make a good map for Tactical Gamer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What qualities make a good map for Tactical Gamer?

For those of you who don't know, I am pretty good with the SDK. I've built maps for other games, and after a year of tooling around with various failed CS:S concepts I want to finially release something.

To begin with, I'd like to gather feedback from the TG community. If you could answer these questions as specificly as possible I would appreciate it greatly.

1) What is your favorite map and why?

2) How do you feel about random routes, such as cs_Havana?

3) How do you feel about complete darkness, such as in de_Ignorance?

4) What Tactical options would you like to see implimented by map design?

5) How important is CT/T balance? Is it ok for the offensive force to have a far more difficult time with an assault?

Finially, suggestions for theme, layout, and routes will all be considered. I want to involve the community as much as possible, so feel free to add any ideas =)

-Aaron
    Last edited by What Is Schwa?; 01-28-2007, 08:03 PM.

Re: What qualities make a good map for Tactical Gamer?

Great post there Schwa...here are my opinions on this matter.

1) I like Kismayo for the simple fact that there are SO MANY avenues of approach. Both on the ground and up top.

2) I love the "dynamic" routes. It keeps the other teams on their toes. The only thing I dislike about the routes in cs_havana is that they are totally T sided.

3) Darkness is a good thing IMO. But only when the advantage is on the defensive side of the house. And when there is other ways the offense can move to the objectives

4)I dont really favor this option and I really see it getting abused. The only way I can actually see this working is if it requires 3 ppl to move an object and have it move really slow and loud. So when the OpFor moves in that the individuals moving it will be caught off guard. But when it gets slow the defense then could use this. I like the hiding of certain weapons like on de_ignorance also.

5) I think that the advantage should go to the defensive side of the house. This is just my opinion.

Theme-Nothing in the Desert...I'm getting kinda bored of it. Possibly one of Saddams Palaces, I think that a great indoor map would be cool. Maybe a Big Mall or Amusement Park.

Layout and Routes- Several Avenues of approach and some "choke points". Both being able to get up on top and down below.

I hope these ideas will help, Dirtboy
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Thanks dirt!

I was trying to think of ways to make point 4 clear, and used an example that is probobly a sore point for many players. I removed it from the opening post. For the record, i'm not a big fan of barricades.

As for the hidden weapons on de_Ignorance, I had forgoten about them. That does bring up the point of weapon caches. How do players feel about them? For example, a resevior of grenades at the spawn.

-Aaron

Comment

I love Kismayo for the same exact reason, not only is there like 8 different routes on a 2D scale but theres also at least 3 different levels in altitude.

Darkness can be horrible in my opinion. Not everyone has the same gamma levels and brightnesses. Also their computer situation may not be the best, i.e. near a window with light on the screen, etc. If you want to go with darkness I'd again take a page from Kismayo with the slits of light and it not being that dark overall.

I'd like to see more urban style maps. Maybe a hotel with the same textures from Half Life 2. I've always wanted to see fighting from windows to outside as well as up stair cases :)

-Sirusblk

Comment

Has anybody seen the Hotel map from the HL1 mod Hostile Intent? That would make for an outstanding CS Source map by changing the default HI objective of disabling explosive cases to a hostage rescue scenario.

Comment

1. militia i love the feel and the many routes (would be great if expanded i think with larger wood area and maybe more upstairs to view into the woods).

2. I dont like the idea as much since it makes bottle necks (maybe just the way its implemented on havana).

3. I like the idea of a use for NV goggles would be cool if there were sections you could use it like a sewer system that was pitch black (estate anyone).

4. Make it cs_ map cause then it saves on rushes which is just terrible and a near constant on most de_ maps.

5. Difficulty is great but i also like diversity so maybe lots of routes that are easy to cover by defensive team, that way best of both worlds.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
              I'd like to see more urban style maps. Maybe a hotel with the same textures from Half Life 2. I've always wanted to see fighting from windows to outside as well as up stair cases :)

-Sirusblk
              I second that, the thing I like about the rarely played cs_747 is you never know what's in the next room and the close quarter combat. Problem with that map is the close quarters are too close.

CT's having to clear a bunch of rooms in succession in say a hotel or something could be really fun.

and it has to be call: de_Schwa or cs_Schwa :P

Comment

1) Fav map...I'll have to think.

2) I like them. I wish they were visible from spawn, like lights inside that alternate to tell you right away

3) Love it. Wish we had a way to lower NV, though (not dynamic prices).

1) ...More time.

4) Sniper point, counter-sniper point, unconventional (but tactically beneficial) camping point, cover clearly designed as cover (enough boxes! is they know they're being attacked one side probably made a bunker), Machine gunner's vantage point, lots of over watch positions. A map doesn't need all at once.

5) Fairly important. Not 50/50 even but 60/40 is the farthest unbalanced I'd enjoy.

1) ...bhd_convoy I guess. It was close quarters, long range, and they move from one to another quickly.

EDIT: Just to add for Schwa, you should check out pcs_junglerescue. It was the first map designed for PCS (by Vulcan, right?) and is considered very good by all PCS-P.
                Last edited by HairyNevus; 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

junglerescue is okay, but the inside isn't very well made, and it's weird.

I used to map and I'm starting to want to get into it again. I'm not trying to steal your thunder here, Schwa, but would people be interested in a collaberative map project? Everyone could help come up with ideas and plans and then those with the necessary talents could make textures or actually build the level. I can't come up with layouts on my own, I'm not creative enough, but I can handle building them.

I'd like to see a hardcore building-to-building urban map, and some long open outdoor maps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by some guy View Post
                    but would people be interested in a collaberative map project?
                    We already have the nucleus of a mapping team in place, and they're definitely looking for more people.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

For CSS? Well, how come nobody told me about that? :P

I'm interested. I want to finish converting city17 first though.

Comment

You know what would make a great TG map? turning abbaye_premium from de_ to cs_. Just add hotsies somewhere, attic.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus View Post
                          You know what would make a great TG map? turning abbaye_premium from de_ to cs_. Just add hotsies somewhere, attic.
                          Dear God, I can only imagine trying to run the hosties out of THAT one ; ;

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X