This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridiculous, potentially awesome map idea

I had the crazy idea of converting a HL2 map to CSS because I'm lazy and some of the maps are awesome. One stood out right away. It's a City 17 map. Those of you that have played HL2 might recognize it.

I've already gotten it to run in CSS so now I just need to set up the spawnpoints and hosties (there's really nothing in this map worth bombing) and whatever else needs to be done.

Massive picture - the hosties I plan to place inside the little stores. I forgot to mark the rescue zone but I'm thinking somewhere near the giant pillar next to the CT spawn

Who is interested?

Re: Ridiculous, potentially awesome map idea

Hmmm it seems like a nice idea but if i were you and (could edit the map) id open up the stores so there was space for t's to sit in there prehaps behind tables and counters with the hostages, because by the look of it on your pictures the hostages will just be standing in an alcove of a building. This doesnt seem such a great place to keep hostages cause it will leave retracting them to open very difficult from t's roaming around the destroyed building in the center, i havent played the map but it looks so open that it will be hard to stay on objective.

However if implemented well i believe it could be good, is it possible to add your own areas onto the map ?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree, I am planning to add more cover to the hostage rooms and possibly make them larger.

I can change whatever, yeah. Well, within reason, I have to be careful not to screw up anything.

edit: Dammit, someone's already done it. I'm going to download theirs and see if I can do better.

edit 2: THey did a good job, made many of the same changes I was planning, and added some detail I wouldn't have thought of, but they made it a DE for some reason... you're literally bombing a pile of rubble. It makes even less sense than inferno.

I think I'm going to go ahead and try my way.

Comment

This certainly sounds interesting. I'll add it to the server for play testing as soon as it's finished. :icon14:
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

A thread about a potential new map doesn't go in the map forum?

*shrug*

Comment

yeah you should tone down the brightness make it dark apart from those places around the fires and then we can have a use for night vision googles.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Ive actually played the one thats already been done... it does play pretty well... . with a good mix of sniping and infantry as well :)
              Dizlor

Comment

I gotta rethink the hostage rescue zone, getting them where I was thinking would be next to impossible.

I'll probably try that, Disciple.

edit: Progress update:

*16 CT spawnpoints
                *16 T spawnpoints
                *4 hostages (temporary positions until I extend the storefronts they're in)
                *Opened up an additional path through the the parking garage below the ruins in the center
                *Added an additional point of entry into the ruins from the CT spawn
                *Added a point of entry into the the parking garage below the ruins from the CT spawn
                *Added ladders and a small "bridge" as additional paths through the ruins (they had a convoluted but linear path because it was a SP level)

Todo:
                *Extend storefronts, possibly connect them with a back hallway so the Ts can move between them without exposing themselves
                *Set up more obstacles blocking LOS from CT spawn to second set of hostages (top right in the pic)
                *Figure out the best place for hostage rescue zone(s)
                *Third point of entry into the ruins from CT spawn
                *Additional points of entry into the ruins from T spawn (think there's only 1 right now)
                *Lighting, ambient noise, misc. detail
                Last edited by some guy; 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by some guy View Post
                  Todo:
                  *Extend storefronts, possibly connect them with a back hallway so the Ts can move between them without exposing themselves
                  *Set up more obstacles blocking LOS from CT spawn to second set of hostages (top right in the pic)
                  *Third point of entry into the ruins from CT spawn
                  *Additional points of entry into the ruins from T spawn (think there's only 1 right now)
                  These all sound particularly good. :icon14:
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

This looks really cool. I really, really want to fight people inside that rubble!
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Hey, thanks guys.

I've gotten a lot more done but I've still got a long ways to go. I think a really minor change I made totally screwed up the VIS, because the compile time went up from 25 minutes to 2 hours. I can fix it, but... arg!

*Added trucks as cover between CT spawn and top-right hosties
                      *Added two T paths into the ruins
                      *Lots of small detail and texture improvements
                      *Added more paths around inside the ruins

The biggest thing I'm worried about is that if I extend the stores, it's gonna be really dangerous for the CTs because there will be only one entrance to each set of hosties. But that's how cs_assault is so maybe it's ok.

Also, if none of the Ts go into the ruins, the CTs will be wasting a lot of time in there.

Comment

Mucho props to Some Guy to take this on...it looks like it will be a blast to play.

Thanks for all the hard work..:icon14:

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Thank you, Shady.

edit: Getting really close to playtest release.

*Opened up another path and set up the hostage rescue zones (in the parking garage below the ruins).
                          *Extended storefront next to terrorist spawn (connects to a second story room through a hall now).
                          *Lots of little bug fixes and minor improvements

I need to finish up the hostage start points and figure out the lighting and soundscapes. I'm going to compile what I have now and take some screenies for you all.
                          Last edited by some guy; 02-05-2007, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Someguy i think if you place one set of hostages in the rubble at the T end of the map, that would make some good use to the rubble being there, and not just become a maze for the CT's to race through on there way to the hostages. (i can see it as it is maybe turning into something like office_extreme which i know many people dont like)

If you take my advise then id go on further to say that maybe a building on the CT's side of map could have a upper floor to look out onto some of map aswell.

I'm looking forward to what you have installed for us mate.

Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm probably not going to be around for much longer, but here are the screenies I promised.

The two trucks, one which also provides one of the T entrances into the ruins.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...17_tac0011.jpg

The addon to the hostage room right next to the T spawn (first shot). I added the hallway and stairs (second shot) and some of the detail to the second story room (third shot). I'm probably going to move those two hostages to the upper room. I obviously need to fix the weird lighting glitch.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tage_addon.jpg

Small, contextless, totally unhelpful shots of some of the ladders and rubble and stuff I added to increase mobility through the ruins. For the top right shot, I added the ladder and the board, not the thing under the crosshair. For the bottom right shot, I added the ladder and the boards... the ladder leads to a little "platform" you can't really see because it's at eye level. Bottom left, I added the rope ladder (one of the CT entrances into the ruins), the pile of rubble, and the little ledge coming out of the doorway (for jumping onto from the pile of rubble).
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/NewPaths.jpg

There used to be a door here but I cut it open and added the short path connecting it to the room on the other side (which was a dead end before). I made that room one of the hostage rescue zones.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...17_tac0022.jpg

Some combine stuff I am considering removing (everything but the building in the center, basically). It's just background detail so it's not important either way. It won't feel as much like City 17 without it but some people would probably prefer that.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...17_tac0020.jpg

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X