This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word to the TG community leadership

INTRO: This is an objective writing of my opinion and in no way is meant to be derogatory or harmful. This paper was writing with the best of intentions.

Hello all,

I'm Maddvibe. I'm 21 years old and have been playing Counter-Strike and various Half-life 1/2 mods since Counter-Strike went retail (1.0). In the beginning of my CS play I found a public server to my liking. At any point in time there were 5 to 10 admins in the server, making for a fun and controlled server. While not as strict as your admins, they still made sure everyone moved towards their objective. I played in this server for 2 years, it took me a year of being a helpful and respectful person to join the ranks of the team.

I then moved on to CAL teams. Starting in CAL-IM 1.6, I quickly developed my skill and moved to CAL-Main. From that point on I have never been on a sub top 10 team in CS1.6, Source and DoD. I achieved the rank of CAL-Premier in CS1.6, CAL-I in CS:S and while not competing in a league for DoD, my team beat the defending CPL champions of the time as well as every other top ranked team.

I apologize if that may seem self-righteous, but that purpose of that was to give you a background in my career. Also, it shows that while only being 21 I have a large amount of experience in gaming.

BODY:

I would like to preface this by saying, although your server is drastically different than all other servers in this game, there certainly is a place for it. I think itís interesting and exciting that you can take a game that is an attempt at an objective based FPS, and make it into what the designers failed to achieve. (While the theory behind the game certainly says to achieve your objective, the games design and human nature push players toward fragging first, objectives last.) I commend your efforts; this is not an easy task. The difficulties in creating this type of environment are obvious to you, but I would like to list them for myself for the purpose of continuity.

They are:

1. Players new to the game.
    2. Players who have experience and are willing to play using server guidelines.
    3. Players who have experience and are NOT willing to play using server guidelines.

Regardless of the playerís skill level and tactical awareness, everyone who enters your server for the first time is unsure about the practices.

If your overall view as a community is to attract new players and grow in size, you are taking the wrong path. While I am not arguing your ability add new players, it seems that you are ignoring and rejecting a large part of the community that would otherwise embrace your serverís style of play.

I will first identify the reason for this, and then make an attempt at creating resolutions.

Firstly, players who join the server are subjected to an extremely sharp learning curve. Some players have been playing a certain way for a long time, then subjected to an environment in which a single mistake will have them banned. As an example, when I use any sniper rifle, after firing a shot I tend to switch to a pistol and back to the rifle again. No matter how hard I try to stop, the next day I do it again This may be the same for people who crackjump or bunnyhop(while waiting in spawn or bored). Its important to recognize a persons intent of an action before any type of punishment is made.

Certain actions require certain punishments; therefore, I have developed a set of guidelines to help the Tactical Gamer community achieve the objective of creating a stable environment in which all players are clearly informed of the rules and regulations, while at the same time creating a set of rules and regulations that are clearly defined.

Having a set of clearly defined rules does an excellent job of reducing administration needs. If an administrator can simply point a user to a list instead of typing or saying the specifics of each rule, they will be much happier and be allowed to play the game that they enjoy. When the admins enjoy themselves, everyone else does to.

Guidelines:

1. Develop clear cut rules for all instances that you can. For example, Crackjumping. My example rule would look like this. (Please note this is an example and does not attempt to reflect TGís views or rules.)

Rule 10.2, Crackjumping.

Crackjumping is defined as jumping in a firefight to avoid fire. This is illegal and has been deemed unrealistic. Any player caught crack jumping will receive the standard punishment process defined in our rules (see next section).

Example of acceptable behavior:
    Jumping across an area of view that is being watched, potentially or confirmed, to get to the other side. In any instance the player may not exceed one jump. The player must jump one time and stop jumping, any jump after two is illegal. Sufficient rest is required between jumps (5 seconds).

Example of unacceptable behavior:
    Engaging in a firefight with an enemy and jumping in an attempt to dodge the enemyís bullets, Jumping several times across an area to dodge fire, Bunny hopping in any way shape or form.

The rules must be concise to eliminate confusion. There should be NO grey area regarding a rule(if possible). This goes hand in hand with the next guideline.

2. Develop a set of rules for admins to follow including punishment procedures. With public servers and admins, if they do not have a clear publicly available set of guidelines(or a loosely based set) to follow then they will default to their own beliefs. If an admin is having a bad day, he might ban a player faster than if he were having a good day. Putting 100% control in any admins hands without guidelines is unfair for players. Players deserve a fair shake.

Here is an example of a set of admin guidelines:

Objective: The objective of these admin guidelines is to offer a process of punishment for administrators to ensure that all of the players in the server see the same fair and balanced treatment regardless of which admin is delivering the punishment. This will provide a more static environment for users to play in, and make it much more enjoyable for all. These guidelines are simply a guide to give perspective on the punishment process. While it is preferred that you adhere to the guidelines whenever possible, these should be used in conjunction with your personal judgment. Punishment to a player in order to fulfill your personal feelings or motivation is strictly prohibited. Administrators should promote fair play adhering to the rules at all times and be a model of respect and civility.

I. Small infractions:
    Small infractions are defined as accidental slip-ups by the offending player. Ex. Crackjumping. Small infractions are not made with damaging intent and should be dealt with in a friendly and constructive manner.

A. The punishment guidelines for small infractions are as follows:
    1a. First infraction, the player will be warned verbally through admin chat.
    2a. Second infraction, the player will be warned again verbally and directed to read the rules.
    3a. Third infraction, the player will be punished with an admin_slay on the next round.
    4a. Fourth infraction, the player will be kicked and banned for 10 minutes.

5a. Final infraction, the player will be banned for 1 week.

6a. Subsequent infractions will result in a permanent ban.

7a. If at any time the player show disrespect for the rules and regulations the punishment process will be expedited and the player can be immediately banned for 10 minutes. Make sure to phrase to the person that they can come back when they are willing to respect the rules and that it is a temporary ban. (Binds are key here)

3. Have explanations for some rules so that players can understand them, which will clear up any grey area and stop players from questioning admins.

Rule 9.52, Restricted guns.
    Certain guns are restricted from use in the server.
    1. AWP (Arctic Warfare Police)
    The AWP or AWM is restricted from use at all times. The administrators believe that it provides and unfair gun advantage. The gun is believed to be detrimental to the core aspects of play that we try to achieve. The AWP is permanently banned and will not be considered to be un-banned. Please do not contact admins in any way regarding gun restrictions. Forum threads will be deleted, and punishment will ensue. THIS ITEM IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE. Any person caught using restricted weapons will be punished severely.
    2. Auto Snipers (CT and T)
    The Auto Snipers are restricted from use at all times. The administrators believe that they provides and unfair gun advantage. The guns are believed to be detrimental to the core aspects of play that we try to achieve. The Auto Snipers are permanently banned and will not be considered to be un-banned. Please do not contact admins in any way regarding gun restrictions. Forum threads will be deleted, and punishment will ensue. THIS ITEM IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE. Any person caught using restricted weapons will be punished severely.

The more detail and explanation you can provide in your rules, the better. If your admins are able to refer all players to the rules instead of explaining why there is no AWP, and arguing with the person, this will save them time. Iím sure admins would rather play than baby-sit.

3. Writing a player guide:

Writing a guide to players would be extremely helpful. While you already have guides here on the forums, they arenít readily available to new users. My idea is to have a guide available from the homepage of your website, or rather a link for new comers.

This link would provide:

1) An explanation of the overall goal of TG.
    2) A link to the rules page
    3) A guide on how to get started in the server, talking about objectives and leaders. Explaining in great detail how to adapt to your server environment.
    4) A link to a list of commonly discussed issues such as Crackjumping, bunnyhopping, using AWPS, rushing, avoiding objectives with screenshots and indepth explanations and followed up by the rules for each instance.

It would take only a few hours to write this guide, probably the same amount of time itís taken me to write this.

The objective of the guide would be to prepare a player to play in the server and shorten the learning curve. Admins would get a great deal of relief from this.

CONCLUSION:

In summation, this community is a diamond the in rough. It is a great idea and everyone deserves a chance to join you, there are a lot of great players who also happen to be great people who would love to participate. TG should be concerned with taking the steps necessary to create a friendlier environment for everyone to enjoy. This can be achieved with minimal work, and would better the players and admins alike.

I hope that you can take my words in stride and better your community. I am simply trying to help what I believe to be a group of great people with a great outlook on this game. I would like to become a part of this community and I look forward to meeting all of you and joining you in the server. I hope you appreciate my efforts, as a 5 page paper is not easy to write.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    Maddvibe

Re: A word to the TG community leadership

Thank you moderator.

Comment

Maybe you should read thru our sops and i know you will find most of what you just wrote. And plenty of opportunities are given to new players. Type MOTD in game and our server rules pop up. Alot of our player are always takeing time to help teach those new. Sometimes its just better to jump right in and play.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

That's a mighty large writeup. Allow me to direct your attention.

here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...fications.html

and here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...e-pcs-faq.html

here for the entire listing
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...ncements-sops/

The gameplay elements such as restricting certain weapons are done in the game so a player can't buy one. That was bugged and is now fixed.

Our admins are also very clear on our procedures and we don't make it public debate how the admins should "act".

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
          That's a mighty large writeup. Allow me to direct your attention.

here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...fications.html

and here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...e-pcs-faq.html

here for the entire listing
          http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...ncements-sops/

The gameplay elements such as restricting certain weapons are done in the game so a player can't buy one. That was bugged and is now fixed.

Our admins are also very clear on our procedures and we don't make it public debate how the admins should "act".

I think you will find any admin abuse, if ever there is, handled very swiftly by those above the admins. It doesnt help our community grow if admins are just doing what ever they want. And they are picked very carefully.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Regardless, this is top quality stuff that is well written and well thought about. +rep and thank you for taking the time to write something so detailed with the aim of solving problems and clarifying misunderstandings.

-Zephyr
            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
            We are not a single game.
            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
              Regardless, this is top quality stuff that is well written and well thought about. +rep and thank you for taking the time to write something so detailed with the aim of solving problems and clarifying misunderstandings.

-Zephyr
              Thank you. My only intent was to help.

Just to clarify I did read all available material that I could find before posting.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Comment

Hey Maddvibe. Welcome to TacticalGamer. I appreciate the time it must have taken to write all that up, but as others have pointed out we do have rules and SOP's in place and new players are often directed to them.

I believe the harshness as of late is the result of a particular thread that has been started on the CAL forums in an attempt to direct some players to our server in order to disrupt it. The admins have been working hard at maintaining order since. If anyone feels there kick/ban was unjust they can PM the admin who issued the kick/ban or any other CS:S admin.

That said, hope to see you on the server some time!
                | | |

Comment

Thanks for the great contribution, Maddvibe. Throughout the years we've struggled with some of the issues you mention and have, in many cases, come up with very similar solutions. What you present is very well thought out and deserves more attention than I can give it at this point in time to form a proper response. But I at least wanted to say that I appreciate the time and thought you put into that.

A better response to come...
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                    Hey Maddvibe. Welcome to TacticalGamer. I appreciate the time it must have taken to write all that up, but as others have pointed out we do have rules and SOP's in place and new players are often directed to them.

I believe the harshness as of late is the result of a particular thread that has been started on the CAL forums in an attempt to direct some players to our server in order to disrupt it. The admins have been working hard at maintaining order since. If anyone feels there kick/ban was unjust they can PM the admin who issued the kick/ban or any other CS:S admin.

That said, hope to see you on the server some time!
                    That is the thread that drove me here. I am an active member on the CAL forums. Fortunately I don't agree with the approach taken by the other members of the forum. It would be wise to approach the forum moderator on possible deleting or locking the thread.

Your post put it in perspective for me. I see now that the server was probably much different before the CAL forum fiasco. This writing was an attempt to help the server at that time. While I was in the server there seemed to be a harshness towards players that weren't committing acts that deserved the punishments they received(in my opinion of course). I wouldn't dream of telling you how to run your server. I am just giving perspective from a view from the outside.

I do agree that harsh times call for harsh measures and I hope that you will soon be left alone to enjoy your server in peace.

Most of my ideas seem to be refinements rather than revelations.

I still think the guide would be a good idea!

Comment

Writing a guide to players would be extremely helpful. While you already have guides here on the forums, they aren’t readily available to new users. My idea is to have a guide available from the homepage of your website, or rather a link for new comers.

This link would provide:

1) An explanation of the overall goal of TG.
                      2) A link to the rules page
                      3) A guide on how to get started in the server, talking about objectives and leaders. Explaining in great detail how to adapt to your server environment.
                      4) A link to a list of commonly discussed issues such as Crackjumping, bunnyhopping, using AWPS, rushing, avoiding objectives with screenshots and indepth explanations and followed up by the rules for each instance.
                      We host a lot of games here and so we can't exactly accomodate every single games rules on the homepage. We do direct new players on the server to read the MOTD there and they can read the forums. Most find it without an issue and stick around if they like it.

6a. Subsequent infractions will result in a permanent ban.

7a. If at any time the player show disrespect for the rules and regulations the punishment process will be expedited and the player can be immediately banned for 10 minutes. Make sure to phrase to the person that they can come back when they are willing to respect the rules and that it is a temporary ban. (Binds are key here)
                      This is what we do with most of our time, whether via binds or typing it. The MOTD also displays this for quick reference.

A good amount of our admin time is spent helping new players. It's when they show a lack of caring about what an admin is telling them or the server rules that you find your problems.

It would be wise to approach the forum moderator on possible deleting or locking the thread.
                      I have done this and still no response.

Oh also check out our Primer! link in the sig.

- -

Comment

I reported the thread in the CAL forums to the moderators:

This thread is going nowhere and deserves to be locked or deleted. The server that is in question is receiving a lot of players from CAL who intend to break the rules. This is giving CAL a bad name. These people should be able to enjoy their server without the burden of immature CAL players.

Anyone else that has a membership should report it as well in order to get some peace and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddvibe View Post
                          That is the thread that drove me here. I am an active member on the CAL forums. Fortunately I don't agree with the approach taken by the other members of the forum. It would be wise to approach the forum moderator on possible deleting or locking the thread.
                          I have approached the forum moderators. I have also reported posts within the thread. I have received no response. As a result I have also sent off notification to Robert Gancorz, the division manager for CS Open. Hopefully I'll get a response. If not, I'll just keep going up the chain to Chris Kitto, Kimberly Vizurraga and eventually Angel Munoz. Eventually someone will respond. :)
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Maddvibe,
                            Welcome to TG!! You have already done more than most that pass by here at TG. You took the minute or two to read up on the rules that we impose on ourselves here. That is all we ask of newer players, the rest can be learned online.

A lot of what we see here is people that refuse to look over our rules or even worse the ones who wittingly challenge the rules in game to see how long it takes to get kicked. I have read the thread at the CAL forum and the people that weren’t banned because they did not know or understand the rules, it takes a bit more than that, rather they came in here with a preconceived notion of what they thought the game should be. Than after they were explain the rules, they purposely violated them repeatedly, we could always break out the logs to show them.

As for your suggestions. You are obviously looking at some interesting points and offering some solutions to things that may be confusing. That will be noted. You also did not make a mockery of any of them; that is a great start.

We are all likeminded individuals that came here for the team work. There are a lot of individuals out there playing that loath at the concept of our server. That is ok though; there are thousands of other server that cater to the Army of One concept.

I am glad to see there are open minded individuals that take the time to actually come into the forums and find out what we here at TG are all about…
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Let me first start by saying: the TG PCS server has been operating continuously since the time valve released the mod. Our server has it's ups and downs and growing pains as the rules were hammered out, but it has been consistently full and we even managed to have success running a secondary server for a while. To sum that up: we're doing something right.

Firstly, players who join the server are subjected to an extremely sharp learning curve. Some players have been playing a certain way for a long time, then subjected to an environment in which a single mistake will have them banned.
                              I have never once in my entire "career" as a PCS admin (or ANY other admining) ever banned a person for failing to learn a new rule the first time. The ONLY time I ban without mercy on the first offense is when someone uses derogatory slurs in reference to a racial minority or other group. That's a maturity issue and has nothing to do with the game-rules in PCS.

I also have never seen another admin ban for one mistake along the lines listed above. If any of them did, they would face administrative action themselves. Further, even I had a major learning curve coming into PCS after years of Natural-Selection playing and I was kicked off the server only due to a finger slip by an admin, and a mistake concerning grenades.

Every ban I've seen in the Admin forum is almost 100% a maturity issue and players baiting admins by arguing the rules. It's usually something like:
                              Guy didn't like our rules, comments range from "LOL no bhing, lame. Tish servar sucks!"

CS players (forget that, most GAMERS period) view the Internet as public property and think they should be allowed to act however they feel fit. Add in the anonymous nature of the Internet and you have smacktardry on a level that exists nowhere else in the universe.

TG is welcome to any player that shows a mature attitude and seems like he cares at all about our rules. Most new players are immediately turned off by the wait time on the server, so they register their disgust in the only way they know how: constant complaining.

CS players have a reputation for a reason and the stereotype is more often true than not.

You have some good ideas in your post: most of which have already been implemented by the admin staff here. Welcome to TG.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X