On A Serious Note

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On A Serious Note

This is just my post to say I am hoping that none of our members have family or friends involved in the Virginia Tech Shooting today. It disturbs me deeply that one of the first things to happen after such a tragedy is that the anti-gamer establishment started their banter about how video games, CSS and HL were both mentioned by name; are the cause of violent actions such as this.

Again I just wanna say if any of our members are affected by this horrendous deed today, Our hearts go out to you and yours.
    I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
    It makes small numbers formidable
    procures success to the weak
    and esteem to all.

Re: On A Serious Note

Yes it seems like the gaming industry is still a fall guy when shootings occur. Either that or some rock group...

I have been playing games "FOREVER" and truly never have shot anyone that I wasn't supposed to...

It is truly a shame what happened at Virginia Tech.

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I extend my deepest sympathy to those family members who were killed.
      ------------

------------

Comment

Originally posted by VoidObject
        *edit
        Void This is not something to joke about. The loss of so many young people with thier whole lives ahead of them is simply to awful to verbalize. The sadest part is that the young man who did it must have felt no other recourse but to do this dispicable deed to relieve what ever pain he was feeling. I feel most sorry for him because the system failed him and did not see the warning signs they see now.
        Last edited by Dizlor; 04-18-2007, 09:46 AM.
        I.R. Hogan |TG|

and esteem to all.

Comment

Well said Hogan. Im in no possition to give orders but I have an idea. Maybe this Friday on the lockdown we could do a little moment of silence type thing.

-----------------------------------------
          WMDs: Iraq 0
          Albuquerque, NM 2500

Comment

Maybe a gun salute.
            ------------

------------

Comment

Think about the pain and suffering of hundred of thousands of people across the world, adults and children. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to this young man, but because he's in the spotlight of the news. we feel the need to give a salute or moment of silence? If the news showed each human being that died in the war(s) we've been involved in the middle east (not counting going further back), we wouldn't have time to say anything with all the silence. If you really want to respect this particular situation, I say don't think about just this particular incident, but go deeper and think about the whole system and humanity, see if you can find the cracks, snatch back your brains, have a personal awakening. If you wanna think about warning signs, there are so many it's become like chatter at a cocktail party.

Don't even get me started.

And it's not rock music, or video gamers, it's all rooted in Dungeons and Dragons.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
              "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
              - Wulfyn

Comment

I agree with Sloppy .. If you feel you must do something, do something for the people in need that are still with us. Give the old homeless guy on the corner a sandwich or a blanket. Say hello to a kid at school no one else will talk to. If you really feel like doing something, voluteer somewhere. Its the little things we do without asking for recognition that makes our world a better place.
                I.R. Hogan |TG|

and esteem to all.

Comment

In the mean time, since we are able to do so, I still think we should give a moment of silence. Just because being killed has become a trivial event doensnt mean that it is still not a very serious thing. If you feel that this reletively small amount of deaths doesn't merit its own few seconds of silence, then, well, we can make it a moment to honor all that have fallen unjustly at the hands of another.

WMDs: Iraq 0
                  Albuquerque, NM 2500

Comment

It's times like these that remind me of that billy joel song, "we didnt start the fire". I can't imagine the pain the familys must go through.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Don't get me wrong Mohekan. I wasn't saying that this event was trivial, rather that all the others get trivialized, especially when the media puts a spotlight on one thing. There are killings all over, every day, be it war or crime. Ya'd think at this day and age humanity would be more enlightened, well maybe not since I've noticed a big trend in our education system in particular cutting down on humanities. Why learn about ourselves when we're too occupied learning how to become busy worker bees in the hive of materialistically dominated societies where it's not uncommon to put the status of "things" above that of human beings.

Kids getting frustrated? I can see that. We're too "busy" as adults to dwell on the depressing aspects of life or we just shuffle those bad thoughts into the closet, while kids, especially college kids, are in a transition from childlike freedoms to the cruel confines of adulthood. I'm suprised it doesn't happen more often.

Ahem, erm, something got me started (must be waking up)

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                      "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                      - Wulfyn

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
                        There are killings all over, every day, be it war or crime.
                        This is as true as truth gets. However, this one is different; they're always different. This one was different to me, I mean. When something affects you directly, the other deaths become nearly irrelevant. I personally, honestly, could not care less about the Columbine shootings, because I know no one involved even remotely. The closest I can get to that is the knowledge that one of my friends used to live in Colorado. The body count at the Virginia Tech Massacre doesn't matter either; only the death of one person in one of the classrooms is relevant to me in the least. I don't give a flying rat's ass about the people dying everywhere else in the world; not this week anyways. An understanding of this phenomenon (personal experience on three separate occasions) will aid me in the future, but for now I'm still in the wake of the tragedy.
                        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by I.R. Hogan View Post
                          This is just my post to say I am hoping that none of our members have family or friends involved in the Virginia Tech Shooting today. It disturbs me deeply that one of the first things to happen after such a tragedy is that the anti-gamer establishment started their banter about how video games, CSS and HL were both mentioned by name; are the cause of violent actions such as this.

Again I just wanna say if any of our members are affected by this horrendous deed today, Our hearts go out to you and yours.
                          I liked this article I found and wanted to share it, really shows how ignorant "its video games fault" statement is. http://pspupdates.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=89666

My thoughts and prayers are with the familys.
                          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

another article I came across, http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ing-253797.php when will this guy shut up.
                            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

I didn't know anyone, and till this day I never ran into anyone that was in the two towers. Nothing to do with me right, so why did my wife and I cry when we watched the second building get hit? So many lives gone and familes hurt thats why. Every death so be it in war or by accident, maybe even a guy trying to get out of a bad Hood has a sad and meaning story. Take into account the media also blows certain stories up, so 2 deaths here in U.S. or 2 deaths in Tokyo are hard on someones families. Just be grateful its not yours.

Peace be with you

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...