Jumping to avoid a nade.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping to avoid a nade.

OK I was playing cs_apartments tonight and we got in a discussion about jumping to avoid nades and I was wondering the official stance on this.

The way I see it if a nade is thrown at you and lands in front of you and you jump behind a wall that is next to you to avoid getting hit by a grenade then it is totally legit. Now this is only valid if you are not under fire at the same time, because then that would constitute crackjumping.

Now I wasn't sure who said it, but it was one of the admins playing at the time and they said they would slay if they saw this behavior. He also stated that if someone throws a nade at you they are most likely going to fire at you as well as soon as they recover from the nade, so jumping would be considered illegal anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with this because I have encountered countless blind nade throws through ducts, nades ricocheting off walls, thrown down stairs, etc etc. where there was no chance for them to return fire since there was no clear line of sight.

I just think that if I had a nade thrown at me and I had the chance to jump through a doorway, through a window, or behind a wall to avoid the grenade to save my life then I would. I wouldn't just stand there and take the flak.

If I am wrong then I am wrong and I will correct my behavior. And I am not saying I jump every time a nade is thrown at me because that's just ridiculous. I would just like the option to be there if it's allowed.

Poople|TG|
    Poople|TG|

Re: Jumping to avoid a nade.

I'm sure this has been addressed before. I searched but nothing really came up. Sorry if it's a repost.

Poople|TG|

*EDIT*

I've heard a lot of differing options about it from |TG| and PCS players. Some state that it's allowed, but frowned upon. Some state that it is allowed, and some state that it's outlawed. Just trying to get a concrete answer.
    Poople|TG|

Comment

IMO its allowed for sure. Crackjumping is jumping to avoid bullets, and/or to distract an enemy's aim around a corner. Jumping to avoid the blast radius of a grenade is perfectly normal and happens irl im sure.

/thumbsup
      Dizlor

Comment

I jump to avoid nades, I figure if I am above the nade a bit more and it hits more near my feet the less damage I will take.

Gogeta sums it up well above.

Comment

I thought the SOP defined crackjumping as "Any jumping other than to get onto objects" Am I wrong?
          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Tbh why even bother it's far quicker to just run behind a wall to avoid the nade, if its a such controversial point with lots of oppinions on either sides then just steer clear of it.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

1) I agree with Disciple; Jumping actually slows you down, so I'm not sure how effective it is, in game, for your toon to hop to avoid damage over that of running away.

2) I disagree with Gogeta; I think professionally trained terrorists and counter-terrorists would be more inclined to get down or away, rather than up. Since grenades not only have an explosive element, but the shell fragmentation effect, jumping up would ensure, IRL, that you get blendered up pretty well. So I can't see realism as being good rational.

3) Quite often, at least from my perspective, if I throw a grenade, the very next thing in my hand is going to be a firearm. I will follow up with bullet fire whenever possible, even push around corners knowing that if the grenade does make contact, the target is temporarily disoriented. If my target is jumping to avoid grenade damage, he will also be jumping to avoid taking 'bullet' fire.

4) Regardless of the type of fire, the letter of the rule is "Crackjumping is jumping for ANY reason EXCEPT to get onto objects such as boxes and railings." as per SOP Clarifications.

Unless Vulcan wishes to change the rule, it's the one I'm going by and watching out for. I suggest urging players to read (or re-read) the SOP forums, particularly the clarification post, since it includes things like nade spamming, blind fire, and others.

Also, related to this issue, A player last night was wondering about jumping to see over objects (in the particular case on the server though, the object was a window that the player did not really need to jump to see over, but regardless, the question arose). According to the SOPs this is not valid unless you intend to get onto an object in order to see. My only suggestion in this is if you need to see over a large object without intent of getting on the object is to use a teammate's back. As it stands, there are no rules restricting boosting or using a teammate's back as a platform.

/thumbsdown

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
              "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
              - Wulfyn

Comment

OK so two admins say yes, two temporary admins say no, and one PCS member says no...can we get Vulcan in here to clarify?
                Poople|TG|

Comment

Originally posted by Disciple View Post
                  Tbh why even bother it's far quicker to just run behind a wall to avoid the nade, if its a such controversial point with lots of oppinions on either sides then just steer clear of it.
                  Why would I steer clear? I just want it clarified. It's not really that big of a deal. I am just wondering.

OK I understand running behind a wall, but what if you have to jump through a window? And I'm not sure how jumping is affected by the weight scripts either. I always felt that running is slower than that initial jump.
                  Poople|TG|

Comment

Jumping doesn't do anything to avoid the nade but if you have to jump over something to get away from the blast radius then thats cool. But just jumping to get away in an open area has no effect especially with the modified blast radius on our server. Keep in mind that yes we do not want people jumping to avoid bullets, that's the main point. So if you think it's necessary to jump from a nade and happen to be avoiding bullets, your guilty of crackjumping as well. In short it's not necessary so really no need to do it. We're not gonna make any SOP over it either.

- -

Comment

Ok might wanna close post :) Everytime I post it gets closed. I got the answer so listen what I think. OH MY GOD!! INCOMING NADE!! RUN!!!! AHHH!! Just run away.

THANK YOU

FUN FUN

FUN FUN

Comment

I say we put in tuck and roll in cs:s. lol (vulcan get to work ;) lol)

Comment

Bah... w/e. So what your telling me sloppy is that youve never ever heard of someone diving around a corner or diving over a car/object when a nade or explosion goes off near them.... I understand jumping straight up in the air out in the open doesnt do any good.... but lets think a little more sittuational here, ... ya know what nvm... Its wrong I guess, imo this is getting a bit nit picky but oh well..... just dont do it.
                          Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
                            Bah... w/e. So what your telling me sloppy is that youve never ever heard of someone diving around a corner or diving over a car/object when a nade or explosion goes off near them.... I understand jumping straight up in the air out in the open doesnt do any good.... but lets think a little more sittuational here, ... ya know what nvm... Its wrong I guess, imo this is getting a bit nit picky but oh well..... just dont do it.
                            I understand your point here however jumping is slower than running with the weighting system so your actually not gonna get around that corner faster or whatever it might be with jumping. With that said I really don't care if people attempt to do it but if your doing it to also avoid bullets then that's gonna be a problem. Avoiding a nade with jumping alone doesn't help the person so I really don't care if they do it. It's also not manipulating any game mechanic.

- -

Comment

So if there is an admin on and he says stop crack jumping, then he thinks its crack jumping and thats the end right? Vulcan did say its slower.

FUN FUN

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...