Communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication

One thing I have noticed on the server as of late is TONS of play-by-play talking during combat.

PCS strives for good communication. The defintion of which is relevant, precise, and concise transmission of intel.

A poor example being "Oh damn! Ouija just got popped." A better com would be "contact, taking fire from/at <the place the fire came from that smoked Ouija or if you dont know where the fire came from the location you are at>."

Calling quick locations, with a count of the opfor is extremely helpful. ("Long hall, 2." "Apartments, 1.") Keeping your coms concise allows you to get the relevant information out quickly, and it gives everyone on your team the knowledge needed to adjust their actions accordingly.

I know at times our excitement gets the best of us, and thats to be expected. Work on it, is all I ask...

Additionally, DO NOT interrupt with coms during the planning stage of the game. It is disrespectful to those attempting to plan.
    If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
    with any questions or concerns.
    |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Re: Communication

If it was sniper fire that killed someone (Ouija, in this case), and you don't know where it is, does it matter what you say besides, "Sniper on ____ side, need cover since Ouija died."?
    ------------

------------

Comment

Reserving the communications channel during planning time is especially important; I know I'm guilty of violating this respect on countless occasions. On the defending team it's a little bit less important, since you can usually have a good plan out in fifteen seconds or so... but you know, just in case someone has something important to say.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrums View Post
        If it was sniper fire that killed someone (Ouija, in this case), and you don't know where it is, does it matter what you say besides, "Sniper on ____ side, need cover since Ouija died."?
        Anything is better than nothing. I dont have issue with the statement, but I would cut it even shorter... "Sniper on ____ side, need cover." Its not much difference, but we dont necessarily need to know who is down (unless they are squad leader, sniper, etc.)

The more you practice using concise coms, the easier and more natural it will become. Tonight on bhdconvoy, the CT coms were very good...and seeing how the Ts beat us 7-6, theirs must have been rocking as well. Keep it up guys, the teamwork is starting to shine!
        |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

I have been known to get off subject of the game every now and then. However, I usually report whats happening around me very well. One thing that got to me the other night was someone was just calling out "3" or "1" on comms, they were calling out how many enemies they saw but with no locations, this was very confusing to me.
          Please if you use comms about spotting enemies, use specific locations on where you saw them.
          If you are using radio buttons then on most maps the location in broadcasted next to your name. So if you hear "enemy spotted" as a radio comm, just look at the text box and you can see where its coming from.

Comment

Couldn't agree more Ouija - I think there are 2 or more posts about this I have made in the past - short and sweet for the win.

Unless you have some sort of crazy computer that inflcits pain upon you when you get shot in game no one needs to hear you yell "Ouch, that hurt..."

Comment

Well I half agree and half don't.. We have to remember that while tactical communication is important, this is a game and we play it to have fun. Don't get me wrong, A motor mouth really confuses what is happening, but the occasional "Oh crap I'm blind" after being flashed or "I'm spinning like a top lol" after being fragged shouldn't be too frowned upon either, personal expression is key to having fun. In the end isn't that what we are all trying to do, Have fun?
              I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
              It makes small numbers formidable
              procures success to the weak
              and esteem to all.

Comment

We it seems alot of the time the guys yelling out about getting shot are usually the ones rambling on about other stuff.

I mean, obviously it's a balance - people play CS:S to have fun. A completely militant lock down on conversation can kill the fun, it's more just a matter of reigning in those what constantly blather at the wrong times.

Comment

I think Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly says it best:

"When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"
                  | | |

Comment

They should make a "gimp" function in Mani for voice comms.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                      I think Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly says it best:

"When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"

I appreciate the tips, everyone.
                      Good thread, Ouija.

Comment

Originally posted by I.R. Hogan View Post
                        Well I half agree and half don't.. We have to remember that while tactical communication is important, this is a game and we play it to have fun. Don't get me wrong, A motor mouth really confuses what is happening, but the occasional "Oh crap I'm blind" after being flashed or "I'm spinning like a top lol" after being fragged shouldn't be too frowned upon either, personal expression is key to having fun. In the end isn't that what we are all trying to do, Have fun?

Im all about having fun on the server. And I cut up as much as the next guy, but, there is a time and place for it. During an assault, when there is already a lot of chatter from calling targets, instructions from squad leaders, a "whoa! that grenade just landed in my lap, Im hurting now guys watch out" is WAY too much.

If you want to joke around, and mention things of this sort...type it, but keep the coms clear for the real information. You can talk about how bad that nade rocked you when youre dead.
                        |

Comment

Regulars please communicate more. Not saying theres not some awesome comms. But theres some really bad ones too. I've been here a while and we got people connected here for years. And I see them still quiet.

Odds are the person that pushed there didnt communicate. Not saying he didnt, just saying odds are against it. Again regulars please if you have an idea or plan step up and louden your voice and either ask for control or take it if nobodys at bat. Plan! Tell everyone where you want them, if someone is running off ask them to comeback. Then start the plan over.

Use names or say top half or bottom half goes this direction. If someone has an idea to go off alone, don't be afraid to say no. If you let someone go, send a buddy along with him and make sure it has something to do with your plan. Also just because your plan failed it doesnt mean you did, try again. Work out the bugs.

You Know when your team wins a tied up match or just does a shutout match? Its a good feeling to be on the winning side. If your the team leader and its your plans you feel it double. Not saying its still fun to play on the losing side :)

P.S. Please If someone is making plans if you must chat type what you want to get across.

Thank you

FUN FUN

FUN FUN

Comment

It's important to call out when you engage an enemy, and the position you are in. Without the death notices, I've found myself as a lone CT covering the front of parkhouse, thinking I'm covering an ally who died 3 minutes ago but didn't call out the engagement.

Comment

This is why I think remove all or don't do anything. By removing all you REALLY need to comm. I mean death notice, TAB.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X