Integrating custom sprays into CS:S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrating custom sprays into CS:S

Well, I made a few, but unfortunately, I couldn't find what folder to put it into... Source doesnt have a "pldecal.wad" file anywhere that I could find.

Also: Does anyone know how to make the sprays clear and smooth? Mine keep coming out too pixely.

I would appreciate any input :)

Thank you in advance!

-scully
    - Robyn

Re: Integrating custom sprays into CS:S

Source automatically does it for you... no more pldecal.woes ... all you have to do is in game, then options, and hit the add custom spray or whatever button... then use the directory to find whatever folder you have the picture in(ie. my pictures etc.) once you find the file, double click it and it will be there :)
    Dizlor

Comment

To have a cool, professional looking spray like the ones I make, be sure to use Targa (TGA) format when you create and import a spray, and scale it to 256x256 if it is square, 512x128 if it is a banner. Reasons:

1) Targa allows full alpha-channeling, importing BMP only allows color-key transparent on Pure Blue, and JPEG is nasty by nature. In GIMP, save as Targa, leave the starting corner alone, but uncheck RLE.
      2) Sprays must be binary sizes, and the sizes above are the maximum for square and rectangle. Any larger or non-binary sizes will be resized and padded internally, and the internal filter isn't as clean as the cubic resizes you get in image software. It's a minor difference, but if you have small text and/or fine details on your spray the difference matters.

Close-up, the 256-square spray will have visible blocking. That is because the pixels are being stretched a lot, and because the image is compressed -- recompressed if you imported JPEG which is the kiss of death for detail -- into the Valve texture format, and that will lower detail somewhat. Avoiding solid blocks of color, especially red, can reduce that issue, though that's often not a workable solution.

Comment

Thanks Magna.
        ------------

------------

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
          To have a cool, professional looking spray like the ones I make, be sure to use Targa (TGA) format when you create and import a spray, and scale it to 256x256 if it is square, 512x128 if it is a banner. Reasons:

1) Targa allows full alpha-channeling, importing BMP only allows color-key transparent on Pure Blue, and JPEG is nasty by nature. In GIMP, save as Targa, leave the starting corner alone, but uncheck RLE.
          2) Sprays must be binary sizes, and the sizes above are the maximum for square and rectangle. Any larger or non-binary sizes will be resized and padded internally, and the internal filter isn't as clean as the cubic resizes you get in image software. It's a minor difference, but if you have small text and/or fine details on your spray the difference matters.

Close-up, the 256-square spray will have visible blocking. That is because the pixels are being stretched a lot, and because the image is compressed -- recompressed if you imported JPEG which is the kiss of death for detail -- into the Valve texture format, and that will lower detail somewhat. Avoiding solid blocks of color, especially red, can reduce that issue, though that's often not a workable solution.
          Yeah, that too :row__635:
          Dizlor

Comment

How can you make your spray's background transparent? I already saved it as a JPEG, so there's no chance of just using the GIMP and unchecking the background button (it's flattened).:row__639: It looks cheesy with a white background. Can you turn white into, well, nothing (transparent)?
            Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

If you still have your source material, re-create it and save it properly. If that is not an option, you can open the file, create the alpha mask you want, apply it, and save to Targa. Which would be more work depends on the complexity of the composition.

Never use Flatten in GIMP because Merge Visible Layers does the same thing, but Merge retains the alpha while Flatten will use the Background colour behind transparent areas.

Comment

In PS just make sure you make the document transparent.
                ------------

------------

Comment

Spray-making doesn't justify the big bucks for Photosop.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                    If you still have your source material, re-create it and save it properly. If that is not an option, you can open the file, create the alpha mask you want, apply it, and save to Targa. Which would be more work depends on the complexity of the composition.

Never use Flatten in GIMP because Merge Visible Layers does the same thing, but Merge retains the alpha while Flatten will use the Background colour behind transparent areas.
                    That's the problem. It's already been flattened.
                    Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Actually, my spray is the same as my avatar, only without the flashing symbol. It's saved as a GIF animation. Maybe I could get just the layer with the flaming guy out of it and paste it onto a transparent background?
                      Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

The flashing symbol is do-able in a spray, but it'll probably take a hit on your resolution and take actual effort to create.

Post the full-res image and I'll take a crack at it. (Simple, not animated) Or, work it out on your own and grow more powerful in your gimp-fu. :D

Comment

I tried it. It's in two layers: a white background, then a 2-frame layer (the flaming guy w/ and w/o the symbol)
                          Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Deleting the background layer should be no problem, but if your character layer contains no alpha channel, you'll need to create one, otherwise you'll have a lot of barely-orange white pixels around it.

Comment

Flashing sprays are the most annoying things in the world.
                              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X