This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackjumping?

Crackjumping? Crackjumping is jumping for ANY reason EXCEPT to get onto objects such as boxes and railings.

I understand that this rule was created with the intention to preserve realism and prevent players from jumping up and down like someone out of an asylum (thus the term's name), but I'm not sure exactly why this encompasses all jumping beyond getting onto objects.

Earlier today I was scolded for crackjumping, and it wasn't until I thought about what I had been doing until I realized where I had made the offense - I ran out of bullets, so I jumped behind a wall to reload. I make no arguments about doing so or stuff, but this got me thinking about what made crackjumping, crackjumping.

In my belief, jumping as such was both justified and realistic. If you're being fired upon when unarmed, wouldn't your first instinct be to leap out of sight? I would think it very likely for one to dive behind cover, maybe roll a little from the momentum after landing.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting such a thing, or if I should've been PMing a |TG| about this, but I just had to get my thoughts out and couldn't find a better forum for them.
    sigpic

Re: Crackjumping?

I think it's a slippery slope issue at that point. If you make the rule 'no jumping unless you're mounting an object,' there's no room for argument. Deviation from that causes problems because everyone can make a one-better excuse for their jumping about.

Comment

Two things i find about jumping away from the heat of battle is firstly your soilder is carrying quite alot of wieght with his guns, armour, nades and uniform and i see it as such that sure you might be able to jump but with the height and distance you can jump on CSS (you can jump onto a hostage whos standing up right) this is unrealistic thats why i feel jumping is absurd. The other thing is just common sence since with the mods we are running on this server you will find its quicker to just keep running and duck round the wall since jumping will slow you down.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

First of all, jumping slows you down, second, you wouldn't jump a corner, rather you'd dive around the corner. Also, the jump height is very unrealistic, so it gives you an unfair advantage.

Comment

well part of the problem is that you can't climb up objects, you have to jump up onto objects. So the jump facilitates the reaching of heights above you as well. Our rule is in place because people will abuse it however they can since it's common place in CSS. It's very clear as is.

- -

Comment

Ah, so jumping onto objects is a substitute for the lack of climbing up onto them?

Alright, thanks for the clarification.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ViaS View Post

In my belief, jumping as such was both justified and realistic. If you're being fired upon when unarmed, wouldn't your first instinct be to leap out of sight? I would think it very likely for one to dive behind cover, maybe roll a little from the momentum after landing..
              I understand your belief that you would "leap" out of sight in a real situation. I ask you to try this sometime, a little exercise we would do in the army(modified of course for civilian play lol) Try this...

Designate a friend of yours or family member, To every so often startle you by either throwing ice water on you or something similarly unpleasant, and record your reaction. I think you'll find no matter how prepared you feel you will be, you wont jump out of the way, you will react either by a defensive posture (hands up in front to deflect the assault) or an offensive action (such as grabbing the object and sending it hurtling back at them.

Being shot at in reality is startling at the least if not completely frightening. Its not at all like in the movies unless you have no fear of death, which is an uncommon thing among most of us.

This is our definition of Crack Jumping: Crack jumping is jumping for ANY reason EXCEPT to get onto objects such as boxes and railings.
              Yet it is a bit simpler in that, one of the main things this is meant to deter is what use to be called bunny hopping or continuously jumping to avoid fire, both of which are completely unrealistic.

Try it sometime see how many times you can jump continuously and throw a ball accurately at something. A good way to show this is to go to a paint ball arena. Try it there.. I am sure you will find that jumping to avoid being hit is the last thing you think of doing (maybe diving for cover) but not jumping around like a loon to avoid getting hit. That would just make you an easier target.
              I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
              It makes small numbers formidable
              procures success to the weak
              and esteem to all.

Comment

Again, I did not jump like a maniac, nor did I argue for that to be the case. The situation in particular was when I emptied my clip at someone and ran, then jumped behind a corner to reload. As you mentioned, the "diving behind cover" thing. The rationalization being that you can kick off from the ground to reach cover faster as long as you can slide behind it before gravity brings you to the earth again.
                sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, the game does not allow any sort of diving for cover. You jump up in the air instead of diving directly over. If Valve ever decides to make a real update to the game and add the prone position to CS:S, maybe something like this will be viable.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

It wouldn't be Counterstrike anymore. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed