Help with my mic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my mic

I recently got a new computer, and while everything else is fine, my mic is really low. I've turned everything to max, but it still sounds like a whisper to most people. I've got vista, could that be the problem?

Re: Help with my mic

Oh right, and I also have trouble with xfire, I'll choose the TG server from my favorites, and try to join, and it asks for my password(if required) and then it opens up steam, and a message pops up saying "only one instance of steam can be run at a time" or something. It's annoying having to connect throught the console(seeing as my favorites list in CSS doesn't work either).

Comment

I make CFGs so I can connect via console with an exec command instead of keying the full IP. Plus that lets me automatically bind things like Bandage.

Check your sound settings to see if the +20dB mic boost is enabled. Also, it could be your mixer settings. I don't touch Vista, but since time immemorial, using the default Windows mixer, you must go into the sound settings and use the menu to get at the recording controls to adjust your mic settings. Custom mixers like those that come with evil Creative Labs soundcards are sometimes more hospitable.

Comment

Make a shortcut that points to the following target:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 240 +connect 70.87.55.29:27015

Obviously you should edit the path if Steam resides in a different location.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Is it a usb mic or one you plug into your sound card?

Also, have you tried using windows recorder to test the volume outside of games or teamspeak?

Comment

... Where can I find the mic settings? Not ingame, but in windows. I'm a noob, I know>_>

Comment

There should be a speaker icon in your system tray. Assuming Vista doesn't replace the system tray with Little Tykes plastic alphabet blocks.

Comment

Check control panel for a Sound and Audio settings icon. If you don't see it, look for a link on the left to click that says switch to classic view.

Then you should have a window that has 5 or so tabs and one of those should be audio and another Voice. This is where you choose what you want to use to record and playback the different streams of audio and where you can change settings.

The first tab should be volume - guessing here since I have xp and not vista - and there should be an advanced button. There you can click to set up your levels for recording.

If you click that, you will have another window popup. Click on options, properties and then choose recording, and then you can click in the little boxes to the left of the different levels to display them or remove the check mark to hide them. Once you click ok, then you go back to the play control window and can then adjust the different levels.

Then go to Star Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder. May be different on Vista. And try to record yourself talking and then play it back to see what levels you need to adjust etc. If you can get it working in windows but it still gives you problems with other apps or games then you can troubleshoot that and at least eliminate one problem.

Comment

There we go. Thanks. How can I be this stupid..? I checked the Control Panel twice but I still missed it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X