Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Player finds very Unforgiving Server.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player finds very Unforgiving Server.

Sunday 24th. apx 9am cst.

I'm a new CS player. I bought it to break from BF2/WoW blahs. I join the tg CS server thinking I'd get a great bunch of people to start out with and something more structured than the kill fests I've seen in other games. I've don't have the best comp, and it gets slight pauses every once in a while causing me to maybe sit still for a sec. I've been kicked already and I'd rather not be known as a kick target. This is the first small team tactical game I've played online. I've read the SOP forum and such...just need another source of tips maybe.

Maybe someone can point me to a "n00b" server where I can learn a few things. ;)

Any words of advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by GassyGnoll; 06-24-2007, 01:54 PM.
    "All warfare is based on deception."
    -Sun Tzu

Re: New Player finds very Unforgiving Server.

The noob doesn't need to find his server. His server needs to find him.

Join the server again. Identify yourself as a noob, loudly, when you arrive. Make it damn clear to everyone involved that you're happy to be in their company, you're eager to help, your computer does impair your performance, that you do know where you are and what's expected of you, and that you're going to do your best.

Then, do your best. If you continue to be unsatisfied, PM an admin. If the admin(s) provides no remedy for you, play somewhere else, as you did the best you could.

Though, I suspect the second paragraph will yield a very satisfying experience if you have anything other than the thinnest of skins.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

the best advice you can get for our server is always assist the objective. Don't take any liberties until your familiar with the way we play.

Always keep cover on the bomber/bombsites/hostages. If your a CT on a CS map, be ready to cover a teammate and wait for instructions. If none come, then ask.

If you got a mic, use it!

- -

Comment

We here at TG Love new players.. especially if you are new to CSS, what that means to us is that you have no bad habits formed by playing on most CSS pub servers.. such as Crackjumping and such.

I played on the server with you today and you seem to be catching on really quick.. Glad to have you here. Like our venerable leader Vulcan stated. Basically take it slow follow the lead of a TG and you will be fine.

Remember one thing, If you have input for a plan speak up! We welcome all ideas.
        I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
        It makes small numbers formidable
        procures success to the weak
        and esteem to all.

Comment

Players do get kicked for having a high ping automatically by the server. And also for reserved slot members.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
          "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
          - Wulfyn

Comment

yes. it might take some time to adjust to the style of play if your new or not used to it but in the long run it is a lot more fun and worth all the dying lol. neways i hope to see you on the server once in a while. so have a great time fragging it up.
            There are no winners in war.

Comment

When I'm yelling commands I could always use a backup, just stick with me and I'll set you in the right direction.

Thank You

FUN FUN

Comment

As Vulcan says, take it slow. All the maps are going to be new to you so it's best to ask at the beginning of the round. "Where should I go?" Someone will let you know the best spot to set up if your a T on Hostie maps or a CT on Bomb maps. If you're on offense, then it's best to just follow someone and cover them.
                You won't really begin to learn the maps until you've played them a couple times on each side, and maps like de_aaa will take you a bit longer to grasp. In the end though I'll stress this again. If you have a mic use it, and if you don't go to Walmat/Target ect... and buy one. The key to great team play is good communications.
                A couple more tips, bind a key to bandage, when on CT side in a bomb map buy a Defusal Kit if you can, it may cost $200 but it's priceless when that timers getting close to 60 sec. When you set-up on defense, have a fallback position already established that you can get to quickly, preferably one that will allow a teammate to cover you as you retreat. Always communicate to your team your position and if you see or hear the OpFor, give a good sitrep.
                On weapons. The CV-47 is one of the best rifles in the game. One round to the head is a kill, but it's not a good weapon to spray with. M4 I usually use silenced, seems to have a better pattern, but mainly it can give you a split second more because the target may not realize where the rounds are coming from. The Sig and Bullpup are comparable, very accurate when zoomed, but a slower rate of fire than the other rifles. The Scout is limited to one per team, and I wouldn't take it until you've had some practice.
                MP-5 is a good sub machine gun, avoid the TMP, and UMP. Very poor accuracy at range. The P-90's 1st 4 shots are pretty accurate but after that it's spray and pray.
                The Desert Eagle is the most powerful pistol, one shot kills to the head, but it's not the greatest for accuracy, and only holds 7 rounds. The USP is decent. The Glock is pretty poor, has burst fire, and decent accuracy, but it does little damage. The P-228 is a good choice, and I like the 5-7 for it's high capacity and decent accuracy. Elites aren't that bad, 30 rounds and decent power, but slow to draw, and the left pistol tends to shoot left, and the right one tends to shoot right.
                If you get into a situation where you're holding down the trigger and rockin' and rollin', don't have your reticle on their head. Aim below the waistline, or at their feet depending on the weapon. The muzzle rise will give you headshots.
                For pure practice on the first load screen click on "Create Server". This will load up an empty map, you can add bots if you wish. When the map you choose has loaded, go into console and type sv_showimpacts 1. This command will show where your rounds are hitting, it will also show you which objects in a given map you can shoot through. If you have bots added, everytime you shot a bot it will show the wireframe hitbox, and where your shot registered.
                Lastly if you have a very poor computer there are ways to increase your FPS through using an Autoexec.cfg tailored to your requirements.This is a little more advanced and you will probably need help getting the right set-up for your computer. Don't hesitate to ask for help.
                The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty". -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
                  And also for reserved slot members.
                  He's an SM so he shouldn't have that problem. :) Also make sure you enter your Steam ID into your profile page on the forums, or your reserved slot won't work. To get your ID, go into the TG server, then go into console by hitting tilda, the key next to 1. Then type "status" this will show you a list of all players including youself. Just copy your ID. The whole line will look like this
                  # 17 "Orgetorix |TG|" STEAM_0:1:10722667 00:38 82 0 active.
                  You only need this STEAM_0:1:10722667
                  The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty". -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Thanks for the words. It took me a while to figure out why my console wasn't working but I fixed that. I don't have a working mic atm, but I plan on getting a new one this week. I look forward to seeing more of you in-game.
                    "All warfare is based on deception."
                    -Sun Tzu

Comment

Well I'm glad you didn't get scared off too bad from the bad start. I know one of the more difficult concepts to get a hang of moving here from BF2 is not having a full map view to look at. This can cause problems when trying to follow orders, but just tell everyone right away you're new to the map and your team can put you in a squad. To better learn maps, I find it good to zoom around in free look mode, especially climbing way above the map to get a birds-eye view (you'll need to be dead to do this).

Also, I'd like to throw in a couple ideas about CS:S concepts that you may not have learned yet:
                      Always buy a defuse kit as CT (on de_ maps). Always.
                      Use burst fire for the Clarion (also called Famas) as it is insanely accurate and powerful (CT rifle)
                      Never hold down the trigger for the AK-47 (called CV-?? ingame). It just doesn't work...
                      Using a silencer makes for less spread on going full auto, but does less damage.
                      In lieu of mic, be sure radio commands have binds (default: z x c) and familiarize yourself with them.
                      Going with a pistol will allow you to save up money for a round, but may render you useless for that round. Consider buying at least a Deagle (called Nighthawk or something) or MP5 to make the most out of both rounds.

Those are just some basic thoughts; you'll advance in knowledge way beyond that in a few weeks. :)

Comment

Going with a pistol will allow you to save up money for a round, but may render you useless for that round. Consider buying at least a Deagle (called Nighthawk or something) or MP5 to make the most out of both rounds.
                        This is pretty sound advice, however use a real pistal, 228 (cheaper than the deagal and larger clip) plus this is a real sniper pistal.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Not having a mic and being new might have caused you problems just from the simple lack of communication.

I think we get pretty spolied becuase 90%+ of the regulars use a mic. Letting your team know you don't have a mic when you come in will probably make things easier for you because we will understand your coms will be limited and your not just ignoring your team.

Give it another shot, as soon as people know you are trying to learn they will be more than accommodating I am sure.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X