This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making openable doors

Whenever I make a func_door_rotating in hammer, the only way to open it is to run into it. Is there a way to make doors open when you press 'e'?

Also, whenever I jump onto one of my prop_physics_multiplayer props, I fall through the top. It then pushes me to the outside of the object. Do I need to set it's mass scale to something besides 0?
    Pyronoid |TG|

Re: Making openable doors

Never mind about the doors. All you have to do is edit some of the spawn flags.
    Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Yes. Properties/flags. You'll have toggles for Activate with Use, Bump Opens, &c.

All physics props behave that way. If you're dealing with stuff that will move, "you'll get over it." </fark> If you're dealing with stuff that won't move or be destroyed, wrap it with a PLAYERCLIP brush. Ensure it's a few units taller than the object so the push effect won't happen.

Extra Point: The server switch sv_turbophysics 1 gets rid of the annoying and unrealistic push effect, allowing you to stand on things normally. However, no one uses it because it allows people to move the C4 by USEing it. (Silly, huh?)

Comment

Is sv_turbophysics 1 a "cheat"?
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I wouldn't expect so, since it's an SV_... if you can toggle the SV_'s you have the power of Greyskull and can do whatever you want.

Valve ticked me off and made showbudget a cheat. I can see how if someone is really slick they could watch the barcharts to detect events you wouldn't normally perceive and thus 'cheat,' but it's a terrible loss of a powerful FPS-saving tool. Now when the game chokes up I don't know if it's my video, my CPU, or the mapper.

So now I must blame the mapper by default since ultimately mappers are to blame for all non-chronic performance issues. Boneheads.

Comment

Hear that, HF? You're already to blame for any problems I have when I play on your maps.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Hey thanks Magna, this helped a bunch.

HF and I are both working on a map which had alot of door problems.

Comment

Oh, magna, what are we supposed to do with stuff that _will_ move?

Comment

There's nothing you can do. If it's a moving prop, it's going to suffer the fall-through and bumper effect.

Comment

If it's moving, deal with it. It's like eating soggy hot dogs. You'll live.
                    Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Hijacking my own thread lol:row__631:. Anyway, I'm trying to make water that moves (I had working water, but that's no fun, is it?). I changed the top surface to a water_movingplane texture. Then I pressed Ctrl + T and made it a func_water_analog. This water's movement has to be triggered to move using an output called 'open' (or 'close'). Is there a way to 'open' it as soon as the map starts?

EDIT: (Some people that we won't name (whistler) are complaining that we should have another sub-forum for mapping (So they don't have to read the mapping ones). Rather than starting a new thread and therefore causing them more disgruntled(ness?), I'm using this thread.)
                      Last edited by highly_flammable; 06-29-2007, 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to say it in the original post...
                      Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Add a button to the map that players can press to start the water.
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I've never tried making a map for source, so I may be way off base, but couldn't you make a trigger that will be activated by players spawning into the game or at least as soon as they move off the start area?

Comment

Solution: Logic_auto entity. This can trigger it when the map starts.
                            Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

That sounds more like a hack than a solution.
                              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X