Steam's Running but not visable or usable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Running but not visable or usable

Ok I need some help here. Steam is running but not visible in the taskbar. When I try to run a program through steam nothing happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and also repaired steam multiple times. Even after all that it still does not show up or work. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Steam's Running but not visable or usable

Start your task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) - do you see steam.exe listed there?

Comment

If you do what Doorway says and it is indeed there, right click > end process > restart steam.
      | | |

Comment

If he's reinstalled then that would rule this out. Something else is going on it seems.

Try deleting your entire valve directory and reinstalling from scratch.

- -

Comment

I've uninstalled the whole program and reinstalled it and still the task manager shows itís running but I still canít access any games or the main program.

Comment

Hmm did you delete the valve folder? If you didn't, you'll still have leftover files that get used again causing the same bugs.

You could also have something else running or a windows glitch that's causing steam to not function properly. I'd assume steam is the problem first.

- -

Comment

There is no valve folder and the support web site does not give a good idea of what types of programs that could case this problem.

Comment

Well that might be a problem because without a valve folder then you have nothing.

- -

Comment

So how do I get that folder back on so I can play? Remember I have done a complete reinstall of steam and it still does not work.

Comment

Uninstall steam, then look under program files for valve or steam (whatever and wherever you installed it) and delete the folder. Once you've cleared the entire installation off the hard drive then reinstall. Make sure when your reinstalling that you close any background and running programs. This includes anti virus, firewalls and monitoring programs.

- -

Comment

Ok got it working. Don't know which background program it was but for me to play anything on steam I have to close all back ground running programs. Thanks for the help Vulcan.

Comment

This has been happening to me too. I open steam, it doesnt show in task bar, so then I crt+Alt+delete and end steam.exe

Once I do this, I reopen steam and it loads, I've had some times where it didnt work, but I just did a quick a reboot and repeated above steps and it worked fine.

Hope this helps.
                        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...