Steam-less

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam-less

Hello there CS:S community, this is MasterEditorInChief. I joined TG playing Battlefield 2 and 2142, but recently the videos for Portal and Team Fortress 2 caught the attention of my sister and I. We're both very enthusiastic about possible TG support for TF2, and I'm very excited about Portal. However, I know they're available on through Steam and run on the Half Life 2 engine. I want to know, if I want to get Team Fortress 2 and Portal, does that mean I have to go download Half Life 2? I mean, I wouldn't mind if I had to since it's such a highly regarded game, but if it isn't necessary, I don't want to spend the extra money.
    sigpic

Formerly of the fabled 3rd Special Forces Detachment

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Re: Steam-less

No, TF2 is going to be a standalone product.

Check out this article.
    | | |

Comment

Is that the right Team Fortress 2?
      sigpic

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Comment

I do believe so.
        | | |

Comment

Hmn, everything I've heard so far has been a single package known as the Orange Box.

My guess is that you will only be able to buy it as a packaged deal for a while, than when sales taper off they will break it into individual pieces. The orange box is expected to retail at $40+, and I doubt that you will see TF2 by itself for less than $30, and that is after waiting a year.

-Aaron

Comment

aww, poo
            sigpic

Comment

Huh...I dug around some more and it looks like you're right Schwa...I wonder what the crap that article was talking about then.
              | | |

Comment

That article was talking about the original TF which for some odd reason they are calling it TF2.

- -

Comment

http://pc.ign.com/articles/790/790013p1.html

Apparently the Black Box is still supposed to be availiable over Steam, even though it won't be avaliable for retail, at least according to Wikipedia.
                  - Drake_Anra

Comment

That says the black box has been cancelled.

- -

Comment

Aww crap, and the article says it will retail at $50.

Screw that, I'm buying the Painkiller Gold pack at $10. Who is up for some co-op?

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by MasterEditorInChief View Post
                        aww, poo
                        The Orange Box has got to be the best deal in gaming since the HL2 Silver Package. If you don't have HL2 yet, get the Orange Box. You'll not regret it.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

But if you do own HL2 already...it's kinda giving you the shaft.
                          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                            But if you do own HL2 already...it's kinda giving you the shaft.
                            I thought that Steam was still going to offer a "black box" package, but they just weren't going to throw together a retail "black box".

Makes sense to me.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I was under the impression that the orange box was for retail only. The standalone TF2 should be available by Steam, just like all the other games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X