• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server, Skins, and Tweaking?

#############
    ### Intro ###
    #############

Well, I have three major issues to talk about. One deals with the problems of my server. Another deals with some skin / texture display issues. The last, but still important, deals with tweaking system settings. This is my first post, but I am sure it will not be my last. Let's begin with my

##############
    ### Server ###
    ##############

I've had a server going for a while. It hasn't been a real server, just a dedicated windows server than I ran when I wanted to play with my friends. It had CSSDM and Mani Admin Plugin going on it for a long time. Then Metamod Source can out, which many people upgraded to, including Mani, and the creator of CSSDM. So I upgraded to Metamod Source. No big deal. Now here comes the confusing part. SourceMod came out a little bit ago. It is supposed to allow anybody to create a server plugin with its easy to use pawn langauge. I don't know that much about it, except that when CSSDM was upgraded, it was coded with SourceMod. I upgraded my server, putting RPGx on it, and the problems began. The problems have nothing to do with the new plugin, but the plugins in general. Before I upgraded to SouceMod, I could run my server in either listen, or dedicated mode. Now, however, I can only administer it from the dedicated server mode. It seems as though Metamod and SourceMod do not load when creating a listen server. Let me illustrate the plugins using a diagram.

##############################
    # Metamod ****************** #
    # ****** Mani Admin Plugin * #
    # ****** SourceMod ********* #
    # ************ CSS:DM 2.0 ** #
    # ************ RPGx ******** #
    ##############################

This diagram, which took my a very long time to create, should clear things up a little bit. How do I know that nothing is loading with the listen server? Simple. When the dedicated server is started, it has its own console. I can type things into the console, such as "meta", which brings up the commands that Metamod Source supports. Anyway, when starting a listen mode server, these commands do not come up. Instead, I receive an error that no such command exists. This means that the plugin did not load. When creating a listen server, the console where I would type these things is the same console that the game uses. When the game loads up, these plugins should load up as well, at least, they loaded up before I upgraded to SourceMod, so they should still continue to load up. When the game loads, the Mani Admin Plugin configuration file is executed. However, all of the cvars come up as errors. This means that the plugin did not load. If the Mani Admin Plugin did not load, then the SourceMod plugin did not load (I am not just saying this, I tested to see if the plugin loaded, it did not). I am not having these problems with the dedicated server. With the dedicated server, the only problem I am having is that the RPGx plugin does not work. I am guessing that this problem is either from a lack of human players, or a problem with the configuration file, since it was working at one point. Bottom line ... Why is my listen server not loading the plugins correctly? Is SourceMod not designed to function with the client? Is the error with SourceMod causing the Mani Admin Plugin to not load as well? I am not an expert, but I do know that things were working before I upgraded to SourceMod, and that this problem is only occuring with the listen server. Okay, now for the issue involving the

#############
    ### Skins ###
    #############

I have noticed that I am not the only one experience problems when it comes to the lack of a skin texture being displayed. Thank GOD! It seems as though this problem only occurs on this server. I do not know why, or how. All I know is that it is a real hassle. What problem am I talking about? Hold your horses, I am about to explain it. When joining the server, the skin and sound files download. What the game does with them, I do not know. What I do know is that the texture files, more specifically, the skin textures, are not displayed. Instead, the letters "ERROR" are displayed where a skin should be in bright red letters. This is both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that I know where you are. Before you pop around a corner, I can see the "OR" of the "ERROR" sticking out. It almost seems like a hack. However, there are several problems associated with this. The first problem occurs when somebody on the team that uses this skin texture appears as "ERROR", and somebody from the enemy team that uses this skin texture also appears as "ERROR", its hard to tell the good guy(s) from the bad guy(s). Looking up at the radar works, but by the time I comprehend that this is an enemy, the enemy has shot me dead. Attacking a teammate is not fun either. The second problem is trying to figure out where to shoot. Aiming for the gun sometimes works, but it is still a challenge. I have also noticed that sometimes not texture is loaded at all. In this case, the person becomes invisible, except for the guns and equipment that s/he carries. Armor does not affect the skin texture, is a code aspect.

At one point, I thought I had this problem fixed. Here is what I did, maybe it will help somebody. I went into my cstrike folder. Normally, this folder can be found in the following location...C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<user name here without the brackets>\Counter-Strike Source

If the folder is not in this location, then ... well ... find it. Inside this folder, there are a bunch of folders. I could tell you to delete the cfg folder, but I am not that much of an ... at least, not to people I do not know. The folder that we are interested is called "materials". Open up that folder, and then proceed to the models folder, then the players folder. There should many folders in here. Open up each folder and there should be between 5 and 10 files. If there are any compressed files, extract them to that current location and delete the compressed files. If there are sub-folders, do the same within those. I did this for all of the files with the sub-folders of the cstrike\materials\models\players directory. This fixed my problem, both with the "ERROR" and invisible people. And last but not least, let's talk about some

################
    ### Tweaking ###
    ################

I recently re-downloaded all of my gcf files, the huge files in the SteamApps folder. I was messing with my configuration file, and screwed up my game. I do not know which setting caused my problems, but it only seemed to happen when I connected to the TG server. This is a general warning, do not mess with engine settings, they might seem as though they are harmless, but that can devastate the game, and cause the system to become unstable. Even if the virtual system memory is disabled, the system will still use it. That's just how windows works. Messing with settings is best done by placing them in a separate configuration file, namely the autoexec.cfg. This way, if there is a problem, just rename the autoexec.cfg file and the game will run just fine. Tweaking the settings of the engine will increase the FPS, but decrease the performance. It can also work the other way around, decreasing FPS, and increasing quality. The later is not discussed as much, if at all, which is probably why I am having a problem. For more information on tweaking your game configuration, please visit h(tea)(tea)p://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=16

I wanted to see more quality from my game, so I reversed most, if not all of the settings. My game crashed again and again, but only seemed to crash when I joined this server. My guess is that the maps on this server are much larger here. I seemed to have two problems, one, I ran out of memory. Two, I experienced a critical error with my video card, something to do with Direct X. I will not go into details. All I will say is this, messing with some of these settings can have major affects on game performance, for better or for worse (better quality). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I spent many hours trying to figure out what was causing my problems. The best solution, as I have already said, is to simply delete the configuration file with the changed settings. If you do delete a file, make sure to delete the correct one. Thanks for your help, and I look forward to shooting your brains out in game! The

###########
    ### End ###
    ###########
    Last edited by Vulcan; 08-14-2007, 11:58 PM. Reason: removed font.
    That's like playing Russian roulette with a shotgun.
    "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." -Noam Chompsky
    Everyone knows TG stands for Tiny Gnomes. Or is it Talented Gnomes? I can never remember.
    I support the OPNSLP - Organization for the Protection of Neurotic Squirrels that Live in Pudding
    "I don't see the point," said the sane person. "Then try sharpening your eyes," responded the crazy.

Re: Server, Skins, and Tweaking?

how is this relevant to TG CSS?

- -

Comment

Well, the skin part is about the TG server..

Comment

The reason I was using that font was so that the diagram and the subject separators would appear correctly. In order to appear correctly, a fixed width font has to be used. Anyway, about the skins. Another problem I have been having with THIS server(s) in particular, is that I have to download the skins every time the map switches. There seems to be a way around this. Once in the server, go to the game console and type "status". The server ip should be displayed (there are other ways to do this). Open up a web browser and enter that IP, without the port. For example, if the IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27015, just enter xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the web browser. What should appear is a few folders, or just one, depending on the server. Browse the the cstrike\materials\models\players folder and copy all those folders to their respective location as described in my original post, extracting the files that are compressed if need be. That seemed to fix the problem for me. There is also a much easier way, which involves next to no work at all, just 3 commands. The first command is "cl_minmodels 1". This command forces the game to only use one skin model per team. The other two commands are not really necessary, but are "cl_min_ct [1-5]" and "cl_min_t [1-5]". The 1-5 represents the model to choose for the respective team. It corresponds to the menu options when choosing a skin when a map loads. These models cannot be messed up, unless the user modifies the gcf files located in the SteamApps folder. This is not recommended ... in other words, DO NOT MESS WITH THE GCF FILES. This should take care of any skin problems. As for the other texture problems, downloading the cstrike folder from the server IP as described above into your local cstrike folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<user name here without the brackets>\Counter-Strike Source) can also fix the problem. Please keep responses to this thread on subject. The subject of this thread deals with server problems experienced by the end-user(s). If you are experiencing any problems with the game, or the server, feel free to reply in this thread.
        That's like playing Russian roulette with a shotgun.
        "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." -Noam Chompsky
        Everyone knows TG stands for Tiny Gnomes. Or is it Talented Gnomes? I can never remember.
        I support the OPNSLP - Organization for the Protection of Neurotic Squirrels that Live in Pudding
        "I don't see the point," said the sane person. "Then try sharpening your eyes," responded the crazy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X