Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source SDK

Okay here's the deal, folks;

I've decided to learn to make maps in my spare time, but I have some trouble gettings the SDK to work properly. Initially it wouldn't start, so I discovered it's necessary to add "-engine ep1" or something to the launch options.

After that, I setup my config for CSS and upon finishing and pressing OK, it crashes with an error report ready to send thingy-majig.

Joy. Any help?

Former E1st Heavyweight

Re: Source SDK

Can you post up the exact error message it gives you?

Comment

I just tried to run it again and it seems to be fine and now has pre-configured game setups.

Now for the hard part, mapping!

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Mapping is the easiest part of making a map. :D

Just remember to be kind to the BSP, align your textures, and stay on the dang grid.

Comment

What you're going to want to do is develop a very aesthetically pleasing map and convince one of the admins to throw it on the server. Make sure to insist it gets played when there are a bunch of people on so they can see how pretty it is.

You're going to want to make sure the offensive team can reach the objectives BEFORE the defending team.

Within a week people will comment on how great it is, if only those little problems were corrected.

After that you can just kick back, relax, and watch Assault fix all of your mistakes.

Good luck with your mappings, mate.

Comment

lol tritone. Your right, also I'm not one to talk but it seems it is very time consuming to build a map. If you want you can look through the map thread and try to fix some of the old maps that couldn't make it.

Its perfect because everyone tells you whats wrong with the maps. So you already have feedback posts. Like I was saying in an earlier post some maps that the T's can beat the CT to maybe you can figure out how to slow them down. Good luck and thank you :)

FUN FUN

Comment

It's time consuming if you need to do it twice, which is why it's important to plan and do it right the first time; and to catch yourself before you do something stupid. For example, if you know what your map's visual theme is and that it'll take a while, beta test it with simple brush geometry and ensure you don't need to move any rooms around before you put on your interior decorator hat.

Comment

Originally posted by .tritone. View Post
                After that you can just kick back, relax, and watch Assault fix all of your mistakes.
                Valve should've released their vanilla maps at TG first. Assault, can you fix de_dust2 so it doesn't suck, please?
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by .tritone. View Post
                  What you're going to want to do is develop a very aesthetically pleasing map and convince one of the admins to throw it on the server. Make sure to insist it gets played when there are a bunch of people on so they can see how pretty it is.

You're going to want to make sure the offensive team can reach the objectives BEFORE the defending team.

Within a week people will comment on how great it is, if only those little problems were corrected.

Good luck with your mappings, mate.
                  Haha :P Now that's an idea.

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
                  I'm not one to talk but it seems it is very time consuming to build a map. If you want you can look through the map thread and try to fix some of the old maps that couldn't make it.

Its perfect because everyone tells you whats wrong with the maps. So you already have feedback posts. Like I was saying in an earlier post some maps that the T's can beat the CT to maybe you can figure out how to slow them down. Good luck and thank you :)
                  Hmm, very tempting. I'll take a look!

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                  Valve should've released their vanilla maps at TG first. Assault, can you fix de_dust2 so it doesn't suck, please?
                  If only it didn't suck...they didn't even make it pretty for Source :(

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

So have you been looking through tutorials then, and if so due have an idea of the map you will make ? Also why is your name not 1er why confuse me.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by † Disciple † View Post
                      So have you been looking through tutorials then, and if so due have an idea of the map you will make ? Also why is your name not 1er why confuse me.
                      I've no idea what to make, if you have any ideas then do tell :) I'm just getting to grips with Hammer again at the moment; as I haven't made a map since I played CS 1.6.

As for the name, I signed up way before I'd decided on one. Is there any way to have it changed?

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Yup you could pm a guy called Asch i suppose and asked to get it changed, although i wouldn't make a habbit of it.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Asch will change your name. I don't think he'll do it on a regular basis for you, but once is acceptable. Besides, you're a supporting member.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X