Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial kill points

This is just a random musing...

I have read on a few forum posts about people wanting to squeeze out extra points, etc and so on. Not that big an issue here at TG, of course - but
    I also have had several times been where I damaged multiple enemies without finishing any off (and I admit reaped the rewards of getting a kill due to doing 5 health to them).

a) How hard would it be to try out a kill point decimal system? I got 1.84 kills!

b) Does this impact some sacred stat keeping somewhere where people would care?

c) Am I a crazy nut job (OK, I am, but on this issue specifically)

d) Anyone else wondered about this?

e) I just wondered if this might alleviate a little of the point whoring that occurs in a minimal fashion here...

f) It might make me feel better about myself as a person (yeah.. i know.. you don't care LOL)

g) Would be a more realistic portrayal of each person's contribution/score? I mean we already sort of do this by giving points for planting/defusing/rescuing.

Just my $8 worth (hey... is that how much my membership is nowadays? I haven't been paying attention. If it is, does that mean I can't ask anymore questions this month?)

I'm not really attached to this... It is just something I've wondered about multiple times.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: Partial kill points

Well, I'm going to respond with the expected response...

The only score that matters is your team score.

For instance, I may be holding the scout and not fire a single shot in one round...but I'm constantly giving intel to my team on enemy movements and positions. There is no possible way to reflect this in the point system, but I still walk away from those kind of rounds with a lot of pride knowing where and how I contributed to my team's success.

Kills and assisted kills are just one part of what goes into a successful team. We all know and have seen the guy that just runs off killing everything in his path, ends up with an outrageous k/d ratio, but still contributes nothing toward teamwork and communication. If I could, I'd remove any acknowledgement of kills in the point system and instead would rather it reflect contributions toward the team...but there really is no way to measure that accurately within the game system itself. Instead we rely on peers to pat each other on the back and do simple things like write up ribbon nominations so we can kick back with pride at the end of the day knowing we did a good job.
    | | |

Comment

Yeah Sky I feel we should get rid of the singleplayer score all together so we don't have to worry about the killhunters as much. Just team score is all thats needed. We don't wanna run stats. If you play alongside certain people enough you know there score and what they do or do not bring to the team.

FUN FUN

Comment

I've been working to modify the score to show more objective oriented points. There are some options for scoring though and looking into it.

and what dog said. If you take notice, the successful team isn't the guys with the mad aiming skills on our server. It's the ones coming up with good plans and using communication and teamwork. Player presence withstanding of course.

- -

Comment

Is it possible to totally eliminate scoring by kills so that only objective points are awarded? This would really motivate people to go for the objective and not the kills.
          Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

We need someone to write valve a letter to help us out. If we could do some of these things the game would most deffinatly change for the better.

FUN FUN

Comment

Spar, if we left it up to Valve sure they'd eliminate the scoring system, but they would also find some new and creative way to break the game engine - Most likely in a way that forces the dev crew to completely rewrite the realism mod.

Comment

Originally posted by .tritone. View Post
                Spar, if we left it up to Valve sure they'd eliminate the scoring system, but they would also find some new and creative way to break the game engine - Most likely in a way that forces the dev crew to completely rewrite the realism mod.
                heh "crew" it's one guy :P

It used to be possible to disable the scoreboard but it was a clientside thing and I think you can still do it on your end but the server can't do it for clients as they connect anymore. You can't make the scoreboard disappear but you can change how scores work.

- -

Comment

hostage capture should be worth more so more people are motivated to capture them, or killing should only be worth a half point, and when the team wins, everyone should gain a point along with the team point, eliminating the score would be a pretty good idea, it seems lately, there are new people on during the non-night time play (before 6pm central or so) where when i log on, there are no T guarding hosties, or no CT anywhere near a bomb site, bomb is in front of the group going on a killing spree, and with one or two people on the server whos name rings a slight bell in the back of my mind, these people would kill half the opposing team, look at their score (which they do every half minute) and be like doublyouteeEff?!?!! why is my score 0... they would then leave and let the server get played like we like to play it..!!