Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here running 64-bit Vista with CS:S?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here running 64-bit Vista with CS:S?

Hey guys,

I'm close to finishing out my next system, but I wanted to know if any of you here run Vista 64-bit with CS:S?

Any problems?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Anyone here running 54-bit Vista with CS:S?

lol the Title for the thread says 54-bit.

I have heard people say OMG VISTA = PROBLEMS AHHH

To each is own... But those guys must be XD Tards? IDK

To answer your question more directly. I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Core2 Duo E6600, 4GB Corsair DDR2 800 Dual Channel XMS, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, EVGA 8800 GTS 512 (G92 Core), 320GB SATA II Seagate HDD, blah blah blah, etc.

I have never had trouble with CS:S or anything for that matter. Everything runs super smooth and I super love it. I don't know why people are having problems with vista, or if they really are having problems. Maybe they just went download crazy and added 2000 virus and that gave them trouble... who knows. (I did get a small virus once... Only real problem so far. Restored to the day before and it worked perfectly.)

Since Vista has been out awhile now you shouldn't have trouble with drivers. I have run Photoshop, office 2007, bit torrent, aim, teamspeak, ventrilo, CS:S, Half-Life everything, portal, BF2, BF Vietnam, BF 1942, GTA III, GTA San Andreas, WOW, Project Reality, Crysis, Crysis 64-bit, NFSU2, and then some...

Crysis in 64-bit gave me some trouble half way through on my first run through the game. Discovered that borrowing a game save from someone else fixed it. Somehow my game save became corrupted. Not sure why. Just got laggy and the graphics were all fragmented... IDK... Lame but worked through it.

If I type quit in console in CS:S I get a message when it closes that HL2 has stopped running, error, etc. I think Spar gets it too. It has never bugged me enough to look for a fix, but there might be one. I just hit cancel and don't care about it.

I'd be happy to answer any more detailed questions you may have.

Comment

LOL.. Yeah saw that 54-bit thing, my first thought was, "Did this poor guy find some Chinese edition or something?".

Anyway.. same experience as Neski, except I don't play CS:S - but other Source engined stuff runs fine... well.. good.. ok well really good.

I think there is a small frame-rate hit on some titles but on my system the frame rate drop still leaves my an a good frame rate range.
      sigpic

Comment

I actually caught that mistake and corrected it like 5 seconds after I posted.

Okay thanks for the replies. Neski your detailed response was better than I had hoped for. I also had concerns about Photoshop too since I've been dependent on it for all my graphics and texturing needs.

Well I tend to think that many of those Vista haters don't know enough about their hardware or troubleshooting. So yeah, their opinions don't affect since I know what I'm building and have done enough troubleshooting in the past.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Well I tend to think that many of those Vista haters don't know enough about their hardware or troubleshooting. So yeah, their opinions don't affect since I know what I'm building and have done enough troubleshooting in the past.

That's exactly how I feel.

Comment

Yea, I have tride both 64 and 32 vista and I get the same error when exiting.

Everything else works fine.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

54 bit isn't so strange. At one time I worked for a company that made a 36 bit computer. (It was a clone of DEC's mainframe.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36-bit

IEEE-754 floating point format uses a 53-bit mantissa, so I figured maybe this was an odd reference to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754-1985
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Re: Anyone here running 64-bit Vista with CS:S?

I fixed the title for you. :)

- -

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
                  Yea, I have tride both 64 and 32 vista and I get the same error when exiting.

Everything else works fine.
                  Same for me! Running 64 bit and have no problems at all. :) Only that strange exiting-error.
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by big-eye101 View Post
                    Same for me! Running 64 bit and have no problems at all. :) Only that strange exiting-error.
                    Wow me too! What are the odds :P
                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

I get the HL2 exiting error as well, but it affects nothing. As for Vista x64, I am able to sustain 220+ FPS with my computer solidly. I have had no issues for a year and a half running CSS on Vista. I actually enjoy using Vista because I can easily alt/tab out of the game in a split second where XP would literally take me a good minute.

Ignore all the Vista haters and go with it, you will not be dissappointed!!
                      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I'm running Vista, and a lot of games have some kind of problems. Nothing big though. And the updates have apparently fixed them up, since I don't get them anymore as much. All HL2 games sometimes give the "HL2.exe encountered a error" or something like that, but it doesn't affect the games. When I quit CSS it usually freezes, showing me one frame. Sometimes it goes out of it on it's own, but I usually just alt+tab out. The Witcher crashes a lot during the first part, and Crysis had some trouble running, at least in full screen mode. Could have been fixed though. I haven't encountered anything even close to gamebreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
                          Me to, no other problems in vista, but you know that all the settings for ther graphic and res are kept in the registry? so reinstalling everything will not touch those settings.

If you know enough about the registry, try deleting this string:
                          HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1347906923-4136830485-425858403-1000\Software\Valve\Source\cstrike\Settings

(do search for "valve" the numbers will be different)
                          Has anyone tried this? I never I'm to scared I guess :) Oh this is for the HL2 stopped error.

FUN FUN

Comment

I like Vista better than XP now lol, I see a lot of companies still offering XP for their gaming platforms but you have to look ahead cause pretty soon there wont be games that support XP anymore or at least not popular ones. For example Delta Force 2 for 98 lol. But theres always compatability mode for Vista so in theory you can run anything.
                            Sorry I only play Hardcore!

Pain and suffering are inevitable, misery is not!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X