Time Limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Limit

I feel that it should be reduced. I know why we have it so high, but the reality is that that time is just never used productively. Invariably, the round will come down to just one or two offensive guys left either taking their very sweet time, or just camping outright.

The number one complaint on the server is that "If we have to play defensively, shouldn't they have to play offensively?" I can't argue with that one.

As I said, I know why the limit is high, and I agree with it in principle. But until we get more regulars on who actually would use even 50% of that time, it is a waste.

Also, can we get the words "FF ON" in the server name, so that people will not join the game, fire on a teammate, and then say that they did not know that FF was on? It also might attract a certain type of player that we want.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Time Limit

Great points!

What do you think, six minutes, five?

I also think that too many people are used to rounds ending in 45 seconds to a minute and get impatient really easily. Offensive play does not necessarily mean running and gunning in an all-out one time attack. Seems this is one of the challenges in that new people that play here have to learn a little "camping" etiquette and not get ants in their pants wanting to chase after the opposition once seen to the other side of the map if necessary. Perhaps we should try a five minute timelimit, personally I like the sound of six much better.

Comment

I have no complaints with the timer the way it is.

That having been said, I have no complaints with lowering it in response to Tempus' valid point.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't really see the problem with the 7 minute time limit. I would rather people have the opportunity to use extra time than be forced to do it quicker. Granted, it's not a common thing to need the whole 7 minutes but I would like to allow for it.

I'm really not a fan of pubby-cizing the server.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
          I don't really see the problem with the 7 minute time limit. I would rather people have the opportunity to use extra time than be forced to do it quicker. Granted, it's not a common thing to need the whole 7 minutes but I would like to allow for it.

I'm really not a fan of pubby-cizing the server.
          keep 7minutes..

the run and gunners (that we dont want) will soon get bored being dead, and watching for 5minutes, and should learn: take your time next time... or they could just insult us for camping.... which is a good method of weeding out the non PCS players.
          From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
            I don't really see the problem with the 7 minute time limit.
            Thank-you!

Comment

The problem with the 7 minute timer is that it's almost never necessary... I don't think I've ever seen a round end by time, and rarely with less than a couple minutes left. Shorter time limits encourage the offensive team to attack. If they fail to do so for so long then I don't have a problem with them losing the round by time. Just shaving a minute or two off the timer would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                The problem with the 7 minute timer is that it's almost never necessary... I don't think I've ever seen a round end by time, and rarely with less than a couple minutes left. Shorter time limits encourage the offensive team to attack. If they fail to do so for so long then I don't have a problem with them losing the round by time. Just shaving a minute or two off the timer would help a lot.
                but it gives us the option to use it

ive got close to it many times, of coarse all the pubbies was moaning......
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                  No, the problem is that we still have a bunch of fragmonkeys running around on non-PCS maps. I used to think Apophis was being overly harsh on de_dust, but I now see that he wasn't. There's no other way to play that map than to simply rush to the corridor and shoot it out... Mindless deathmatch...

The reason you haven't seen rounds go the full 7 minutes is because you're seeing team deathmatch tactics...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I can't think of any scenarios that give the attacking team a legitimate reason to wait 5+ minutes before moving in. When a game lasts that long it's because somebody on the attacking team is not doing his job, like the Ts that camp the other end of the tunnel in de_dust. Doesn't the "play the objectives" rule apply to the attackers as well? You don't have to rush to finish a game in under, say, 5 minutes. On top of that, long time limits don't do anything to discourage rushers; they're still going to rush and you're still going to have to kick them.

I think the time limit is unnecessary because I've never seen a reasonable game that required a full 7 minutes. When was the last time you saw a game last that long when both teams played their objectives? If the attacking team is unwilling to fulfill its objective, which is to attack, in a reasonable amount of time, then they should lose. That's what the time limit is for in the first place.

Comment

It has been needed in the past, Zek, based on experience. Consider how long it takes to regroup from a failed attack, make a new plan and attack again while co-ordinating a flanking group or a distraction play. Then if that attack fails try again. Of course, map size and layout plays a big part.

Also travel times will be much higher on this server because people will crouch/walk most of the time. Right now there is so much running that silence is less useful, but in the old days it was often the case that if you made noise you were owned.

Comment

assault was a good map for this time thing

you wait 4minutes, it makes the T's nervous, then at a set time (lets say 4minutes left) you all rush in from all sides.

really zek, if you think 7 minutes is useless then you arnt being tacticaly minded. the whole point of 7minutes is to let the attacking team CHOOSE when to attack, not be forced into it within the first minutes of the map
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

Is this the GR forums?

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
                            Is this the GR forums?
                            Geez.... Look, if you want to just run around shooting people, there are thousands and thousands of public servers where that's all they know how to play. Please, let's not let the TG server head in that direction...

Comment

Well said, Icecold...

These are not the GR forums, but they are the Tactical Gamer Professional Counter-Strike forums. We have a particular style of play that has been proven to be successful for the type of players we are trying to gain. It was immensely popular when we ran a PCS server in the past and can be again in the future. PCS is responsible for the formation and continued growth that Tactical Gamer has had over the past 7 years.
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X