rates and other stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rates and other stuff

I know i have been experiencing a lot of lag lately...some for server end i think...mostly from my end. so here is my problem. main Ethernet cord is plugged into my wireless g router. from there i have my computer (desktop) hooked up that i play CS on and do everything else, then i have my laptop connected via Ethernet cable too. the only useful bit my laptop plays is the utilization of outlook 2007 and Firefox to surf the forums with while i play. my desktop has no firewall except for the windows defender one that comes with Vista home premium( i know dumb!!!) and possibly the one that comes with my linksys wireless g router. here is my two part question, a) i heard that you can put Linux on your router to make it faster but if your not careful you'll brick it and b) what would a good firewall be to use and c) how do i set it up for gaming?

p.s.

what other setting do you guys play with? i.e. rates and graphics and the like

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: rates and other stuff

One thing I just learned is your Virus scan program has ALOT to do with your gaming I used to get lag , crashes all the time I did some research and found that many of the top virus scan programs McAffe , Norton , Shield Deluxe run constant scanning for viruses and spyware in the background and with these programs it cant be disabled If you get the DX9 Error alot it is most likely your Virus scan program but I found a GREAT program BIT DEFENDER that has a Gamer Mode that disables the things that run in the background so you can play LAG FREE without errors.

I used to have McAffe and hated it since I got bit defendor I have not crashed once and my PC runs much better I highly reccomend it for gamers and it has its own advanced FIREWALL that wont affect your gaming so no need to use your factory windows firewall.
    |TG| Plude220

Comment

cool it sounds like a great program, but how is it on the sercurity end of things??

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Goaliath,
        I think you have the same router as me (actually i have 3 of them running) and I have flashed them all to get rid of the crappy linksys firmware and added the DD-WRT firmware. Give you WAY more control over the router.

here is a good breakdown for you
        lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Wont let me post a link yet so you will have to add the HTTP
        Check it out

Comment

It's really good on security I went with the Total Internet security version its the Middle version it comes with Anti Virus , Firewall , AntiPhising Spam Protection and more. I allso recomend Uniblue's Powersuit It has 3 programs that clean's Registry's , Spyware frees up hard disk space and system memory It helped me out alot I had over 1500 Registry's slowin me down.
          |TG| Plude220

Comment

Have you considered plugging your internet connection directly to your PC?

Perhaps its a QOS/Router related issue. (or at least part issue)
            Jon Biloh - Pub Game Servers
            Home of the QUALITY $1 / Slot Server
            pubgameservers.com

Comment

yep tried that still the same....havent tried the link that odin gave me but i have looked at it and i think that its the way i am going to go!!! thanks for the help

Comment

Another fun thing about that firmware flash is it allows you to hijack your neighbors bandwidth with the ability to act as a client on unsecured wireless networks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X