Rough night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough night

Boy was it a rough night on the admins tonight. I don't think they had a break from warning, kicking and banning people. I don't understand why those ppl don't go find a public server to deathmatch on.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Rough night

They do find a public server to DM on... this one.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Yeah, all we can do is persevere though...

It was the toughest night of admin'ing I've had to date, that is certain.

Comment

I've given up on trying to enjoy my play time anymore.. When I join the server, I assume it is only to admin, and any real playing time I get is just considered a bonus.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
          I've given up on trying to enjoy my play time anymore.. When I join the server, I assume it is only to admin, and any real playing time I get is just considered a bonus.
          last night was exactly that for me.
          From Adam Webb

Comment

Anything that us non-admins can do to help out? (besides just following the rules). I was on and it was pretty frustrating, not just playing but watching what the admins had to go through. All I could do was chat to my team telling them to stay back, don't rush, don't hunt, etc.

Was it just a bad night that hopefully won't happen that frequently?
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

just report players to us...we cant see things while playing unless the rusher comes to our view (shoots, runs past us etc). Once we have the name on the "list" we will watch them more

once we are dead we can watch out easyier
              From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                All I could do was chat to my team telling them to stay back, don't rush, don't hunt, etc.
                Asch,

That's generally good enough. If enough peer pressure is put on players like that, they generally will comply or leave. The problems usually get big when someone keeps rushing, an admin warns him about it, the guy mouths off, and the rest of the players start mouthing off in support of said player. Then things get out of hand..

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                  Asch,

That's generally good enough. If enough peer pressure is put on players like that, they generally will comply or leave. The problems usually get big when someone keeps rushing, an admin warns him about it, the guy mouths off, and the rest of the players start mouthing off in support of said player. Then things get out of hand..
                  and i wish there was a kick all or kick multiple in one command.......

ie kickid 207, 206, 170 etc

shame that isnt possible sometimes
                  From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                    and i wish there was a kick all or kick multiple in one command.......
                    ie kickid 207, 206, 170 etc
                    shame that isnt possible sometimes
                    Any modders out there?
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                      just report players to us...
                      Exactly!

I've asked on a few occasions for names while admin'ing and have gotten nothing, I suppose people don't want to be finks or something and would rather play with morons than tarnish their honor...

If there is a problem player that doesn't respond to feedback or instruction give us a name.

I hope it doesn't happen like that too many times again because I'm ready to just start banning people that don't fit and ignore simple instructions. No warning, no kicking, banid 0 baby, I've ****ing had it with idiots. It has been proven on many occasions from my experience that a large percentage of new players on the server that do conform to our style respond quickly when politely schooled, the rest never do and personally I've wasted enough of my time, energy and pathetic hunt-and-peck typing on these culls.

Comment

banid 0 may be a little much. A few hours in the box will get people thinking about their options.

If they're out to DM, they'll find another server. If they're out to play it right and got sidetracked,t hey'll be back. And if they come back and goof it up, whip out the banid 0 then. :)
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Oh discipline notes there was an annoying spammer on tonight name was Jackass and he was certainly living up to it.... check the logs if you need some evidence from around 9:45 Central Time. His Steam ID was 5512519

Comment

Originally posted by Weenis
                            Oh discipline notes there was an annoying spammer on tonight name was Jackass and he was certainly living up to it.... check the logs if you need some evidence from around 9:45 Central Time. His Steam ID was 5512519
                            Thanks Weenis, sorry myself or another admin wasn't around...

In the future you will need to contact Apophis and/or Wyzcrak by PM because they are the only ones to my knowledge that can add SteamIDs to the banned_user.cfg manually (without the player being in the game). You will also need to convey the full SteamID as follows:

STEAM_0:0:5512519

or

STEAM_0:1:5512519

...the 0:0: or 0:1: (I think those are the only two...) must be present also. I'm not sure whether log files are even recorded and viewable by people other than those recorded by an admin using HLSW. Again, you'd best contact Apophis or Wyzcrak by PM in the future as they have full accessability to all of this.

I went through my HLSW logs and found the offending player as well as the guy that was hacking and will send their IDs to Apophis so he can ensure they are banned.

HaxorsInc STEAM_0:1:4334488

}JA{- <---JACKASS---> STEAM_0:0:5512519

I think those are the ones, correct?

Thanks Weenis!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                              banid 0 may be a little much. A few hours in the box will get people thinking about their options.

If they're out to DM, they'll find another server. If they're out to play it right and got sidetracked,t hey'll be back. And if they come back and goof it up, whip out the banid 0 then. :)
                              I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm out to ban anyone that doesn't deserve it. I am and have been very patient with players, typing basic rules and instructions plainly and repeating myself as necessary. Politely explaining why they can't deathmatch and kill all the hostages or spawn-rush repeatedly and then tell us our rules are gay and the admins are nazis. Time after time after time after time. After a few warnings they are usually kicked to get their attention which works very well oddly enough. After they rejoin and proclaim "why the hell was I kicked" then I drop the needle on my broken record once again. Most players fall into line as is evidenced by the many return players we are starting to see. Good players, playing PCS of one description or another. Players that, as represented by Weenis's comments, are standing-up for the server and themselves as players here because they like what we're doing. Going through the server logs tonight that was obvious with the way the whole server dealt with a hacker as a unilateral team because there was no admin around. I'm really delighted to see that kind of solidarity and a concern for the server. Instead of leaving they took this little kook apart and continued their fun. Its probably not perfect but I would submit that the server is starting to become a success because people know that there is no room for hell-raising here.

When I refered to "idiots", I meant people who come on thinking they can do whatever they want despite getting general console messages, as well as instruction from their team, explaining rules and conduct. The ones who wreak havoc, tell me to service myself because the rules are unworthy of their attendance, spam "U R GAY" a couple of hundred times, continually TKing and killing hostages and generally causing a ****storm of chaos and disruption. They're gone! You might think it harsh Pokerface but you haven't been dealing with the server or these people for weeks on end. Many of the old school hardcore PCS players like Apo, Cing, Hem, etc. that are still around have rarely been seen (although they might be too busy in general)because last time they played they were ready to "throw their mouse across the room". Well, I think of them every time I ban some cull.

I could have written my frickin' memoires already with the amount of typing I've done on the server to date trying to develop a player base but I'm encouraged by the fact that it is working, slowly but surely.

Apophis and Wyzcrak can change the rcon_password and leave me out of the frey altogether if they think I'm being too harsh and I'll be better off for it but as long as I'm the one, more often than not, dealing with this I won't be tolerating anyone using the server as a toilet. If someone deserves to be banned for a few hours then they will be gone for as long as there's a banned_user.cfg in the server file structure because I will not afford this person the opportunity to come back and fling **** around because they've had more than a few chances with me already.

Ask asch what goes on if you are concerned that I'm just up and banning every Tom, Dick and Quang that wanders through. I can assure you its not the case and after over a month of doing this I'm managing to keep a positive perspective on things and giving every player the opportunity to become apart of TG PCS and one by one, to one extent or another, they are.

I will not however waste my time, the time of the other admins or the players who are coming back more regularly and in greater numbers with giving any "idiot" the opportunity to come back for round two.

I give everything to every player that joins the server. I am not a babysitter nor am I a special needs counsellor or a psychiatrist. I am more often than not so far the guy who has to try and keep the server free of disruptive elements for the sake of the people that play well here. I will not afford special priviledges to those who exhaust their welcome by disrupting the server, being disrespectful and generally acting like sociopaths.

Overlag I'm sure will have no trouble in expressing these same sentiments as he has been around often enough to know what I'm trying to say and I know he is very frustrated at times also.

Anyway, as George W. Bush so eloquently said, "Bring'em on".
                              Last edited by DeRanger; 12-19-2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X