What is STSC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is STSC?

Lots of people ask what the STSC is in front of my name.

As some of you well know I am on active duty in the US Navy (have been for 16 years). I work on nuclear submarines.

STSC: Sonar Technician Submarines, Chief Petty Officer (E7)

Here goes the explanation. Hope you're sitting down...

Chief Petty Officer (E7): This is my pay grade or rank. It is equivalent to a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marines, a Senior Master Sergeant in the Air Force or a First Sergeant/Master Sergeant in the Army. All though the "rank" is equivalent to those other service branches a "Chief Petty Officer" holds much higher regard in the Navy.

Advancement into the Chief Petty Officer grades is the most significant promotion within the enlisted naval ranks. At the rank of Chief, the Sailor takes on more administrative duties. In the Navy, their uniform changes to reflect this change of duty, becoming similar to that of an officer albeit with different insignia. (In the Coast Guard, petty officers, chief petty officers, warrant officers, and commissioned officer all wear similar uniforms.) Sailors in the three Chief Petty Officer ranks also have conspicuous privileges such as separate dining and living areas. Any naval vessel of sufficient size has a room or rooms that are off-limits to anyone not a Chief (including officers) except by specific invitation (if one is invited to eat in the Chief's Mess, it is customary to eat everything on the plate no matter what condiments are added by members of the Chief's Mess to enhance one's dining experience). In Navy jargon, this room is called the Chief's Mess, or tongue in cheek, the "goat locker." In addition, a Chief Petty Officer, no matter how much he was on "first name" basis with other petty officers before promotion, is always addressed as "Chief" by subordinates and superiors.

So I'm called "Chief" for short.

The "Submarines" term signifies I am qualified in Submarine Warfare. There is a lot to discuss in this topic alone. If you're interested you can check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Warfare_Insignia

Sonar Technician: Is my designated rating. This is my area of expertise or technical field.
    ST's are responsible for underwater surveillance. They assist in safe navigation and aid in search, rescue and attack operations. They operate and repair sonar equipment and jam enemy sonars. ST's track underwater objects and repair antisubmarine warfare fire control equipment and underwater radiotelephones.

I have done many things in the Navy and traveled all over the world. I have been to places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Saipan, Guam, Italy, & Spain.

I have been in harms way. Launched Tomahawk missiles in anger. Performed surveillance and reconnaissance missions in places I may not have been invited.

As a Chief I am a division leader. I have had the luxury of decorating sailors as well as the unfortunate duty of disciplining some. I have seen men reach great success and others fall and end up getting sent home. I am a direct adviser to the Commanding Officer in all aspects of Sonar and Anti-submarine Warfare Tactics. I specialize in acoustic intelligence and weapons delivery. I serve on a war machine built to complete one task. To hunt down and kill enemy troops and ships and it is built well. The submarine community is a proud society that is considered a high risk duty and earns a place among the special warfare community. We regularly serve with members of SEAL teams and Marine Special Forces.

There is much more to my life/job I am not allowed to discuss. These things are in all seriousness knowledge factors only those "cleared" with special need to know privileges may have. So I'm sorry but this is as far as my description of my job may go.

I hope this clears up any questions of what STSC signifies.

Re: What is STSC?

Nice orthos, my grandfather was a cheif on the Nautilus way back when, he was in for 21 years as a corpsman... also, my other grandfather was an E-8 on some random carrier... I, on the other hand will be a 2nd Lt in the USAF within the next 3 years... Glad to have you serving our country Chief and I look forward to serving along side you until you hit your 20 years!
    Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in ALL We Do!

United States Air Force ROTC Det. 590 UNC-Chapel Hill

Instructor of the infamous TGU CS:S Division! Semper Fi
    If you are interested in TGU Please

sigpic

Comment

mind if i call you chief =P

on a serious note, that's very impressive. i may not support the way, but i do support the troops. *salutes*

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

I've always had a great amount of respect for soldiers even if I strongly disagree with America's military's choices. The military would be my second choice when it comes to professions.

Comment

I knew it, you're a secret agent!
          "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
          "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

As a former STS/SS/DV

Sonar Technician Submarines/ Submarine Warfare Qualified Aka (Got My Dolphins) / USN Diver ....I was also a Sonar Supervisor.

The job of Sonar Technician is sometimes compared to that of a Air Traffic Controler in the terms of stress levels. Especialy when pulling into a Port that has immense amount of boating traffic.

Battle Stations when you are on station is also a fun experience. 18 hours of locked in the shack with nerves on end in locations you can neither confirm nor deny that you have been to doing things that you may or may not be allowed to do...LOL!

Orthos making Chief in this rate is pretty damn good. He put in his time and paid his dues. Submarine life is pretty hard.

Doing a West Pac you are away from Home Port for up to 6 months at a time. With lengths of time under water that can be over 2 months. Locked in a metal cylinder with no sun, fresh air or new faces....The food...well not much fresh after a few weeks...

In the short time I was in (6 Years...the First 2 years were for Advanced Electronics Training) the other 4 years I was stationed on A Nuclear Submarine statione out of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. Of those 4 years I did 2.5 West Pacs, 2 East Pacs and countless week long operations.

All the time you are on the sub you are drilled in your own rate as well as learning the entire submarine inside and out. You are drilled in every type pf emergency from fire, flooding, torpedos, Nuclear Reactor Melt Downs and everything in between. Life aboard a Submarine is indeed intense and Submariners are a breed unto themselves.

Hats off to you Orthos for staying in so long!!!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
              As a former STS/SS/DV

Sonar Technician Submarines/ Submarine Warfare Qualified Aka (Got My Dolphins) / USN Diver ....I was also a Sonar Supervisor.

The job of Sonar Technician is sometimes compared to that of a Air Traffic Controler in the terms of stress levels. Especialy when pulling into a Port that has immense amount of boating traffic.

Battle Stations when you are on station is also a fun experience. 18 hours of locked in the shack with nerves on end in locations you can neither confirm nor deny that you have been to doing things that you may or may not be allowed to do...LOL!

Orthos making Chief in this rate is pretty damn good. He put in his time and paid his dues. Submarine life is pretty hard.

Doing a West Pac you are away from Home Port for up to 6 months at a time. With lengths of time under water that can be over 2 months. Locked in a metal cylinder with no sun, fresh air or new faces....The food...well not much fresh after a few weeks...

In the short time I was in (6 Years...the First 2 years were for Advanced Electronics Training) the other 4 years I was stationed on A Nuclear Submarine statione out of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. Of those 4 years I did 2.5 West Pacs, 2 East Pacs and countless week long operations.

All the time you are on the sub you are drilled in your own rate as well as learning the entire submarine inside and out. You are drilled in every type pf emergency from fire, flooding, torpedos, Nuclear Reactor Melt Downs and everything in between. Life aboard a Submarine is indeed intense and Submariners are a breed unto themselves.

Hats off to you Orthos for staying in so long!!!
              Thanks Shady. I must confess... The 16 years as a Sonarman is quickly coming to an end. Im May next year I have been accepted for Limited Duty Officer and will be commissioned to Ensign. So this will be my last tour on a submarine unless a take a position on the USS Jimmy Carter (Google it I can't tell you). I have enjoyed my time as a Sonarman and a Chief. Now it's time to take care of my family. I will retire at 30 years of service at 51 years of age. My retirement as a O-4 will be enough to take care of things so I won't have to take on a new career (current retirement for a O-4 is about $64,000/yr). So for now you may call me Chief. Next May you will have to call me sir...

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                mind if i call you chief =P

on a serious note, that's very impressive. i may not support the way, but i do support the troops. *salutes*
                That is what they call me at work and I would never take any offense by it as long as it's not in a condesending way. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Comment

Cool. I'd heard you say this before. I've always liked subs. Not enough to work on one, though! I don't think I could take that much time away from my family. That just makes me respect that job even more.
                  "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                  Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                  " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Nice work Orthos. Thanks for sharing some of what you do and experience. I'm sure alot are proud of you :)

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X