This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spore?

Has anyone here tried spore yet and if so is it praise worthy of being bought? Im not sure if I want to put out the 50 dollars for the game yet.
    There are no winners in war.

Re: Spore?

alot of people are not buying it because you need to activate it to play. And you only get 3 activations to play it then you have to call EA and explain why you need more activations. I was going to get it until this.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

That sux the game looks great but I dont have time to get into a game like this takes up too much of my time my wife complains about me playing css enough as it is.

Im waiting on Farcry 2 and left 4 dead witch are coming very soon!
      |TG| Plude220

Comment

Sounds like windows. More than 2 activations or whatever and it won't work.

I probably wouldn't mind. I'd buy it and just leave it on or something I don't know.

But $50. heck, I don't pay $50 for any game anymore.

Skylark = cheap <bad word>
        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Don't buy it. The game is nice, though never worth 50 bucks (rather spend these on StarCraft II, it should come out this month, or maybe Left 4 Dead, if you're not into RTS games), and the DRM is really horrible (come on - 3 activations? Sounds like BioShock, and everybody knows how BioShock's DRM failed. If you still really want to play it, well, look for a friend who has already bought it (there are a lot of serials floating around on the various torrent sites of the Internet) or go to TPB (I usually don't advocate piracy, developers should be paid for their work, but when the prices are raised more and more and if I buy a game it punishes me for doing so with it's DRM nonsense [yeah, DRM only punishes those who buy the game legally - pirates don't care much, for Spore, a crack was released on the same it the game was released in NZ], I really rather torrent it; I'm still attending school and I don't want to let a whole months income go just for some video game which has far too restrictive DRM) .

Comment

What?! Absolutely do not use a torrent or pirate the game in any way. I'm not talking about legality. The game is amazing, the stupid DRM that's in place is in place because of pirates like you. Ironlore went out of buisness for failing to put in any DRM into their games.

Games don't survive anymore without DRM, so yah it sucks but start playing by the rules. Adobe suite has it with only 2 licenses. Windows has 2 licenses. The game doesn't force you to play online like Steam does.

The game is hands down the best. Those that have "borrowed" or played a friend's copy can't give an honest opinion, and frankly aren't entitled to one. The game isn't something that you can breeze through, you actually need to read the tutorial tips and more. Don't get me wrong the game is intuitive enough, but you need to take it slow, and you can easilly get burnt out on creativity especially at the Civilization Stage.

The game isn't at the half way point when you reach the final stage, the Space Age. It's like a whole other game. No offense but I'm guessing you never got this far.

Also with a "borrowed" version you can't make use of the online features. The online features are more than half the game. In 3 hours of play time, I had downloaded over 1000 new creations by others, which are thrown into your game for you to compete against.

The DRM is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It only affects you if you reinstall windows 3 separate times each time with different hardware. Likely to happen in the next 3 years? Nope I think not, and the phone call affair is over in an hour with your fresh install just fine. Installs on external hard drives work fine.

If you don't want to buy it that's fine, but it is an amazing game. Either buy it or don't but don't pirate it. Will Wright is a genius and based on his previous games, you should judge this one.

Comment

..Okay, House. Sorry. Too easy.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
              Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
              Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

I heard the the creature stats are pretty much based on how many limbs your creature has. i.e. - If you want your creature to run faster you just add more legs.

Is this true?
                There are no winners in war.

Comment

Originally posted by Toy Poodle View Post
                  I heard the the creature stats are pretty much based on how many limbs your creature has. i.e. - If you want your creature to run faster you just add more legs.

Is this true?
                  I read the opposite, that creature design is fairly cosmetic.

Comment

LoL on that picture House looks like Gordon Freeman.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                      What?! Absolutely do not use a torrent or pirate the game in any way. I'm not talking about legality. The game is amazing, the stupid DRM that's in place is in place because of pirates like you. Ironlore went out of buisness for failing to put in any DRM into their games.
                      I doubt the last sentence. The arms race between game publishers and pirates was always there, and for every DRM designed, there exists a way to circumvent it, and usually, if a new game is released, a crack is released as well within hours. Even when I buy a game legally (SHOCK! Someone pirates games but also buys them!) I usually apply a crack when I think it's DRM is too restrictive. The only DRM I accept is Steam, simply because it, unlike most other DRMs, doesn't annoys the user and is also a nice delivery system.

Simply put, it is clear that you got absolutely NO clue about DRM and piracy. DRM doesn't stop piracy, it actually helps it. Cracking a game isn't too hard if you got enough knowledge (and most cracking groups today do), downloading the whole game isn't too hard either thanks to P2P applications. Have you ever asked why pirates pirate their games? Usually, they answer that they want to play the game, but don't want to pay extremely large amounts of money (50 IS a lot for the main target group of most video games) and don't want annoying DRM that may even install rootkits (Starforce, anyone?).

By putting DRM on your software, you are assuming that the people who buy your games are criminals. DRM doesn't manage YOUR rights - it manage the companies "rights" instead. And you know what? I'll go and buy StarCraft II when it will be released this month. It is still a little bit expensive, but at least Blizzard doesn't punish those who buy the game with installing malware on their systems or limiting their install count to 3, while pirates are free to install the game as many times as they like.

Face it - DRM is bad for both the customer and the company who created the game.

Originally posted by sordavie
                      I read the opposite, that creature design is fairly cosmetic.
                      It is as soon as you enter the tribal stage. Before that, it's like Toy Poodle said.

Comment

What?! Absolutely do not use a torrent or pirate the game in any way. I'm not talking about legality. The game is amazing, the stupid DRM that's in place is in place because of pirates like you.
                        Untrue DRM is targed at buyers like you, not pirates...to prevent you from installing it on your computer and giving it to your girlfriend to install on her computer, and she gives it to her friend... . DRM hurts only the consumer. Pirates never have an issue with it because all their games are DRM free.

Ironlore went out of buisness for failing to put in any DRM into their games. Games don't survive anymore without DRM
                        Untrue. Correlation != causation

Those that have "borrowed" or played a friend's copy can't give an honest opinion, and frankly aren't entitled to one.
                        That statement is so flawed on so many levels. Just as one simple example, Car & Driver writers borrow cars to test drive and give their honest opinions. By your logic they should never have done so unless they bought the car themselves.

The online features are more than half the game.
                        Untrue. Maxis supplies many, many of every item in the game right on disk. There is no real need to ever download anything online. Downloading is not half of the game. It adds to the ambiance and enjoyment to run into a muppet on one of the planets, but it doesn't affect gameplay in the least.

The DRM is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It only affects you if you reinstall windows 3 separate times each time with different hardware.. Likely to happen in the next 3 years?
                        Untrue. The DRM _is_ as bad as everyone makes out. There are many, many scenarios in which minor changes will affect the DRM. And in any case, it's not up to you or some software company to dictate how many times I'm allowed to install the game I own. If I want to install it in the morning when I wake up and uninstall it before I go to sleep, that is my perogative. Finally, yes, it's 100% likely to happen within the next 3 years for me. In fact, I've already reinstalled windows 2x in the last 8 months or so.

...and the phone call affair is over in an hour with your fresh install just fine.?
                        I'm usually billed out at several hundred dollars an hour. Who should I send the bill for my time for?

...Either buy it or don't but don't pirate it.
                        You forgot the option of buy it AND pirate it.
                        Twisted Firestarter
                        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                        sigpic

Comment

I only cited Ironlore because creative director for THQ Micheal Fitch said as such:
                          http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ad.php?t=42663

I'm not saying it's a correlation, I'm only citing another source that testifys it's a cause.

I'm not saying DRM is meant to hurt pirates. Pirates don't suffer, instead the consumer suffers for the pirate's actions. Why do publisher's do this? This is the one thing they can crack down on and they do it anyways despite the lack of logic behind it. Again I don't agree with DRM.

If you buy the game and you want to use a crack, go ahead, I've used cd-cracks before and will continue to use them due to me only having one optical drive and not enjoying the painful process of switching discs.

That statement is so flawed on so many levels. Just as one simple example, Car & Driver writers borrow cars to test drive and give their honest opinions. By your logic they should never have done so unless they bought the car themselves.
                          No playing a game to completion is one thing, borrowing the game to play it for an hour isn't enough to make a fair assessment. If I borrow a car, I can drive it on the freeway, city streets, even off road. I can make an assessment based on the immediate performance because guess what, I don't expect the car to suddenly transform into a an airplane and take off.

Spore is all about variety of gameplay until you hit the space age, and even then it's a truly open world in which you can play in, adding a completely different game to the mix. Making that $50 dollars you spend a worthwhile investment.

The statement about online features is true for me. Maybe not for you but my opinion still holds. The ability to share my creations as well as download others might not be a big thing to you but it is to me. Added to the fact that it's unobtrusive and runs in the back ground is especially nice. Seeing a creation of mine I made on another computer tied to my account pop into game created a moment of awe to me. If that's not you thing fine, but I'm saying it was for me.

The DRM is not that bad. You are still wrong. If I were today to decide to uninstall and reinstall Spore on my same computer I could without it using more than one license key. Why? Because my hardware hasn't changed. Yes I don't like DRM any more than the next person but that should not hinder how one chooses a game. Like you and others have said, if that becomes a problem you can download a crack.

And when I reference the term Pirating, I literally mean taking without paying for. Not the act of circumventing a stupid DRM feature. I understand the act of "trying" a game before buying it but going back to Ironlore, enough people didn't end up paying for the game they played and enjoyed to put Ironlore out of business as cited before.

Have you ever called EA and been billed $700? I called Adobe with a similar experience only getting 2 installs not checking for the same hardware on their Adobe suite, and wasn't charged anything extra. EA hasn't outsourced to India just yet.

Again buy the game or don't but don't let your stigmatism about DRM affect your judgment of the game. EA put that crap in, not Maxis.

Comment

Originally posted by Toy Poodle View Post

Is this true?
                            Nope. The highest stat counts and nullifies everything else. If I get a mouth that has a level 5 bite, I'm not gonna be able to get anything higher than a level 5 bite by adding 50 different mouths.

The tribal stage is purely cosmetic though, other than wings affecting how your creatures move about.

Comment

I have Spore, it's an interesting game... The First 3 stages really only look at cosmetics (ie. legs/feet/hands) and social benefits (military/economic/religious). The Space age has that Masters of Orion/Sins of a Solar Empire feel to it that is really most of the long term gameplay, as you can goto 1000's of worlds supposedly.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X