Reserved slots are not working.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserved slots are not working.

Thank-you for fixing it at your earliest convenience.

Re: Reserved slots are not working.

They are working. There is a window of time during which someone is joining that they are evaluated for a reserved slot. During this evaluation, the joining player consumes the last slot on the server.

If two people attempt evaluation at the same time, one will get a "server is full" message. You just have to try again. I've yet to have to retry more than twice for it to work flawlessly.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Now that they are working, I need to get the larger list of SteamIDs which represents supporting members, as I've only been using the Natural Selection supporting members as guinea pigs.

I'll get this list from Apophis soon.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm getting booted left and right. Help...
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Make sure Wyz or Apo have your STEAM ID.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Wyzcrak took good care of me.
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              There is a window of time during which someone is joining that they are evaluated for a reserved slot. During this evaluation, the joining player consumes the last slot on the server.
              I have changed the number of slots used for evaluating the reservation of incoming players from one to three. So, there are now 17 "slots" on the server, but maximum players remains at 14. The idea here is just to reduce the likelihood that a player with reservation will get the "Server is full" message when trying to join, as three players must attempt to all connect within the same ~20 second period (which is still very possible, but less likely).

If you continue to get the "Server is full" message, let me know how often you're getting it. Is it terribly rare after tonight's change? Or is it still a frequent nuisance?

If you see more than 14 players staying on the server, let me know immediately. PM me or something, as that is not my intention. Granted, we may decide to up the player counts later (in another thread and another discussion), but this change, even though it does change server slots, it's not intended to change player count.

Comment

I believe this will be confusing to joining players. When they typically see a server count of 14/15, many will know that the extra slot is a reserved slot situation. However, they will not understand why they can't join a 14/17 server, thinking that there are at least two more slots open.

Also, what message is given to the players when they try to join and are kicked?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

The 'disconnect' message is executed on clients of players being removed due to reserved slots. No message is displayed. They're simply left staring at the CSS logo on their screens, with the menu at the lower left of the screen. I hate it, but there's nothing I can do to change that presently.

I understand your argument. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts, too.

Comment

I agree that there will be confusion for public players with 14/17 slots.
                    Those of us with reserved slots should be pretty easy to keep informed about this 'can't join' issue. I notice 15/15 alot as it happens for anyone who tries to join. ie even a public player will occupy the slot till he tries to pick his team, and then be booted. I assume that if someone were to just sit there and not choose a team the 15th slot will remain occupied and effectively stop anyone else, reserved slot or not, from joining. That's bad but pretty unlikely unless someone's being an asshat.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Originally posted by Scooper
                      I assume that if someone were to just sit there and not choose a team the 15th slot will remain occupied and effectively stop anyone else, reserved slot or not, from joining.
                      I believe this is false. A player will be removed regardless of team or activity.

Comment

People are generally accustomed to seeing an extra slot for slot reservation. Three extra will confuse the wandering public player. Was this really such a large problem that we needed to expand this to three slots, anyway?

Maybe something in the server title to indicate that there's only 14 slots?
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

There is a message players will see as they wait to spawn which specifies that "reserved slots are used on this 14 player server", for what it's worth.

I have reverted the server to 14 player slots and one empty (15th) slot, as it was before my "bright idea". :)

Comment

I recall, before I payed up, thinking I was in till I tried to join a team then getting kicked.
                            I could easily be wrong.

I'm still a fan of the 16 or 18 slots with 1 reserved. 16 would be a nice even number... 8 per team, 4 2-man fireteams or 2 4-man. 18 would allow 9 per team and 3 3-man fireteams.
                            I know I know, another topic. ;)

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

I think a player will be confused in general if they are kicked not knowing how the server is setup with reserved slots and 14 or 15 is a perfect maximum player count for our "style". $0.02

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X