Next Big step for a jungle map

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Big step for a jungle map

1) This map is going to need models of Trees. I scanned some free model sites for trees and got some workable models but i have 0 skill in modelling and using XSI. Is there somebody qualified to tackle that? The trees included with the SDK are all decidous which does work well for a jungle hehe

I have started some prefabs for hammer like the hut. I can't convert the cs_shadow map without the original file. So i emailed the author and we'll see what happens from there. at the least can somebody load the map up and get some screens from high up or several screens of the different areas?

- -

Re: Next Big step for a jungle map

Originally posted by Vulcan
    I can't convert the cs_shadow map without the original file.
    What file do you mean?

Comment

Do you actually need MODELS for the trees? Tree models would up your entity count in a HURRY for a jungle-based map. Maybe there are some prefabs?

If there aren't, I'd create the trees in Hammer myself. Models can get expensive, performance-wise.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        Do you actually need MODELS for the trees? Tree models would up your entity count in a HURRY for a jungle-based map. Maybe there are some prefabs?

If there aren't, I'd create the trees in Hammer myself. Models can get expensive, performance-wise.
        The trees in predator were huge and they were made like walls with ladder attributes, so you could climb right up their sides. Then it had large boughs that branched out and created floors that you could walk on. The trees were not "models".
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The original file would be a vmf i suppose. I understand about making the trees in hammer but that's alot of work b/c i'd like to add quite a few trees, but as far as poly count you just have to know how to model a tree so it's not a high polycount. Bases of trees can be used from a model while you augment them with hammer to give a more realistic feel to it. When you start vertex morphing in hammer things get real ugly and slow.

Prefabs would be good. I have a palm tree model that i found for free but having problems getting it into XSI from 3ds format... I'm currently working on a hut prefab. we need a level design
          some breif story made up for the level
          some decent jungle fauna with flowers and exotic things.

If we make a map together we can put more into it than just a green textured brush map that barely resembles a real jungle.

PS i emailed the guy who made the map and his email is no good. So we're gonna need some screen shots if anyone could get them please?

- -

Comment

This is all swahili to me...

Comment

I'll get you screenshots, but I have not been able to get the map downloaded.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I've been able to download one file of the map but that's all I can find. Would this suffice for our purposes anyway? Tempus, should I e-mail the zip to you since you have 1.6 installed, it is 310KB?

Here's the overview that I found which I'll add to it:

Comment

good pic deranger. tempus i have the map, so i can send it to you via email,

- -

Comment

some ideas i have. I have created a mountain terrain with flats and small hills around it, about the same size as the map above. I was thinking of putting some paths in the mountains to get to certain lookout points. Also instead of making the gates into the compound the usual double door, i wanna put in a gate that can only be switched from inside the compound. There are two ways into the compound, the tunnel underneath which opens into a trench on the far side or through the gate. I was thinking a couple guard towers in the compound so there could be protection from the mountainside attacks. just some ideas :) I could use some more!

- -

Comment

Those are awesome ideas Vulcan! There is already one tower in the compound as it is but another couldn't hurt. The idea of having lookouts on the surrounding hills is really cool because it would create tactical possibilities the map didn't have before. The caves were great in the original map (the exit near the compund was covered with hanging plants) but the idea of having a tunnel into the compound is good too, possibly exiting from a hatch in one of the huts or something. I think that there would have to be at least two ways into the compound (tunnel/small door, tunnel/large gate), etc. because one way into the compound would not be enough especially if the large gate needed to be opened strictly from inside the compound. The bunker on one of the CTs approaches was a really good lookout/sniping spot for the Ts also and it would be nice to keep that. Have you gotten a look at the map itself yet or seen screenshots?

Comment

Vulcan has sent me the map, so I'll get some screenies up this evening. Is there a way to make a demo and turn it into a movie?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

If it loads and runs, there's no reason FRAPS or something similar shouldn't work, I'd think.
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I got the map too (thanks Vulcan!) but I can't get the thing to run. If I launch CSS and choose "create server", I get the menu thing, I can select the map, but hitting "start" doesn't seem to do anything.

If I launch a dedicated server, I can get into the game (laggy as heck, though), but _that_ way, the map doesn't show up!

Any ideas?

Comment

LOL, it's a CS map, not CSS. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X