Minimap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimap

Sometimes while on the server I find communication to be at a minimum. The notion led me to this peculiar idea about the mini map. Would it be possible to leave the mini map open while not registering any players on radar, including teammates and enemies? It would give people more of an incentive to inquire about their teammates position and status. This would also make reporting to your teammates essential for a successful round. I realize the drawback for players without microphones, but I feel like most of the community has invested in microphones. It also seems to be a more realistic aspect of terrorist and counter terrorist interaction to me. A perfect example is de_forest, where most players rely on the mini map heavily to decipher an enemies position. Again, just an idea I had. Let me know your opinion.

Re: Minimap

i do belive that this has been changed to a client side option only now :) but i still love the idea

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

There has to be more than two opinions. I know your looking at this thread, share some insight please!

Comment

I am clueless in this sort of area. I would love to be able to give more information, but I lack this sort of knowledge.
        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I actually like the mini map as is....Now days with technology as it is our guys in the field do get heads up positioning, sometimes better then our mini map.

Mics are an essential tool to the game play but can also be over used. Communications should be short and precise with the intel you are trying to deliver. But other then that they should be quiet so you can use all your other senses to keep watch for the enemy.

How many times has the sound of a pickup of a grenade, or a reloading of a gun either got you killed or got you a kill because the noise was heard. It wasn't on the radar because they were not in line of site.

The mini map does a decent job of showing the enemy for a brief time and only if they were in your line of site or the line of site of a teammate. Then it fades away. But it can't communicate to you that you hear someone in the water, or that you heard a reload, running feet, or a slew of other data that can be communicated through the mic and not the radar. Also good communications can tell you where a sniper is, the radar can confirm it, but not tell you he is actually a sniper. The person who just got shot at by the sniper KNOWS it is a sniper...

To me the mini map is just another tool in our arsenal. Similar to night vision goggles, satellite imagery, high power sniper scopes and the litany of other gadgets that they come out with. They are all valuable tools but when it comes down to it the most efficient tool is...YOU!

Well not me...I just make a good Meat Shield!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
            I actually like the mini map as is....Now days with technology as it is our guys in the field do get heads up positioning, sometimes better then our mini map.

Mics are an essential tool to the game play but can also be over used. Communications should be short and precise with the intel you are trying to deliver. But other then that they should be quiet so you can use all your other senses to keep watch for the enemy.

How many times has the sound of a pickup of a grenade, or a reloading of a gun either got you killed or got you a kill because the noise was heard. It wasn't on the radar because they were not in line of site.

The mini map does a decent job of showing the enemy for a brief time and only if they were in your line of site or the line of site of a teammate. Then it fades away. But it can't communicate to you that you hear someone in the water, or that you heard a reload, running feet, or a slew of other data that can be communicated through the mic and not the radar. Also good communications can tell you where a sniper is, the radar can confirm it, but not tell you he is actually a sniper. The person who just got shot at by the sniper KNOWS it is a sniper...

To me the mini map is just another tool in our arsenal. Similar to night vision goggles, satellite imagery, high power sniper scopes and the litany of other gadgets that they come out with. They are all valuable tools but when it comes down to it the most efficient tool is...YOU!

Too true. Think about how hard it already is when a couple of people are trying to explain positions a la:" Behind the left side box, about halfway between that and the tree." Now imagine 7 people doing it CONSTANTLY.

Besides, I often choose my position according to where the other teammates went. I do this by checking radar. If I had to ask everyone individually where they're going, I'm going to waste a good 10-15 seconds, usually enough for a rush to make it all the way through.

Comment

when people aren't communicating just give a little nudge and ask them nicely to call enemies and their positions.

- -

Comment

I pretty much agree with pot and vulcan on there answer as for nudging people to call enemies positions it can be quiet hard as some people just are non-socialable or just quiet by nature, or just dont like to use there mic. Now what I like to do when I play with people who do not call out spots and use coms is when a teammate goes down I can usually look at radar and say out to everyone "So and So just went down top left let's get someone to rotate or just keep an eye out on enemies moving to that position(kisamayo)" I mean it's real easy especially on a defending map to call out where anything goes down a simple top left lower left/cats b/new long apartments/ct-t spawn/etc. I just wish more people used Coms more often with that simplicity, they have no idea how much more it will help them and there team out if they just call it out!

Comment

What he said.
                  "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
                  "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

The mini-map also serves to increase situational awareness in a game that does not provide the player with realistic situational awareness.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                      The mini-map also serves to increase situational awareness in a game that does not provide the player with realistic situational awareness.
                      Well thank you for making us aware of this...LOL!

But very true!!!

Comment

Excluding the mini map would simulate a more realistic situation, however, the mini map is also extremely practical. Ideally we would test the server and community by removing the mini map for a few days. It is too much to ask therefore just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Diplomatic_Immunity View Post
                          Excluding the mini map would simulate a more realistic situation, however, the mini map is also extremely practical. Ideally we would test the server and community by removing the mini map for a few days. It is too much to ask therefore just a suggestion.
                          I still don't see how removing it would be more realistic...?

Comment

I surely agree but for a whole other reason. The radar is really flawed. It detects (enemy) players through thin walls, props, and other things like that. de_forest would be much more interesting without it. I can also see a few ways of disabling it for clients on the server, like running cl_radaralpha 0 on each client at the beginning of every round (it takes a whole round to change so players can't mess with it in the round)...

Comment

I still don't see how removing it would be more realistic...?
                              I'm not certain but I assume that counter terrorists don't have a mini map in real life situations. It makes you very aware of your surroundings. Removing it would give you a realistic sense of infiltration.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X