Tourney discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourney discussion

Ok guys, this is a thread to feel out and discuss a possible in-house tourney and the level of interest in having one.

It might be something like this:

-- 5 or 6 man teams, consisting largely of supporting members. This means that probably 3-4 players at a minimum on a team must be supporting members.

-- Players must organize their own teams.

-- Participating players should know that they must be flexible in their schedules for playing times. If you can only play between 8 and 8:30 on Thursday nights, then you probably won't be able to play in the tourney.

-- Teams will be responsible for scheduling their own matches. The schedule might have teams A and C playing on a given week, which would mean that each team would need to coordinate with the other team to set a time to play and reserve the server. If the teams do not play each other by the deadline, then both teams are given a loss.

-- A weekly "match" would consist of a first to 9 wins on a given scheduled map.

-- The tourney may last about 6-8 weeks (meaning 6-8 matches per team), depending on the number of teams involved.

-- EVERYTHING above is subject to change and addendum.

So, post your comments/thoughts here. If you think you would be interested and can be flexible with your schedule, indicate so in your message so I can determine how many players we might have.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Tourney discussion

i am very excited :) .. im glad i said something to spark you guys speaking up on they idea... weeee... i do good mommy... gimmi cookie!!!

sencei am new here .. i would like to join a team... but would rather not be the captain so to speak.. nnot this go around anyways...
    -'~-,~-'~-Essence-Of-Judas-,~-~'-~,-
    "Real Me Scout"
    Pronunciation: 'skaut
    Etymology: from Middle French escouter to listen,
    1 : to explore an area to obtain information (as about an enemy)
    2 : to observe in order to obtain information or evaluate
    3 : to use rifle and pick off opposition
    4 : to watch for openings in defense for bomb run
    5 : headshot

Comment

Should assign team captains? Have them organize the team and assign roles, manage the team.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
        -- A weekly "match" would consist of a first to 9 wins on a given scheduled map.
        I would personally rather have two 9 win games on the same map with the teams switching places for balance. If each team gets 9 wins then the team with the highest total wins would win. Tied matches should be rare.

Would the teams pick the map or would the map be decided for them?

Comment

I am so interested in this!! Who are we going to contact with roster info etc?? Who has the big shoulders?

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Vulcan, teams would be responsible for their own assignments of captains and whatnot.

DON.MAC, you are right. The teams should have an even chance at each side, but can you imagine how long it might take to complete 18 wins? Assume 30 rounds in total, with each round averaging at least 3 minutes (maybe longer if people really played PCS style), and you're looking at nearly 2 hours to complete a match. Perhaps the first to 6 or 7 wins would be better, and then switching sides. The map would be decided by schedule.

Usarion, this is just preliminary talk. I need to gauge how many players would be involved. Some time in the future teams would have to report their rosters to someone, perhaps myself.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

The teams should have an even chance at each side, but can you imagine how long it might take to complete 18 wins? Assume 30 rounds in total, with each round averaging at least 3 minutes (maybe longer if people really played PCS style), and you're looking at nearly 2 hours to complete a match. Perhaps the first to 6 or 7 wins would be better, and then switching sides.
              This is very true. 6-7 wins per map looks good to me.

EDIT: As for interested players, you can add love mummy and soccer mummy to the list.
              Last edited by DON.MAC; 02-03-2005, 02:09 PM.

Comment

DON.MAC, you are right. The teams should have an even chance at each side, but can you imagine how long it might take to complete 18 wins? Assume 30 rounds in total, with each round averaging at least 3 minutes (maybe longer if people really played PCS style), and you're looking at nearly 2 hours to complete a match. Perhaps the first to 6 or 7 wins would be better, and then switching sides. The map would be decided by schedule.
                Tempus,

I believe when we held the in-house tournament on regular counter-strike, I set the time limit to 30 min/side. After the match was over, we took the total rounds won on both games and determine the overall winner for the map.

Comment

Sounds good. I wouldn't mind getting in on a little tourney action. Unfortunately there are so many people out there much better than I that I might not make a good addition to a team. Unless of course they need someone with a big head to use as a distraction.

~furin
                  ~Furin
                  ~www.imageofself.com
                  ~Tilde's are your friend~

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                    I believe when we held the in-house tournament on regular counter-strike, I set the time limit to 30 min/side. After the match was over, we took the total rounds won on both games and determine the overall winner for the map.
                    Beat me with a big old stick if i'm wrong, but would you not get teams who have racked up a fairly good lead then taking the whole 7 minutes for every round after, so that it would be impossible for the other team to ever catch up in the time that was left?

Go on then, get the stick.

Comment

wOOt for supporting roles!!! Maybe if I get picked I can win the award for best supporting shooter.

Comment

I'd be happy to join. Tues, fri sat and sun, and some weeddays are fine for me

PM me if you want me :)

Comment

ok ok.. already... lets get these teams started ...!!!

im guessing we'll add our "tourney team"'s tag at the end of our current names?..and possible or position on the team?
                          |TG|yourname|TT|sgt ??
                          |\|-3-\/\/@YZ ... lets go already :)
                          "Real Me Scout"

Comment

|TG| Scooperman |TT| Major Bullet Magnet

... too long

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Originally posted by Scooper
                              |TG| Scooperman |TT| Major Bullet Magnet

... too long

lawlazation
                              "Real Me Scout"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse