Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon names

Hey folks,

I am here to talk to you about something that really annoys me. Weapon names. That's right. Since we're playing in a "realistic" and tactical way, I think people should call weapons by their proper name. CSS, in order to avoid various lawsuits, has renamed every gun in the game the way they want. However, for those knowledgeable about firearms or who played CS 1.6 extensively (the weapons had their real names), it can get very annoying to hear someone call a the M4 a Colt. Yes, the M4 can be called a Colt, because it is the company that manufactures it, but so can a Python, an M1911 and others. For the sake of precision and realism which are both needed in critical situations, we should all call the firearms by one convention. And why not use the real-life names?
    Here is a little list I compiled:

"Fake" name - Real name
    9X19mm Sidearm - Glock (the manufacturer is Glock GmbH)
    228 Compact - SIG P226
    Night Hawk .50c - Desert Eagle
    ES Five-Seven - Five-seven
    5.40 Dual Elites - Beretta 92 (x2)
    Leone 12 Gauge Super - M3
    Leone YG1265 Auto Shotgun - M4 Super 90
    Schmidt Machine Pistol - TMP
    Ingram Mac-10 - Mac-10
    KM UMP45 - UMP
    MP5 Navy - MP5
    ES C90 - P90
    IDF Defender - Galil
    Clarion - FAMAS
    CV-47 - AK-47
    Colt Carbine - M4A1
    Bullpup - AUG
    Krieg 552 - SIG 552
    Para machine gun - M249
    Schmidt Scout - Scout
    AWP - The real name is actually AWM, for Arctic Warfare Magnum, the P in CSS supposedly stands for "Police".
    Krieg 550 Commando - SIG 550
    D3/AU-1 - G3

Of course, some of these weapons have "CSS names" and abbreviations that everyone understands. Things like auto-shotgun, auto-sniper and AK are obviously fine since everyone understands them. However, stuff like Bullpup, which is actually a rifle design where the magazine (oh and by the way, a clip and a magazine aren't the same) is located behind the trigger, Krieg, Colt, Clarion and Compact should be, in my opinion, unacceptable.

What do you folks think?

Re: Weapon names

I don't know about you guys, but I'll keep calling the SIG 552 a Krieg and the p226 a compact. Why? I don't want misunderstandings. Everyone knows what a FAMAS is, but many wouldn't know what a SIG 552 and besides, it's harder to say than just "Krieg."

Comment

Agrees with this guy ------^

I'll keep the game names to avoid confusion.
      | | |

Comment

Yep we have a lot of old timers on the server so keeping the weapon names simple is a definite.:D

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Honestly, It's a good idea and all but I doubt if something like that will stick as everything everyone knows the names by what they see on screen for the most part. I came from 1.3 and earlier cs and all of those names I can understand the old and the new parts if someone calls it out. I do find myself using the old names alot those just because I'm used to them from earlier cs stages. But yeah good idea and all but things should be fine just the way they are imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
            Yep we have a lot of old timers on the server so keeping the weapon names simple is a definite.:D
            Well said HA!

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
              WORD!!!!! I know what they are and some of use them interchangeably but still at this point I think the KISS rule applies!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

For non-military type people like myself, using the names that css give just seems easier than saying an abreviation on number after it (SIG 500 or whatever). Seeing as how there are multiple SIGs, it just makes more sense to use the game name. Can't get mad at someone because they don't know the official name of the gun.

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                WORD!!!!! I know what they are and some of use them interchangeably but still at this point I think the KISS rule applies!
                Ok I'll bite, what's the KISS rule?
                "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
                "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

"Keep It Simple, Stupid."
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I wish I could rememeber those names but I can barely remember what I started typing in this post :(

FUN FUN

Comment

I usually use the 'correct' name - I uploaded a mod/thingy that changed all the names to the correct names. BUUUT I also know what the game names are so I recognize it when someone says the other name. BRAIN POWER! oh yeah... (I need some)
                      "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                      Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                      " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I didn't see "shotty to to dome" on that list... =(

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                        "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                        - Wulfyn

Comment

I got a script off fpsbanana that changes the names to the real weopon names I like it better that way.
                          |TG| Plude220

Comment

Originally posted by Plude220 View Post
                            I got a script off fpsbanana that changes the names to the real weopon names I like it better that way.
                            Can you post a link? I wouldn't mind that...

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

Lol if you think I am going to call the kreig a SIG 225374 grs-42 what ever you have another thing coming lol. Just like I do not expect you to call me Timothy Andrew Palmer-hall Allen lol Disciple is just easier to remeber and say when you don't have the time to form your comm in an essay.

I think people already do call the important ones by their names suchas the AK 47 I haven't heard anyone calling that the CV lol.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                              Winston Churchill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X