K... maps..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K... maps..

I was iffy on doing this at first, as there was already a post on the map situation. But, it was getting to be annoying to go through all the other posts before I could read the new one, and this changes the topic just a bit.

I'm starting Hammer and trying to get the hang of map making and etc. I have a lot of good ideas, I believe, and so do the most of you. Furin especially, and Vulcan as well.

I say, if possible, make this a sticky so that we can always have a map thread going.

Uhm... ideas, rants, raves, texture points, other random crap about mapping goes in here.

We all seem to be atleast a bit interested in the mapping, and we all have good ideas. If we combine all our ideas into one or three or seven then instead of a lot of random maps, we'll have a few VERY good maps that will go far and wide, instead of just used by us.

I'd like to start us off with the idea that I brought up in Furin's post.

I've ran into blocked off areas of a map before in HL1 and I figure you can do it in HL2. Where only one team can pass the area, and the other team is stopped. This drops the reality rating, but it raises the PCS and tactical rating by a LOT.

Imagine, if you will, Italy with the stairs, bottom of long hall, and apartments blocked off to Terrorists. So that they could not pass the certain points where they need to be defending the entrances to the house and defending the hosties.

It could be done realistically, where there were doors or windows that were unpassable or unopenable by the terrorists, but openable by the ct's... with a locked sound towards the terrorists and a doorknob sound to the CT's.

I do believe we could implement this. And actually, we have enough regulars so that we could possibly remake all the maps changing the names to PCS_Italy or PCS_Piranesi or etc... making cut off points. This would drop the rate of idiots in the servers who absolutely WILL NOT listen to or abide by the rules.

Also, it would bring in more good players for more heated battles and gunfights.

I know what you're thinking. How do you finish the rounds when a T is afk and CT's are defending.

I'm sure that one way or another, Hammer or Admin-mods will make an autoslay for afk's. If it already hasn't been made, or thought of atleast. I'm sure that you could do it with Hammer...

K... Done rambling, on to a new topic.

Ideas...

If anyone would be interested I had a lot of ideas for good tactical maps.

Possibly a new type of map, where the objective would be for the CT's to push their way forward to a peice of treasure that has been stolen. Or government material. Etc.

I had an idea for a museum built inside of a valcano, with random interval steam shots, and magma rivers where instant death would be eminent.

I also had an idea for an airport map. We all remember the old CS map where the airplane was outside and the CT's started in the lobby? Yeah... that was kinda crappy, but I did like the idea of infiltrating the airplane. Possibly, I've seen it done before, two flying airplanes. One above the other, the one up top being the CT airplane and the bottom being taken. Possibly a picture of the Twin Towers in the background to give CT's a better incentive. Eh.. that was rude. Oh well...

Uhm... I had one more idea. I've always wanted a factory map. Catwalks, vats of boiling liquids. Explosions, steam vents, etc etc. Lots of entrances, cut offs, vantage points, etc.

These are just my ideas, and I'd love to see others.

If at all possible, and people do end up posting here, make this a sticky. Please.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: K... maps..

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    I do believe we could implement this. And actually, we have enough regulars so that we could possibly remake all the maps changing the names to PCS_Italy or PCS_Piranesi or etc... making cut off points. This would drop the rate of idiots in the servers who absolutely WILL NOT listen to or abide by the rules.
    I iked this idea. I thought having a line of PCS-modified maps would be great. It reminds me of the old ntf_ maps... But, maybe instead of just redoing the existing maps, we should focus on your idea for new PCS maps, intentionally designed for and by PCS players. I'm not sure how easy it is to make a totally new map type, shouldn't be that hard.

Your discover (ds_?) map idea was very cool. Have the treasure spawn in different areas of the map so the CTs have to really coordinate. Or make it like havana so that the certain doors open/close to give off more clues as to where it is hidden. The T spawn point should also change with the treasure/have all the treasure points equidistant from T spawn. There's a lot of possibilities with a new kind of map.

We could also try and bring back the as_* and es_* maps. A few people remember as_oilrig, but es_ maps were where the Ts would spawn in an armory, then have to escape across a border to win. I liked those maps, more variety than just the defuse/hostage ones on right now.

Comment

If we're going to have TG-lovin' folks crankin' out maps, let's use the prefix pcs_.

Build the map around the objective and use pcs_ as the prefix.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

pcs will be the prefix for sure! We have to define our style of maps.. Yer Mom, you can put in player clips and what not but let's say that your making a new map, and not remaking a current map (because you would literally have to remake the whole map except for cbble which is included in the SDK. I would say design the map so that if the Terrorists or CT's do not work as a team then they are doomed to fail and even be killed by something in the map, like for instance. You have an underground area that if a ct crosses a certain point the tunnel caves in for the rest of the round. Set it to a delay of 5-10 seconds.. This would just be one route of many. If a solo rusher did this he would be stuck on the other side doomed to go out into the open area where T's are watching and be destroyed without any other choice and also block his teammates from taking that route. Same could be done above ground with a falling tree or wall. These are simple triggers in hammer.

I'd say instead of directly blocking a person from going somewhere make the consequences of unplanned actions much more detrimental.

- -

Comment

Awesome ideas, Vulc, but yet again, I am no where near starting with the mapping. I've gotten a bit far, and I've made my first... square block... but further than that will have to come later.

I've decided what I'm going to make now. For my first map, I am going to design and put together a robbery map wherein the T's objective is to rob and escape the bank, and the CT's objective is to stop them from escaping. I also had the idea of possibly adding another team to them, or maybe even seperate spawn points for guards inside the bank. That would be interesting as we've all seen one person whipe an entire team before in the right cut-off point.

There will be 3 entrances, if not more.. 1 is going to be the sewers, of course, the darker, stealthier way in. Rooftop, of course. Possible back door and definately a front door. I want a lot of glass and breakable things in the map. Not things that are too big, as that will surely effect gameplay when nades go off and it breaks lots of things at once. The front is going to be completely glass, so that if you were to be coming thru the front, you will definately have to work together and move slowly, otherwise the T's will pwnt you hardcore.

I am going to employ buildings across the road for sniper positions...

The vault is going to be upstairs. I'm thinking about putting a timer on the vault so that the t's have to get in, wait for the timer, get inside the vault, get out, and then escape the complex. That may sound extremely complicated and long, but to even it out, I've decided to try and put a timer on the CT's. So that they cannot go in untill they "get the call." This way the CT's can plan what they're going to do more indepth.

All together, it's going to revolve around teamwork and fast paced strategies. If the snipers on the rooftops of the outside buildings don't take out the Terrorist snipers inside, then the team storming the front will be decimated by headshots and AK fire.

Also, it's going to be placed at dusk, while it's raining. Going to try and get some heavy rain for the effect that it gives. Fog possibly. And I'm going to have the bank locked up. The t's are going to have the option of hacking in or breaking the initial glass. I'm not sure if it is possible, but I'd love to change the defuse command to a hacking thing. Like, you go up to the back door, hold e, and it makes some noise like your hacking into it, or "cutting the right wire". If the t's go directly through the front glass, then the CT's get the call imediately. If they decide to go through the back slowly and silently, the CT's won't get the call untill the vault has been opened.

I'm not entirely sure if I can do all of this, so your input is a definate must. I would also like to have some new models made.

And that brings me to my next topic. I'm not sure at the interest this is going to strike, but I'd like to assemble a mapping team. A group inside the TG community who is bound and determined to making and promoting PCS_ type maps. We would need modelers, texture people, and compilers. Modelers = making new things. Tree's, doors, glass, tables, etc. Texture people = people that design and apply the textures to the models. And Compilers = People that actually put the map together inside and out. Sort of like a conveyer belt of people who make and develop maps. This way, our custom map output would be outstanding. I'm not asking for people to devote their lives to mapping. Just a team to help each other get it done faster. Instead of 3 weeks for one map, possibly get it done in 3 days.

I think if we get a high enough volume of PCS_ maps flowing on the servers, we will benefit in gameplay. Plus, everyone loves a new map... :D

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

If the CTs have to wait for the Ts to break in, then the CT spawn should be in a strip club so they don't get bored. Unfortunately, this will promote full-team rushing by the terrorists.

Comment

Yes, but not if I use what I've been talking about. An unpassable area to Terrorists but not passable by terrorists... Besides, the terrorists have a set amount of time to complete their objective, not slay the counter-terrorists.

I was thinking on making the win only obtainable by securing the vault. If the vault has not been opened, and all the CT's die, or if the terrorists haven't entered the vault and the CT's die, then the round will end in a round draw. Besides, I'm going to put the CT's close to the bank and if they are doing their objective, then they should be in formation and ready. If they are ready, then the T's won't know what hit them. If they aren't, then the T's will automatically have the advantage over the CT's and the round will end in a loss for the CT's.

I'm not sure how I will end this. I've also thought that if the entire CT team dies, then the round may end in a round draw. But, I'm not sure if that will settle good with players, and I'm also not sure if that will restart map.

Besides, I can't get past this damned .wad file for Hammer, or whatever I have to use to be able to make maps with CS and HL objects, but once I get past this problem, I will start the map.

Ty for the input though, it's a definate problem.

The strip-club may happen. Thought about it being a donut place... :D

-Mom
              Yer Mom /O>

Comment

K... I have figured out my problem and determined that I need Hammer 4. I do not have Source SDK on my computer anywhere what so ever. Of course, we know I have CS: Source...

Steam = stupid...

Anyone know?

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Source SDK downloads via Steam just like a mod. The only trick is that it won't make any of the code files (.cpp, .h) and such until you actually tell it you're starting a mod. You shouldn't have that issue with Hammer.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

It's under your play games list and when you double click it it'll start downloading all your materials. i sent you my msn contact, i'll help you further there.

- -

Comment

I got it fixed now. Should be all worken and perty. I dunno haven't really messed with it. Sorry about the MSN ordeal, Vulc... my MSN has issues with the 16 person switch we're running 2 comps on.

Kicks me sometimes... :(

But, none-the-less... I'm all fixed and ready to start Walls & Halls tutorial :D

-Mom
                      Yer Mom /O>

Comment

sounds a little like Enemey Territory with the door that can only be opened by one team

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X