Knife Sounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Sounds

As I think everyone on CSS knows, the knife is not so much of a stealth weapon, due mostly to the fact that it makes the same noise pulling a sword out of a metal sheath would. I was wondering if there was any interest in forcing a quieter "aftermarket" sound. I think if the knife became a truly stealthy weapon it would allow a new level of gameplay whatwith silently taking out sentries and such.

Still leaves the issue of a giant HUD displaying who killed who with what, but certainly an improvement.

Sorry if this is out of place at all.

Re: Knife Sounds

You can get on fpsbanana and find new knife sounds and you can get new smaller icons for when you kill someone but the knife sounds will only be for you im not sure if thier is a way to change the sound or pitch for the whole server.
    |TG| Plude220

Comment

Yeah, I know it can be done on a personal level, trust me almost every aspect of my game is skinned, but I was suggesting that maybe the knife sound could be changed on the server level, the same way skins can be. I havnt looked for one myself, since I didn't know if anyone (particularly those who would have to actually change it) would be interested, but if I would be happy to help out choosing one if the powers that be consented.

Comment

Sometimes I don't get any sound when a knife is pulled on me, other times I hear it from across the map in a middle of a shootout. I wouldn't mind it being silent, so I wouldn't feel so embarassed when someone shanks and all my teammates heard the sound except me:(

Comment

I was under the impression that attempting to knife someone was frowned upon, I have seen many rounds on a TG server where trying to go for a knife kill ends up in a round/game loss for the greedy knifer. Tisk Tisk I say.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
            I was under the impression that attempting to knife someone was frowned upon, I have seen many rounds on a TG server where trying to go for a knife kill ends up in a round/game loss for the greedy knifer. Tisk Tisk I say.
            Thats pretty much what I was hoping would change. As it is, the knife is so loud it cant be used as a stealth kill at all,and instead is reserved for times when it is really the only way you have a shot of killing someone (you are out of ammo and standing right next to them). If knifing were different from shooting by not making noise it would hold more of a tactical place.

Comment

It "would" have more of a tactical role, but there is still the factor of console saying you killed whoever with a knife and minimap shows the X for teammates to see where the guy died at. I'm pretty sure that those two things can not be enforced server wide through script or anything, so I'm thinking that sticking with "Don't knife unless you absolutely HAVE to" sounds like a good idea.
              "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
              "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
                Thats pretty much what I was hoping would change. As it is, the knife is so loud it cant be used as a stealth kill at all,and instead is reserved for times when it is really the only way you have a shot of killing someone (you are out of ammo and standing right next to them). If knifing were different from shooting by not making noise it would hold more of a tactical place.
                The problem is that with a gun, you don't have to get close. People will be able to pinpoint you exactly when you knife someone, at a range(if the haven't seen you) you could be nearly anywhere.

Comment

Well, as I said, the giant hud informing us that x knifed y is still a hindrance to sneaky knife kills, but a more reasonable sound would be a pretty large step in the right direction. I personally would think it rather cool if it just showed who killed who, but that was not my intention for this thread.

Comment

Then the problem would arise where everyone starts trying to knife people even when it's not a good idea. Excuses will fly and then someone will have to bring the hammer down and ban knifing anyway.

Originally posted by Clefspeare
                    "Don't knife unless you absolutely HAVE to"
                    Out of ammo, etc.

Comment

That'd be something that you'd wanna ask V. Damn good thought though. Maybe we could even get rid of the kill messages again. Then again, I stopped playing again for another two months or so, so I have no idea what's happened to the server since then. Unless you all deserted it for L4D.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                      Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                      Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                        Unless you all deserted it for L4D.
                        You have no idea.

Comment

it might be possible but something we'll have to discuss in the dev forum. Good idea but my gut tells me it won't be possible.

- -

Comment

We arnt Navy Seals. Put the knife away and bring out the gun .

FUN FUN

Comment

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!! Spar lives!!!!!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X