Buy times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy times

Oh, you've _almost_ hit a sweet spot with this. As is, there's some whining but more laughing - it's _noticed_, but the message isn't getting through. I suggest adding 10 more seconds....

Re: Buy times

Originally posted by Gooshy
    Oh, you've _almost_ hit a sweet spot with this. As is, there's some whining but more laughing - it's _noticed_, but the message isn't getting through. I suggest adding 10 more seconds....
    Laughing... I was chuckling at the whining the other night... It did "force" more planning in Spawn than people just dashing off to far corners of the map...
    but for me the time works....

Comment

i agree ten more seconds!

- -

Comment

No, no this is fine. Come on, with ten more seconds is way too much. As it is there's plenty of time to get everyone calmed down, get a plan straightened out, and buy accordingly in my opinion. Even if you join a little late you can get situated.

Comment

I think 10 seconds would be to much to add, maybe 5 seconds or somthing like that

Comment

I can support adding 300 seconds for all I care, but I'll have to be convinced they're needed. I've yet to see people using the 20 seconds they have to capacity.

I would need to see that for a while before adding time.

I mean, that's just my opinion. I'm sure if we majoritively decide we want more time we can make that happen.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              I can support adding 300 seconds for all I care, but I'll have to be convinced they're needed. I've yet to see people using the 20 seconds they have to capacity.

I would need to see that for a while before adding time.

I mean, that's just my opinion. I'm sure if we majoritively decide we want more time we can make that happen.
              I still think that having an extended wait time is a great way to filter out deathmatch players.

45 seconds, anyone :)
              It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

I don't think we should be doing things on the server to "push players away" just for the sake of pushing players away.

If we see ourselves really taking gameplay value from a decision and it happens to push players away who don't take value from that decision, so be it.

I cannot imagine, given the present growth state of these servers and their players (individually and collectively), how one would take value from 45 seconds of planning time more often than it would cause unnecessary delay. Like I said before.. I want to see the time we already have being used far more effectively and near its capacity before we add more time just to push players away.

We can't with a straight face tell players we "like the 45 seconds because we like to plan" when we're not using the full 20 seconds we have now, can we?

I mean... I can't remember watching that 20 seconds expire during planning. I want that frustration to happen to me (or others) somewhat regularly before we add more time.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I agree....

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Well... as I've come to understand, it depends on the team.

If I have a team of regulars with me, they know when I start typing to read it I'm sure. Everyone knows I'm a strategist, and I love leading my team.

There is a bit of confusion still. It takes me very, very little time to buy, and then I have to type. I type rather fast, but I'd still like another 10 seconds to keep typing.

People don't seem to listen unless they're regulars.

All the little rushing people have come to understand that we do like to play a certain way, and I think that our name is spreading or something, because the newest joiners I've seen of late have all been a bit.. reluctant to run off and be Rambo.

But, untill I get a mic and I can control my team that way, then I'll have to agree with the 10 more seconds. That'll put us at 30, right?

I like the time, it gives me more time to control and pep my boys up. Last night, I noticed that when I actually got the team to stop doing things the wrong way when on offense, which was stopping and throwing nades, etc etc. It takes time to type all that though.

-Mom
                    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I feel compelled to point out, contrary to the spirit of what I said before, that it is possible, I suppose, that adding a bit more time would make those who have previously stood silent during pre-round to feel they have sufficient time to actually voice an opinion about the pending round's strategy.

I guess it would help those who aren't as fast on the draw as some.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                        I don't think we should be doing things on the server to "push players away" just for the sake of pushing players away.

If we see ourselves really taking gameplay value from a decision and it happens to push players away who don't take value from that decision, so be it.
                        (This isn't a very well put together post. I did a lot of "changing my mind" as I was typing. Decided to post it anyway just in case someone saw something of value.)

I definately understand what you mean Wyz, and I agree with you 80% of the way.

But there are times on the server when there aren't any admins on board. Wouldn't it be nice if the "game itself" was setup to discourage deathmatch players, and the admins weren't needed to keep things in order?

If there's (1) a correlation between people who play deathmatch and people who are unwilling to wait on a server with increases wait times, and (2) NOT a correlation between people who play TG-style and people who are unwilling to wait on a server with increased wait times...

...Then I don't know that I see many drawbacks.

Well, that's not true. I see one drawback. Recruiting might go down. People who don't yet see the value in our servers might be more likely to disconnect before they are exposed to it. hmm, that might be enough to dump the whole idea.

I dunno. I'm open on this one.
                        It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

Looks like we need....

dun dun dun DUNNNN...

a MIDDLE GROUND! :)

Let's add ten more seconds and see how it goes?

(Another option: throw it up to 45 seconds and allow admins to set it to a lower value every time they join the server. You get the positive effects of the admin-less environment while allowing those of us who plan well together to get faster the gaming we're prepared for after LESS than 45 seconds. The timer would reset to 45 seconds after every map load.)

Come on folks. Chime in. I don't want to hear complaints about this afterwards from people who were silent in this thread.

Comment

There is nothing more satisfying there hearing a pub whine about how much the server sucks due to the long buy-time, but he still plays here for 2 hours.

Comment

Right. The same happens on the NS server among competitive players.

You guys shouldn't be teamwork nazis.

Everyday for a month.

heh. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X