Having a problem with Steam..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a problem with Steam..

... Hopefully someone can help/explain this problem to me.

As most of you know, I just recently built a new computer, and up until a couple days ago, Steam was working fine.

When the update on the 29th came out, Steam started acting up with the following problems:

- I open Steam, the "Updating..." box pops up, but it does not update.
    - I filter out the random server to "Counter-Strike:Source", it filters servers, but when I try to view the game info, it shows the server as timed out, and then I can't join any servers.
    - I try to view my favorite servers (mind you, there's only two to load cause they're both TG), and it says I do not have any saved favorites or they cannot be displayed due to the following problem:

After each problem, it seems I lose internet. But I don't really lose the internet because the internet light on my modem is still on and when I go into "mini-dos" (cmd) as I call it, and do IPConfig and ping my IP, the packets I'm sending are the same amount as the received, so I know it's not my provider, and I don't have any other problems just surfing the net, so my conclusion is, it's Steam.

So, I decided to uninstall CS:S and reinstall it to see if it actually updated, and to my surprise, it did! But I'm still having the same problems.

I thought maybe it was Norton with their tight security on the internet so I uninstalled that, problem didn't go away.

So I checked my Windows Firewall, and I added hl.exe, hl2.exe and steam.exe to my list of firewall exceptions hoping that it would work...

...It did not. And now I'm sad.

Is anyone having the same problems, or know how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cause I'm sad.
    - Robyn

Re: Having a problem with Steam..
    • Disable Windows firewall. It's useless.
    • Make sure you reboot after uninstalling Norton; they get pretty deep into the system.
    • Check to see if your ISP blocks this sort of activity. It's unusual, but not impossible, since the FCC is full of authoritarian pricks.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

also get Ccleaner and run the registry check.

Delete your clientregistry.blob.

- -

Comment

Do what vulcan says, that generally fixes the error or you could also try to right click on cs via the games menu and try to disable always keep this game up to date so when you join the game it should force it to update or if it's not on then you could enable it to troubleshoot. Also goto http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm if you have a router enable the steam ports I think its 27020 to 27050 for steam and 27016 and 27015 for CS:S

Comment

Are your ports open for steam?

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
            also get Ccleaner and run the registry check.

Delete your clientregistry.blob.
            CCleaner

C:\Program Files\Steam > In there will be the ClientRegistry.blob file. Delete that and the other one called AppUpdateStats.blob. Then restart steam. Anytime there is any kind of problem with Steam, definitely try deleting the clientregistry.blob file and restarting steam. That is a very good cure all.
            Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X