No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sad

John, a friend of mine died. I just found out yesterday, although he died on the 21st. He had cancer. Bone, if I remember correct. He had a long line of illness and other problems that culimated in him ending hospice.

I played a lot of games with him over the years. He was infamous for his half-orcs in dungeons and dragons and playing Klingons in star fleet battles.

I know none of you know him, but I don't know where else to... express it. A friend of ours sent out this message and I thought I'd share it - for all of those who have lost a fellow gamer.

He was really more a friend of my sister's. She's 3 years older than me, but I've played games of all sorts with them since I was high school and she in college (where she met John).

The Empty Chair
    Eulogy for a Gamer

There is an empty chair,
    at the table this day.
    A hallowed place where,
    a friend once played.
    The roll of his dice,
    my ears long to hear.
    Or perhaps it would suffice,
    if he should suddenly appear.
    With character sheet in hand,
    and a bag of Cheeze-doodles to share.
    All his friends would stand,
    as he sat in the empty chair.
    I hear his voice a-callin’,
    and it ties my heart in a knot.
    For he cries, “Though a comrade has fallen,
    You must play for those who cannot.”
    We conquered worlds on the run,
    he and I in the name of fun.
    And as others may come and go,
    I make both both friend and foe.
    But what I long for most,
    is our past now long a ghost.

A suppose the added hurt is knowing another friend of mine, this one in his eighties, is on the downhill run toward dying. I've known him for a long time and it adds to the sadness that I haven't really gotten to see him much - his rather immense famiy (10 kids, over 30 grandkids) are all camped out to be with him till the end - and I don't want to intrude.

It just seems likea sad time right now. I hope things are going better for everyone else. God bless.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

Re: sad

That really sucks. There's not much I can say, but you have my condolences.

sorry to here about that sky, honor him with your pwning of css!
      Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in ALL We Do!

United States Air Force ROTC Det. 590 UNC-Chapel Hill

Instructor of the infamous TGU CS:S Division! Semper Fi
      If you are interested in TGU Please

I've come to cope with death in other ways. It's always sad to watch our loved ones die. I've had a lot of experiences with the dying and have come to cope with it in a way that makes it more bearable. Although their time in this plane of reality has finished the entity will always be present in death. Others may preceded you but the conquering worm waits for no man. While you may no longer have time with them on this level surely there will be eternity to spend with them in the next. Death is not exclusive, your friend is in the company of kings and peasants. It won't be long until we all join him. So come to show your love for the living before they come to pass. When the time comes however, mourn, accept and live until the day you meet again.

Anyway, my most sincere condolences. Keep your head up.

I have yet to experience a person close to me dying and I hope I don't have to soon. The sadness you express is just how I felt when both my dogs died. I know it's not the same as a person dying, but those dogs were a part of the family.

Anyway, my prayers go out to you my man. Suggestion: maybe you can go out to the campsite thing and say hi for a bit. I bet that would give the old guy a smile.
          "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
          "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

sky.... my best regards

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Sorry to hear that man it's always hard to loose someone close to you. My deepest condolences

sky man, i'm so sorry. I know what its like to lose someone close and it is not easy for life to return to "normal" (or at least get used to the way things will be from that point on). My deepest condolences. We are all here for you buddy.
                :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.

Sorry to hear that Sky. Losing anyone or even a pet you will feel the same. The older you get the more you will feel it and what life offers. Remeber he can live through you. You are doing something he loved to do and thats how you will also remeber him dearly.

FUN FUN

Sorry to hear that sky, lost another gamer!

keep your chin up though and life goes on.

- -

Sorry to hear it mate. You have my condolences

Former E1st Heavyweight

My condolences sky it's always hard to lose a friend.

I walked a mile with Pleasure.
                        She chattered all the way,
                        But left me none the wiser
                        For all she had to say.
                        I walked a mile with Sorrow,
                        And ne'er a word said she;
                        But oh, the things
                        I learned from her
                        When Sorrow walked with me!

One Shot One Kill

FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!!

Sorry to hear that, as well.

Just wanted to offer my condolences...

Sky i hope ever thing goes well for you and his family you have my deepest and best regards and you know i am all ways here

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Find joy in the good times you spent with him. You made his life better, and vice versa. That's always a wonderful thing.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed