Trying to host server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to host server

Ok, so i got my second machine running srcds, and it all works as it oughtta...except the minor problem of anyone else but me being able to see it. The ip addy it automatically gave me i've been told relates to a home network addy.

i don't remember being given a choice during the inital setup of it so i'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

i'm going to post on the Steam forums later, but if anyone here has a solution...

(And bear in mind that both machines have to run both the srcds and css at the same time...ie i don't want to have to disconnect one to get the other to work properly. Also, if it helps both machines are independent and are not networked yet)

If i can get it working, then we the Klowns can use it for praccy and if we're not then any other teams are welcome to. So there's an incentive B,C,D,E and F! (Stop being boring and think up some team names, people!)

Here's a pic of the setup as is;

Re: Trying to host server

When people try to connect to your server, you'll want them to be using the router's external IP address (217.17.127.96).

Now, once their network packets get to your router, they're going to be blocked UNTIL you enable port forwarding.

For details about port forwarding within the context of SRCDS, I'll leave you to the Steam forum's Search feature for details, as I'm sure they have a definitive guide stickied somewhere.

Some keywords to use (NAT is "network address translation" and is what your router does to/with your home network):

port forwarding router dedicated server nat
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

A 192.168.x.x address is set aside by IP as a private only IP address. Hence, the only public IP address you have is the dynamic one your ISP gave you.

Here's what is happening. You setup your server and give people your public IP address. They try and connect. Your router starts recieving packets on X port, let's say 2222 (the CS server does not use those ports, but it's just an example).

Your router says "I don't know what the Hell to do with this packet from x.x.x.x:2222." So it discards it.

This is where port forwarding comes in. You setup your router to say "If I recieve a packet on port 2222, forward it to the internal server at 192.168.0.x." When this is setup, the packet is forwarded to your CS server. The CS server says "Hey, some frag monkey wants to connect to my server on port 2222. I'll say that's ok."

The server then starts sending packets to the connecting IP. Since you are running NAT, and 192.168.0.x cannot exist on the Internet, your router rips off that part of the packet, replaces it with it's external address from the DSL provider and long story short (at least on port 2222) your server is know by that public IP on the Internet.

I'll help you with this (or maybe even Apo) later tonight. I'll try and be on AIM or MSN.

Comment

Excellent contributions, Fenix.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

i found all the help files, particularly the Port Forward site that has my router details and how to port forward. Yay!

Now i've done all that, and i'm pretty sure i've forwarded the right port...but still the srcds keeps starting up saying 198.168.0.78:27015 is still the ip addy. Would that be right? Surely i should be able to change it somewhere..?

Anyway, i've added both addy's into Favourites, the addy above and the 217.17.127.96:27015 but still only the 168 one appears as responding. Unyay.

Would it help if i got my massive hammer out?

The Port Forwarding site is a really helpful site btw, if anyone needs some help on forwarding:
          http://www.portforward.com/default.htm

Comment

Your server IS correct in stating that it is running on your INTERNAL IP's address. Your SRCDS server doesn't even know about your external IP address. All it knows about is your router's INTERNAL address, to which it sends packets meant for the outside world.

Also, since YOU are on your INTERNAL network, you'll access YOUR server (which is ALSO on the same INTERNAL network) using the INTERNAL IP address.

I'm sure Fenix will be more user-friendly than that. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              Your server IS correct in stating that it is running on your INTERNAL IP's address. Your SRCDS server doesn't even know about your external IP address. All it knows about is your router's INTERNAL address, to which it sends packets meant for the outside world.

Also, since YOU are on your INTERNAL network, you'll access YOUR server (which is ALSO on the same INTERNAL network) using the INTERNAL IP address.

I'm sure Fenix will be more user-friendly than that. :)
              Yeah, if someone's trying to connect from within your network (that would be you, 9v), they'll use your CS server's internal IP address.

If someone's trying to connect from outside your network (anyone else on the interweb), they'll use your router's WAN/external IP address and your router will forward them to your CS server's internal IP address...

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                Now i've done all that, and i'm pretty sure i've forwarded the right port...but still the srcds keeps starting up saying 198.168.0.78:27015 is still the ip addy. Would that be right? Surely i should be able to change it somewhere..?
                You don't need to. Most master servers (the bad boys that list you under their browser) are made to ignore that 192.168.x.x address and use the one which came with your IP packet (hence, the IP address of your router).

Anyway, i've added both addy's into Favourites, the addy above and the 217.17.127.96:27015 but still only the 168 one appears as responding. Unyay.
                The reason that won't show up is because your router won't route back to itself.

To explain easier, think of 192.168.x.x as your house. A friend in your house asks for a soda. You tell him to go to the frige and grab one. You don't have to tell him your street address for that.

Now, you're at your friends house. He wants a soda from your house, you have to tell him your street address first, then where to find the soda.

Understand?

Now, when the router recieves a packet from inside it's internal network address on the forwarded port to the external IP address: it discards it because port forwarding doesn't work in reverse. It's like stepping outside your house, then back in to get a soda.

Would it help if i got my massive hammer out?
                No, just ignore the IP address the server says and have someone try and connect remotely.

Comment

Good examples Fenix :)

Comment

Cheers for all the help guys, i think i understand what you're getting at now.

So, does this mean that if i have the port forwarding settings right, then i can't connect using the same IP addy, i just use the 198 one, and everyone else uses the 217 one?

i'll go and nab someone off the server and see if they can connect t'wit.

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                      So, does this mean that if i have the port forwarding settings right, then i can't connect using the same IP addy, i just use the 198 one, and everyone else uses the 217 one?
                      Bingo. And for some Happy-time filler: I like tacos.

Comment

Hmm...still no joy :(

i've got my router Services setup with UDP/TCP at 27015, and the Firewall settings allowing port forwarding to 198.168.0.78

(198.168.0.78 is the IP address the second machine gives me when i do ipconfig)

i asked Cujo to try it last night and he couldn't connect. Bugger.

If anyone wants to have a go the IP addy for the server should be 217.17.127.96:27015

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                          If anyone wants to have a go the IP addy for the server should be 217.17.127.96:27015
                          I can't see it right now...

Are you sure your IP address hasn't changed since you've started working on this little project? I haxored your PC and put your IP address in the sign below:

Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Unless i'm being completely numerically dyslexic it looks the same to me..?

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                              Unless i'm being completely numerically dyslexic it looks the same to me..?
                              Yeah, before I haxored your computer, I thought it might be a possibility. Whenever I'm running some sort of server, that's one of the first things I check, as my ISP will change my IP 3 times in 3 days and then I'll go 3 months with the same IP. No rhyme or reason to it...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X