Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems

On certain maps I get these odd problems from time to time( actually everytime). Generally its when the map starts and then maybe for a few minutes, and then things settle down. My game gets very jerky. I check the console only to see:

Netchannel:failed reading message svc_updatestringtable from 67.19.132....... whatever server I am on. This message scrolls down the screen as if it were typed by a guy who can type 1000 words a minute. I will occassionally hit the 'enter' button to watch the space scroll by so I know when it stops. Once it stops, I resume playing.

Dust
    Paransi
    and a few other maps... cant seem to remember right now, but it is pretty specific to those only. I have done a fresh XP install to try and clean things up prior to the tourney. I even loaded it all onto a brand spankin new HDD. No.... I still crash , get booted, get the sound stutter and generally struggle to play smoothly. I have tried scripts that have been sent to me. Nothing. I have a legitimate copy of Half Life.
    My system is not spectacular but not poor:

Athlon 3000+XP
    MSI K7N2
    1Gb Mushkin DDR 400
    eVGA 6800 128mb vid ( all pipes/shaders unlocked)... either way its the same.
    sound and ethernet.. on board. works just fine for me.

I have turned AA OFF. Settings are meager and enough to get the job done. I usually get about 70-100 FPS unless its Dust..then 15-50 depending on where I am on the map.
    I am at a loss about this. I checked Google, and a few Germans have the same problem, but they cant figure it out. I dont want to make excuses when the tourney gets underway, but this is killing me.

Looking for possible answers.

Jeff
    Meat Drapes
    Meat Drapes
    -[OIJ]-
    Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Re: Problems

Are you using a router?
    Does it happen on all servers?

If you are using a router, try bypassing it and see if that works.

Comment

hmm, I do have a router and will try that... but why only on certain maps? Why not all?
      Other servers? You mean there is more then just TG out there?? Why would anyone want to play elsewhere?
      Meat Drapes
      -[OIJ]-
      Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes
        hmm, I do have a router and will try that... but why only on certain maps? Why not all?
        Probably a bad transmorgifier...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Maybe if I put the router into a transducer loopback it will clear everything up.

hehe
          Meat Drapes
          -[OIJ]-

Comment

Move a chess piece Dave.... you are slow.
            Meat Drapes
            -[OIJ]-

Comment

LoL love Ol' Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

Originally posted by Clardog

LoL love Ol' Calvin and Hobbes
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Are you using a software firewall along with your router? Antivirus software? I know that people who have been having stuttering problems during gameplay have had AVG (antivirus) and zonealarm running which is currently known to cause issues.

Just FYI to anyone who comes across this thread who has the stuttering issue, Kerio Personal Firewall is suppose to not cause any issues with Steam or CSS. As far as AVG, just disable during gameplay.

The Muffin Man

Comment

I moved from ZoneAlarm to Sygate when I was playing with a ListenServer.
                    Seems to work well.

Don't forget the port forwarding thing.
                    Every now and then my local DHCP IP address changes and I have to adjust the forwarding accordingly. No biggie.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

While I'm playing CS, I have the following programs also running:
                      ZoneAlarm
                      Norton AV
                      MS AntiSpyware
                      Trillian (connected to MSN, AIM, ICQ and Yahoo)
                      Direct Connect (unless someone's actively downloading, in which case I shut it down)
                      [email protected]
                      Xfire

I'm also forwarding the following ports:
                      27000 to 27015 UDP
                      27030 to 27039 TCP
                      1200 UDP

I have no problem except for the occasionaly choke-fest, but that's server related... I rarely see my fps drop below a hundred...

You can check the compare URL in the 3dMark thread in the Hardware/Software Forum for my machine specs if you want...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I have Norton Firewall, but disable it because it causes high latency. I have Norton Antivirus... and it stays on. I do not have a firewall in my router right now.
                        I will just have to deal with this when the tourney comes.
                        Dave, who is our third? We need to think about anyone at this point. I dont care if they are a vet or not. I dont want that to stop us.. and if we can get someone else involved... super.

Jeff
                        Meat Drapes
                        "Tastes like chicken"
                        Meat Drapes
                        -[OIJ]-

Comment

change your router

I used to get the netchannel failed errors, too. CS would play fine, but when a new map loaded, I was able to play about a minute until the game would start freezing-up / lagging. If I looked at the console, it was being spammed with a ton of netchannel failed messages. That was when I had a Linksys router with the latest firmware.

I switched to a Motorola wireless router, and lo and behold, no more netchannel errors. My Counter-Strike: Source has played error-free ever since.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X