Weird comp crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird comp crashes

At some point last night while playing CS my screen went blank, like the monitor itself had turned itself off. Computer still running and making the right noises but no screen. Tried ctrl-alt-delete and windows button, but nothing. So i hit restart button and it all fires up ok.

Think nothing more about, or just assume my card got a tad too hot or it's just a Steam thing, or something.

Then i get an email from Cujo saying he was playing CS, and it suddenly his crashed and eventually restarted, but only properly after a few goes and still with memory dumps.

Then i get a PM from Clardog, (i'i hope he doesn't mind me posting it here)

I was on server one, I capped a guy and my moniter started going wild, like I was spinning my mouse around and I posted a message (I didn't the comp did)
    that said Bad Trip. It ended when I got killed. Have you heard of this?

All very odd. Could be coincidence and they're all unrelated, but could there be something else (possibly more sinister) going on? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Re: Weird comp crashes

This was definitly not something on my end (well not a hardware issue). I'll do a virus scan again, I did one first thing and found nothing but I may have picked up a bad file somewhere.

I killed a guy and the very instant that I did my view started wierding around like I was moving the mouse in a circle and there was a message posted as if I had done a say command Clardog: Wowwww Bad Trip!!!

this is from my console:

Clardog killed |TG-E| MoNkErZ with famas.
    Teammate kills: 1 of 3
    Clardog killed Somniloquist with famas.
    Clardog: Woowwwwww! Bad Trip!!!
    xLA EmEx x3MeNaCex3 killed C4T4LYST with m4a1.
    xLA EmEx x3MeNaCex3 killed [Insert name here] with m4a1.
    |TG-n/a| Sergeant killed |TG| SiL3NSR <B.4.3.> with famas.
    |TG-n/a| Sergeant killed FPS Doug with famas.
    jc chon killed Clardog with mac10.
    Player: Clardog - Damage Given
    -------------------------
    Damage Given to "|TG-E| MoNkErZ" - 27 in 1 hit
    Damage Given to "Somniloquist" - 46 in 2 hits
    Player: Clardog - Damage Taken
    -------------------------
    Damage Taken from "Somniloquist" - 36 in 2 hits
    Damage Taken from "FPS Doug" - 37 in 2 hits
    Damage Taken from "jc chon" - 67 in 2 hits
    FPS Doug: lol i think i shouldnt use dualies any more
    Puss in boots ( GITS ) connected
    [Insert name here]: wow i just had a massive lag spike, must be my comp
    jc chon: =/
    jc chon: sorry
    (Counter-Terrorist) |TG-n/a| Sergeant: woo got a nasty head shot
    FPS Doug: no its not u
    FPS Doug: happend to me too
    |TG-E| MoNkErZ connected
    Action Jesus: what's the command to show your fps

Comment

this is some crazy UFO shi... stuff!
      i havent had any of these problems...yet

Comment

Clardog killed |TG-E| MoNkErZ with famas.
        Teammate kills: 1 of 3
        Clardog killed Somniloquist with famas.
        Clardog: Woowwwwww! Bad Trip!!!

That sounds like an anti-TK program. I shot Dave in the back of the head (when he was on my team)with a scout on accident and he blinded me for around 20-30 seconds as one of his options. I doubt someone wrote a virus that hacks CS and make you spin around.

As for memory read errors.... well, I'll post more on them in the hardware forum later on.

EDIT: 9v, see if they make a hardware monitor for your video card. Run it and check the temperature while messing around in a regualr windows environment. Then game CS hard. After a while check the temp again. If you get the black screen, reboot quick and check the temp.

You can then contact your Card manufacturer for temperature tolerances.

Comment

Hmmm definatly something not right there. Especially with the "wow bad trip" deal. I know that the admin plug-in can have you say stuff without you knowing, but I have not heard of it taking control of your player. It would not surprise me if there was a plug in to this effect. Where you guys on at the same time? This certainly requires some investigation. It doesn't sound like 9v, and your problems are related in my opinion.

Anyone??

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

That's one of the TK punishes, I believe. DON'T TK! :)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

lol ok it may be an anti t-k thing... I'll have to test that and see.

thanks for the help guys, I've never seen anything like that and I wanted to make sure if someone was hacking the game all you guys knew about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clardog
                lol ok it may be an anti t-k thing... I'll have to test that and see.
                I will selflessly volunteer to be the one who guns you down in our spawn.

Comment

Your the man (I think ) Fenix. Let me finish updating and I'll be on.

Comment

You mean that there's probably nothing sinister going on...?

Oh. Ok. :icon_frow

Fenix: Thanks for that, will do. i know the 9800 Pro does run significantly hotter than most (i think it's something 30 more than the 9600!) but it has a big fat arse Coolermaster heatsink with a heat-exchange pipe and a fan in a cool case, so in theory it shouldn't get too hot...

i've looked for a monitor but i've found nothing yet, but if i can't find one i'll fit a probe from my fanspeed controller into it (something i've been meaning to do for a while now anyway..)

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                      Fenix: Thanks for that, will do. i know the 9800 Pro does run significantly hotter than most (i think it's something 30 more than the 9600!) but it has a big fat arse Coolermaster heatsink with a heat-exchange pipe and a fan in a cool case, so in theory it shouldn't get too hot...

i've looked for a monitor but i've found nothing yet, but if i can't find one i'll fit a probe from my fanspeed controller into it (something i've been meaning to do for a while now anyway..)
                      Anything I can do to help.

Do you own any other high-res games? UT2k4, Doom3, etc that you could test on? If you can recreate the error in another game, then at least you can rule out Steam.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X