Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should model consistency be enforced on the server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should model consistency be enforced on the server?

We have a decision to make.. Custom models, while fun to have, also allow for abuse. Glowing models are the usual problem, allowing enemies to spot you quicker than they normally would.

For a good example of what can happen, please see this image..

So, what will it be? Enforce model consistency, thus requiring all players to uninstall their custom models, or leave it the way it is?
    Yes, I don't want anyone shooting at my glowing head.
    61.11%
    No, I love my models too much.
    20.83%
    What, me worry?
    18.06%

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Should model consistency be enforced on the server?

I've just never seen the need for custom models in games like CS, NS, BF1942 and the like. It's about rank and file tactics and killing them before they kill you.

Games like Jedi-Oucast and Jedi Academy actually have uses for them as everyone wants to be their own "Uber-1337 Jedi RAWR!" so it's understandable. I only see two reasons for custom models in CS:

1. For laughs: it's distracting you from your job.
    2. Cheating: Um, yea that's it on that one.

Comment

Enable model consistency.

If I want a Custom Model, I'll buy a die-cast Gundam.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I voted no. Unless we have reason to believe that this is a serious problem, I don't see the need. That screenshot looks pretty trivial to me. I doubt even 5% of the players on this server use abusive models, and there are lots of players out there who get tired of the defaults and enjoy customizing. The players who are going to use "cheating" models are generally the people who are going to get kicked for other reasons on this server anyway.

Comment

Im a big fan of custom models, some models are were done very badly ie M4 ak. The m4 and the ak both suffer from the same modeling error, they are both left handed weapons when you are using right handed models or vice versa. They eject the spent shells on the wrong side of the gun if you havent noticed already. For this reason and many more I choose to use more realistic models and sounds, they add to the gameplay, without custom models I probably wouldnt play the game.

Well thats my two cents, and another thing. I have noticed since the recent update that you cannot change player models anymore they are forced, so the glowing cts that were shown in the pic are irrelevant. I have not seen any glowing weapon models and I have been to every source model site i can find. So in turn I do not believe that custom models should be an issue relevant to one person having an advantage over another.

Michael

Comment

In the past for many/most of the games I played I enjoyed a bit of customization. However, I agree with Fenix in that the only two reasons for you to ever want* a custom model are even more trivial/stupid then the threat of this being exploited on the server(s).

That screenshot is just one mere example of custom models being abused. Back in my TFC days (remember a lot of that crowd plays CS, too) there was a bunch of sniper models that made them easier to hit as a counter-sniper. And for CS specifically I can recall the glowing blockhead models being talked about on a few servers.

Most of the people who make these models don't publicly release them. They're made for themselves only or passed on through the grapevine by acquaintance or shady forums. This may impeade thier widespread distribution, but it does more to hinder knowledge of thier overall use/existence. Ignorace is bliss until your head looks like the K-Mart blue light shining through smoke accross the map.

In my opinion, no one here is especially attached to any custom models they got yet. And if someone joins then leaves the server because his Deagle doesn't look like a golden Colt 1911, more power to him. That takes balls to just leave the best CS:S server out there because of he's vain about his weapon models.

*Note: custom models are not a necessity

Comment

.. i thought consistency was enforced. i sure hope it gets enforced now.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus
                your head looks like the K-Mart blue light shining through smoke
                ... clean up on aisle 6...
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Besides, valve already included the "New England Patriots CT skin pack" with the latest patch.

PS: Yes, I will milk that joke for all it's worth.

Comment

I'd love to have CT models that displayed our names on the back of our body armour. But then I probably belong in an asylum....

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
                      I'd love to have CT models that displayed our names on the back of our body armour. But then I probably belong in an asylum....
                      I can't find most of the other pics at this time, but I spent well over 10 hours making a skin for Academy. I even went so far as to graft my own face onto the model because ...well.... because I could. And isn't that what life is really all about?

Anyways, might as well pimp the one pic I can find readily off hand: Here

Oh yea, that's just a test as the phoenix on the hood looked like crap. You're not crazy, you're just a die-hard gamer.... so I guess.. yea... that does make you insane. Welcome to the club, we'll mail your membership card shortly.

Comment

you guys are f'ing insane. not really j/k.
                        i wish i knew how to do crap like that

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                          I voted no. Unless we have reason to believe that this is a serious problem, I don't see the need. That screenshot looks pretty trivial to me. I doubt even 5% of the players on this server use abusive models...
                          Even if a model wasn't designed to give a player an advantage, any model that allows you to see something different than what everone else is seeing can give an unfair advantage. I agree, it's nice to customize CS, but on our PCS servers I'd have to say no.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

umm... guys... you arent talking about models... you are talking about skins.. i think.. LOL... btw.. i hate the new CT models valve put out.. it does however make me wanna go play Madden Football :) ..
                            -'~-,~-'~-Essence-Of-Judas-,~-~'-~,-
                            "Real Me Scout"
                            Pronunciation: 'skaut
                            Etymology: from Middle French escouter to listen,
                            1 : to explore an area to obtain information (as about an enemy)
                            2 : to observe in order to obtain information or evaluate
                            3 : to use rifle and pick off opposition
                            4 : to watch for openings in defense for bomb run
                            5 : headshot

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                              If I want a Custom Model, I'll buy a die-cast Gundam.
                              If I never played on TG I would how different that sentence would be. I say no don't enforce model consistency. I love my custom G-Unit terrorist skin. BTW Fenix that is the coolest Dark Jedi I have ever seen. Second only to Darth Nihilict or whatever his name is from the Sith Lords.
                              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X