reserved slots after 4/5 update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserved slots after 4/5 update

The 4/5 Source dedicated server update finally introduced the HLDS server variable sv_visiblemaxplayers to SRCDS.

This allows me to shroud the real number of server slots with a fake number of server slots. Only this fake number is broadcast to server browsers (including Steam's) which want to know how many slots a server has.

Despite it actually having a few more slots than 15 (the extra slots allow more than one person to join the full server at the same time -- no more "Server is full." messages!), I've set our server to publish a value of 15 (14 players + SourceTV).

When the server is full, players with reserved slots cannot use Steam's server browser to join the server, as the Steam server browser will not allow you to even attempt to join a server that it sees as full. To use a reserved slot to join the full server, you must first launch Counter-Strike: Source, then open the console, and then issue the following command, replacing <serverAddress> with the IP address and port of the server to which you're trying to connect:

connect <serverAddress>

This will cause you to force a connection attempt, at which point the server will authenticate your SteamID as reserved and authorize you to join the full server.

Some may see this as laborious when we could just always leave an extra, unused slot on the server at all times, thus allowing members to simply join and not have to go to this trouble. However, with the configuration above, our friends without reserved slots are able to use the feature of many server browsers (including Steam's) to constantly monitor a full server and attempt to join only when a slot becomes available. Therefore, this configuration makes the server most accessible for the greatest number of players, both with and without reservation.

Many third-party server browsers (including HLSW and ASE, about which I'll leave Google to educate you) allow you to force a connection to a full server, and I recommend their use to players with reserved slots on the server.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: reserved slots after 4/5 update

at last!!!! a little something for the members-exclusive!!

Comment

How could one bind the server addresses to a key?

Comment

Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
        How could one bind the server addresses to a key?
        bind "[" "connect <serverAddress>"
        bind "]" "connect <serverAddress>"

For example, using today's server addresses, it would be:

bind "[" "connect 67.19.132.154:27015"
        bind "]" "connect 67.19.132.155:27015"

Pressing [ would throw you into TGCS #1, and pressing ] would throw you into TGCS #2.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That being said, still cant access the servers.
          If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
          with any questions or concerns.
          |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            bind "[" "connect <serverAddress>"
            bind "]" "connect <serverAddress>"

For example, using today's server addresses, it would be:

bind "[" "connect 67.19.132.154:27015"
            bind "]" "connect 67.19.132.155:27015"

Pressing [ would throw you into TGCS #1, and pressing ] would throw you into TGCS #2.
            you're the best !!!!

Comment

this will be nice to keep out the random pubbies who just join on certain maps.

- -

Comment

If you want a 3rd party server monitor, check out the ASE (All Seeing Eye). It's a nice app.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

I put the binds in the console, but nothing happens when i hit the [ or ] keys. Am i an idiot....ok i am but am i being one in this case?

Comment

Perhaps the client-side config file in which those binds are defined and stored isn't executed until you try to join a server?

Try executing the following command in your console before you attempt to use the binds?

exec config.cfg

Comment

What are we gaining from this style? I know that this will help players who don't already know that 14/15 (or now 15/16?) is full, but if it really inconveniences the rest of us, then what good is it?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                        What are we gaining from this style? I know that this will help players who don't already know that 14/15 (or now 15/16?) is full, but if it really inconveniences the rest of us, then what good is it?
                        I think it's all a plot to keep me off the server.

Seriously, why force me to type an IP address to connect when the way we had it allowed for my reserved slot to work by just double clicking on my Steam favorites? This new method is doing nothing (that I see) but make it more difficult for supporting members to play CS here.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Man, hopefully they will change the steam browser to try and connect even if it is "full". Then there wouldn't be this problem. And by allowing server's to publish an artificial max player, you'd think they had this very use in mind(getting rid of the pretty common practice of haveing one more slot than really allowed), and would have thought of this connection problem.

It does seem funny that it is the paying players who are being inconvenienced by this to aleave the non-paying members false hopes of joining? And you'd think most everyone was used to not being able to join servers with only one slot left anyway. Doesn't seem worth it?

Comment

Here, have some cheese.

Seriously, the NS server has been doing this for quite some time now. It's easy to get used to. The kick comes very late, it's very rude to do that to the thousands of other cs players

But anyway, here's another good idea:
                            Right click on your cs, create a desktop short cut. right click on the shortcut, do properties, and add the following to the end of the command:
                            +connect 67.19.132.154:27015

Bam. Desktop shortcut that starts up CS and connects to TG, all with a quick click. Tell me that isn't _faster_ than opening your favorites.

Comment

I can appreciate the confusion about my motive in this decision, and I only want in this setting what we all decide is best. If we want the unused slot, I can again make that happen. Especially given al's contribution (the one about the shortcut, not the one about the cheese.. heh.), I don't think it's necessary... but I'm listening.

Essentially, I've prioritized our experience of being in the game over our experience of getting in the game. As al pointed out, the TGNS community has already been through this experience long ago, and the configuration I detailed in this thread's first post has been very successful for us. That playerbase hasn't complained about it, that I recall.

Ideally, when you're on the server, you want it full. To strike an analogy, the same could be said for a nightclub... you want folks waiting in line to get in... so that the place is always hoppin'. What this setting does, essentially, is allow regulars who can't afford a supporting membership to "stand in line" to join the full server.

Because it makes the server more accessible to more players more often, this setting actually adds more gameplay value for supporting members, as, much like it happens on the TGNS server nightly, it's very likely that, with the departure of one friend from the full TGCS server, another friend (and sometimes two, or three -- but only one survives) appears immediately to replace him, because he was standing in line, waiting to join.

( In case someone doesn't understand: the Steam server browser can be configured to automatically and immediately connect to the server when a slot becomes available. This is what I mean by "standing in line". It allows players to stay at their machines and pursue other interests while they wait for the slot to open, at which point their attention is immediately turned to you, the supporting member, as they join the server you're playing on. )

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X