Captains Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Game

Captains Games are something we've been doing in the TG Natural Selection server for some time. They're wildly popular there, and I'm introducing them to TG CS, where they'll either be wildly popular or fall flat. :)

=======

CAPTAINS GAMES

WHY: Promote careful (compared to typical PCS games, much less the traditional CS offering) planning, communication, and coordination, and the advanced tactics that these enhancements make possible, in intense, "pure" PCS gameplay.

WHAT: Two regulars volunteer to captain a team. The captain's role is two-fold: select her team and choose either to lead or delegate a leader. The teams, having been picked one player at a time, are very focused on their need to rely on each other and complete their objective together. Each team having formed one player at a time, gameplay among friends seems a bit more "personal". :)

WHERE: Tactical Gamer public Counter-Strike Source servers.

WHEN: Only when the server is filled exclusively or almost exclusively with regulars (supporting members or otherwise) and at least one full-time admin (to manage the few changes which are necessary for the server to smoothly accomodate the arrangement). This is something that's best experienced among players who know each other, and it can actually be kinda confusing/frustrating to strangers. If any player -- be they stranger, regular, supporting member, admin, etc -- objects to this mode of play, it shouldn't happen. This only works when everyone wants it.

=======

I hosted a dry run at this last night. Many thanks to the regulars who patiently allowed me to feel my way through bringing this great idea to a new game/server. I was only on one team, but my team had a blast with it. It's sorta like playing a mini-tournament-match, and the gameplay should be more exciting than most (not all) typical games. Because it's exclusively or almost exclusively regulars, boundaries are MUCH looser than typical PCS games, or disregarded altogether, as our focus on the objective is guaranteed.

( folks present last night: what you read below may differ slightly from what we did last night, as this is still a work in progress )

The idea behind this is that you build from a bunch of regulars two clearly-defined teams who are very committed to working together and applying -- even building a PLAN around -- their combined talents toward their objective's success. There's a bit more time between rounds, to allow teams a tad more time to plan each round.

The two teams play two games (first to 9 rounds wins), the two captains deciding (with the consultation of their team, of course) after the first game if the second game is played on the same map or a new map. Regardless of the map played in the second game, the team that played offense on the first map plays defense on the second map, and vice versa, even if that means both teams play CT or T in both games.

If both teams win a round, they can either play a tiebreaker or leave it at the tie.

There are other minor details you'll pick up as you play (for example, all players join Spectator while teams are picked), and this is still new, so we may decide to change something about it as we "port" it from TGNS to TGCS.

I'll be hosting more of these games this week when players allow me to. I'll be figuring out what works, what doesn't, and documenting everything for the admins who care to also host captains games.

So, more on this as it develops. I just wanted to share the premise with you guys in the meantime.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Captains Game

I would much like to be apart of these Captain games...
    Is it possible to organize a time when these will happen?

-swoop-

Comment

Good idea!

I've been thinking about this very same thing and waited to post about it till it was more organized. I'm all for this everytime i get on! I'm also willing to be a captain to initiate such events :P

- -

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| swoop
        I would much like to be apart of these Captain games...
        Is it possible to organize a time when these will happen?
        We could, I suppose. It's never been done that way before.

Although, on the NS server, it's pretty much understood that, in the evenings, when it's all regulars, we'll always get in one or two captains games.

Reserved slots now choose victims based on connection time. So, if you're not a supporting member and want to increase your chances that you'll survive the slot reservation disconnections, much less make it into captains games, showing up to the server as early as possible in the afternoon/evening is what you want to do.

Regulars in captains games receive no special treatment with regard to slot reservation. If you're in the middle of the greatest game of your life, you're still going to get kicked for reserved slots if the server has to make room for an incoming player. Captains games aren't special in this regard whatsoever.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think that wyz was talking about this being the way we play...

i agree with everything that he has said...

iono....just as confused as a hungry baby at a topless bar.

At school and bored...

-Monkz
          Allen: Yeah, you're right.
          Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Can you post times when you would like to do this, I like this idea along with Yer Mom's about having "practice" times. It makes those of us without Wyz's server and admin skillz feel more proactive about our servers rather than simply hopping on whenever. However, special care does need to be taken with name bugs when it comes to this, although I have noticed that if someone with a glitched name stays till the server opens a new map their name goes back to normal at the start of a map, I'm guessing the only ones who get glitched will be those who join in the middle of a map. Restarting the map does not fix this either as RGZ custom was named cquest something or other for the entire match with team E.

Comment

As I have been playing NS lately, and dominating everyone who comes in my way except ENIGA MINE WHORE **** **** ****** ******** **** ****...

Eh... sorry...

It is an AWESOME way to play.

NS has a ready room, as I'm sure most of you know, and this is where most of this takes place.

CS does not have a ready room, and I figure that's going to be more of the confusion. If we all hit spectator, wouldn't that make us all possible victims of reserved slots?

Makes sense to me.

-Mom
              Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

The only problem I see is that people here tend to drop out of games all of the time. We would need people who are committed to sticking around for a good length of time in order to get consistency in the gameplay.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Count me in on this, I'm available anytime, any place, just let me know.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                    The only problem I see is that people here tend to drop out of games all of the time. We would need people who are committed to sticking around for a good length of time in order to get consistency in the gameplay.
                    Really, the duration of commitment need only be on map (one first-to-nine), as switching sides can be optional. Most folks do that much time on a map by default.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Tempus, I see your point and shared it when we started Captains Games in NS.

Yeah, you feel it, but it's not deal-breaking by any stretch, at least not in NS.

Plus, it's much easier to come into the middle of a CS game, which is broken into many, many rounds, than it is to come into an NS game, which is a solid 40 minutes without interruption. The biggest problem with NS is losing a commander, and even that typically means another commander.... at least one.... is available among your team's players.

Comment

i'd love to be in this. Leading is one of my strong points, sounds like lots of fun.

Comment

OH wow how much that ruled in the first part!

Sorry Vulc, guess I just know how to pick 'em better ;-)

Me(t) and Vulcan(ct) were captains for a game of Havana that was very well played by both teams. The ct's scored the first 2, then t's won one, then the ct's got another, and finally we won the rest. The second round was still fine when we switched teams, but some people left and some pubbies joined, though we still won 6-2 B-)

Comment

We would of had it when Vulc's team went T.... Yes we would have.

lol

-swoop-

Comment

But wait... whats that? whats that i'm trying to say? ...

OH YEAH! Y'all didn't! :P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X