Download speeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download speeds

During the game as we play there are those little banners that flash across the top of the screen. One of them boasts " High Speed downloads".
    I tried it out and DL'd Jungle Rescue.

I was impressed with 594K/sec. Anyone do better?

Meat
    Meat Drapes
    -[OIJ]-
    Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Re: Download speeds

Each person will be limited only by the connection speed of his ISP, as there's no way any of us, with residential connections, is going to come close to the speed at which that server and its datacenter/pipe can push content out.

Maybe.... and I mean MAYBE... if everyone on the server downloaded a new map from the server at the same time would they each see downloads slower than your typically file download site... but, even then, it's going to get you the map faster than you could quit CSS, download the map manually (from anywhere, much less our server), extract the files manually (and guaranteed without error), and reconnect to the server.

This is what supporting memberships give us. It's why my gratitude and enthusiam for seeing a new one is so sincere every time I express it. Yeah, we could host a bunch of CSS servers on member-owned, cable-connected Pentium IIIs, but it just wouldn't be the experience we all enjoy every day around here.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

So does all that mean you are dial-up?
      Meat Drapes
      -[OIJ]-
      Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

How do you know your real-time download speed? I used to use (and love) netpersec, but it stopped working for some reason.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes
          So does all that mean you are dial-up?
          I don't see anything in my post that suggests anyone is on dial-up, and I'm a little confused by your question. Maybe you could rephrase it?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            How do you know your real-time download speed?
            I would just go find a reputable site, with a "fat pipe," and see how quickly you download their product.

I'd recommend Sun's Java download sites (java.sun.com) for the JDK or JRE. Those products are large and served very, very quickly.

Comment

You own a stake in your internet service provider, have enable access to all the Cisco equipment, and run a ttcp test between the access router and your home machine. Yeah, it's extreme, but it's the only way to be sure.

:P
              "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

I was only poking fun at you a little about the dial up. This site happened to have the fastest download I have experienced with my current ISP. I usually avg about 420K...here I got the 590+. I was bored and decided to let the world know how excited I was. You have deflated me now. Its no longer fun. :icon6:
                Did I mention how much I enjoy CS and how I have enjoyed it here for years?
                Meat Drapes
                -[OIJ]-

Comment

You mention it every time you join the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    I would just go find a reputable site, with a "fat pipe," and see how quickly you download their product.
                    No.. I want to know how he knew his exact download speed in that case.. I know my 'peak' download speed, but I want to be downloading something and say, "Hey, I'm getting 160KB/s RIGHT NOW."

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

oh. Hrm... that would be a good question for the hardware/software forum.

About five years ago, I used something called DUMeter ("Dial-Up"), which seemed to track my broadband speeds in real time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X