But why that name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But why that name?

I have often wondered the reason(s) behind why we choose our name.

Twisted Firestarter: Why are you twisted and does this cause you to lite fires

Yer Mom: What about my mom?

Hemmoroids: sorry bro...Prep H

As for me...swoop was the name of a character in the movie DROP ZONE...ok movie.
    The personality of the character in the movie is very similar to mine...easy going, loyal to family/friends, enjoy my life, and do the best with the "cards given to me". So i took the name.

-swoop-
    Last edited by Swoop; 04-20-2005, 08:11 PM.

Re: But why that name?

I was always into Batman when I was younger and I had lots of action figures and everything.I chose this name about 5 years ago just messing around with my brother when we first got computers and were playing games on-line.

Comment

My name was given me by CB radio contacts. Just learning to drive (too fast) when my interest in the CB radio peaked, I took the handle "lead foot", only to learn that two locals already competed for the handle.

OTA aquaintantances, enjoying my company, but realizing my comfort in poking fun at complete strangers and good friends alike, and explaining that "lead foot" was pretty much off-limits, ceremoniously dubbed me 'wisecrack'. LOL... I can still remember the raspy, cancer-destined lung that dubbed me... guy's name was "Charmin" (shar-min), because "he's a nice guy until ya squeeze him." LOL.

I decided to make it my vehicle's vanity plate, so I had to shorten the spelling. The arguably-imperfect phonetics came later, in response to otherwise well-intentioned chaps calling for "wizzcrack". lol
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I used to be "EnemyATheGates" because i loved the dramatic actions of that movie.

Today, I'm Nightfire because of a certain game "James Bond 007: Nightfire" that made me REALLY love james bond. i'm not as strong of a bond supporter as i used to but it's good enough ;).

Comment

ummmmmmmmm well long disturbing story around my name. my name is shortened from its original name in the story so as not to be found as rude or anything like that.

Edit: oh and the IC stands for International Conflict. (is there anyway to change that in my profile)

Comment

Originally posted by IC-Phantom
            (is there anyway to change that in my profile)
            PM Apophis, as he can assist you.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

lol... been waiting for one of these threads to pop up.. lol

"Klassen reminds us that if we fail to recognize Judas in ourselves,
              we have missed the point of the Gospel;
              that if we do not acknowledge Judas as our brother,
              then we miss the essence of redemption;
              that if we continue to silence the voice of Judas,
              then we lose something of our humanity,
              and much of the experience of God's love."

"Today, more than ever before,
              the evil one roams the world to develop in hearts the essence of Judas.
              Yes, even among many who wear the garb of one consecrated to God,
              there lies the heart of Judas."

see also:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tneff/st110.htm#P07
              (directed link)

http://www2.drury.edu/cpanza/dom13.html
              (scroll down to numbers 1,2,&3 for the lazy readers )
              -'~-,~-'~-Essence-Of-Judas-,~-~'-~,-
              "Real Me Scout"
              Pronunciation: 'skaut
              Etymology: from Middle French escouter to listen,
              1 : to explore an area to obtain information (as about an enemy)
              2 : to observe in order to obtain information or evaluate
              3 : to use rifle and pick off opposition
              4 : to watch for openings in defense for bomb run
              5 : headshot

Comment

My first forum ever was the Ion Storm game developer forums a good several years ago. I was 12 or 13 then, and was drawn there by a fantastic game called Deus Ex (the original, not the mediocre sequal). One of the enemies in the game was a genetically engineered creature called a Karkian, that was basically an alligator combined with a Hippo, and the fact that it was so cool, fast, hard to kill, did alot of damage, and ate dead bodies made me respect it. So I joined the forum as Karkian, plus a man on the end of it for no reason. So anyway, I was only used to playing online, and had memories of every single name I tried to get being taken already, and having to add stuff at the end, so I added for no reason 101 (no, i didnt know about the textbooks like Economics 101), and I became Karkianman101.

Comment

I used to be called "Stretch" back when I played RTCW. I thought the name was a cool WWII name you would here in a WWII movie. I changed to Maj.}{avok when BF1942 came out, still keeping military theme. Havok actually is a comic book character (he is Cyclops's brother and was part of X-Factor) and I just added the Maj..

Comment

Wintermute was the name of an insane artificial intelligence in the cult "cyber-punk" book 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.
                    Voices. Ihe Founder from Los Angeles was staring at Case. "We monitor many frequencies. We listen always. Came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. It played us a mighty dub."

"Call 'em Winter Mute." said the other, making it two words.

Case felt the skin crawl on his arms.

"The Mute talked to us," the first Founder said. "The Mute said we are to help you."

"When was this?" Case asked.

"Thirty hours prior You dockin' Zion."

"You ever hear this voice before?"

"No," said the man from Los Angeles, "and we are uncertain of its meaning. If these are Final Days, we must expect false p rophets .... "
                    This book coined the term "matrix" incidentally.
                    Case lowered the gun. "This is the matrix. You're Wintermute. "

"Yes. This is all coming to you courtesy of the simstim unit wired into your deck, of course. I'm glad I was able to cut you off before you'd managed to jack out." Deane walked around the desk, straightened his chair, and sat dowm. Sit, old son. We have a lot to talk about."
                    Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    The arguably-imperfect phonetics came later, in response to otherwise well-intentioned chaps calling for "wizzcrack". lol
                    I was one of those nubs who didn't get the joke for ages :)
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Haha... I am sooooo lame... K is my first initial, Hazard is my last name... K+Hazard=KHazard :-). Sometimes people call me Kazard, but mostly it is just Hazard (which is not a bad last name to have if you use it for a name in a game like CS).

Comment

Originally posted by KHazard
                        Haha... I am sooooo lame... K is my first initial, Hazard is my last name... K+Hazard=KHazard :-). Sometimes people call me Kazard, but mostly it is just Hazard (which is not a bad last name to have if you use it for a name in a game like CS).
                        lol.. .. I was using my first two intials and last name...kwhickey.. and people thougt it was a derivation of "quickie"...

"dog"... was an appellation we used to call our "wandering" friends in college....
                        It was easy, and unused.. so I grabbed it

Comment

Hmmmm, let me see....
                          Tastes like chicken.
                          There are few finer things in life.
                          Meat Drapes
                          -[OIJ]-
                          Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

Man.... where to start. My name is the result of years spent gaming. I had an old AD&D character named Fenix Tenindraus. He was an Avariel and I was looking for a different way to spell Phoenix, so I went phonetically (funny how that word is spelled with a ph). Played him up until 13th level, had loads of fun, decided to use the name whenever I could.

I started using it on the Zone, then this absolutely attrocious band came out called "River Fenix (which is probably making the actor spin in his grave)." In almost every game I played "hay, yuo liek rivar fenex! I love tehm." I ditched the name in favor of the extremely cliche "Slayer187" handle for a while.

After Starcraft had been out for a while, and River Fenix had gone the way of every other crappy punkband in that time frame: I wanted to use my name again. This was when TFC had been rolling for about a year. I tacked on "The" and started capitalizing the X and here I am.

Comment

I always used Vulcan, for the greek reference to Hephaestus, the greek god of armor and fortitude. Also Vulcan Raven was the evil machine gunner in MGS. The big dude with a huge gun rack on his back. Had to fight him in the huge fridge. Tons of fun.

Vulcan is also a designation for a Howitzer artillery gun.

It all came from the Greek reference to the god of armor though.
                              http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...Hephaestus.htm

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X