my apologies, and some changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my apologies, and some changes

First of all, I regret having to upgrade the server during prime playing time. This server fills every night, and I work all day (and sometimes at night), so, while in the past I've gone out of my way to avoid interrupting playtime on the server in order to do my maintenance, I've for some time now simply barged in, done my dirty work, and vanished again.

Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that things "get broke" and my interruption lasts longer than I anticipate. Such was the case tonight, when I broke both servers for several hours.

I sat down to do a simple admin mod update, eager to benefit from a new documented feature. Not only did it take me all night to figure out that it is that very feature which was crashing the server, but Steam decided to upgrade the CSS server in the middle of my work (since when do they release updates on MONDAYS?!), further complicating my already-complex troubleshooting (the nature in which the servers crashed rarely repeated, and I had them both broken... VERY BROKEN.. for some time tonight).

Anyway, the servers are again stable now. There are two changes I want to mention:

1) players attacking their teammates at the beginning of the round (in/near the spawn area) now experience mirror damage. I won't go into details about how much, but you're gonna feel it if you pop your buddies, and you're going to kill yourself if you do it too much.

2) only admins can spectate (this may or may not stay).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: my apologies, and some changes

Oh, and map votes are no longer automatic.

Thank God.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Oh, and you can tell players to type either of the following in chat to see our MOTD, which the admins, with 9v behind the wheel, are in the process of revamping:

motd

rules

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        2) only admins can spectate (this may or may not stay).
        Wouldn't this b0rk captains games and their setup?
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I like the mirror damage at spawn, its a problem I see everytime I play.

The other problem is that there have been waaay too many map changes. I mean like 2-3 times as many as necessary. Everytime somone is bored with a map we are voting for a new one sometimes after 2-3 rounds. Its a ridiculous number of map changes lately.
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

yeah, the map votes were automatic after a couple of rounds due to an error....thankfully that is now fixed....

big thanks to wyz for the time he spends on the server..

Comment

Thanks Wyz for putting the time and effort into keeping the server up and running and for doing this on your spare time. I'm sure we can handle a little non-CSS gaming when problems pop up. <-- they should be playing Battlefield anyway.

Great work!
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

1) thanks for the updates and hard work last night, no wonder you didn't play with us

2) I strongly oppose your #2 configuration. I require spectate mode not only because i am "bored" but alot of times i would like to have a bird's view of the whole map and plan my strategy from there. also, being deprived from spectate mode is gonna be hard, i don't necessarily enjoy watching FP-only.

This may not necessarily withdraw TG fans and regular players, but it will disappoint many, like me.

Comment

The admins-only-spectate, while it has its place, was not helpful here, for many reasons. Players and admins alike have asked me to allow all players to spectate ( *I* shouldn't be "allowing" anything -- I'm just the tech grunt... this should have gone through admin review first -- I just saw the setting during my work and slapped it on -- and now it's getting turned off :) ).

I've removed the restriction on spectating. Players can now again spectate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfire
                    2) I strongly oppose your #2 configuration. I require spectate mode not only because i am "bored" but alot of times i would like to have a bird's view of the whole map and plan my strategy from there. also, being deprived from spectate mode is gonna be hard, i don't necessarily enjoy watching FP-only.
                    hmmm. I might not be clear on this.

Wyz -

Did you remove the free-spectator view after a player dies, or did you remove a players ability to join as "Spectator" rather then as a T or CT?

Thanks!

Keith
                    It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

Just read your post. Nevermind.

Thankyou sir!

:)
                      It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

in other words, i want my spec mode ;)

Comment

nightfire, he was talking about going to spectator, not different views in spectator when your dead.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                            nightfire, not ready for this server yet are you padawan.
                            Lookie!! Vulcans keybinds work in the forum!! :icon_bigg

Root
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

wrong it is your quote!

not ready yet are you for this server padawan!

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X