Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An idea that is kind've being discussed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea that is kind've being discussed.

In Monkerz' post about Root or whatever, I noticed a lot of people talking about the form to fill out before being instated into TG and being able to wear the tags.

I can understand this, because I've played like this before.

In 1.6 I was a member of ATF. Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms. It's one of, if not the, largest community on the net of gamers as it stands. They are much like ourselves. They play several different games. There was never a tactical standpoint to any of them, but they do play SEVERAL different games.

Anyways, to get into the clan (eh), you had to read and abide by the rules. You had to fill out an application, and then you had to wait for the ATF members to send you a packet that gives you IPs, passwords, etc. All the information you HAVE TO HAVE to be an ATF member.

There are only two REAL differences between the two communities. One being the tactical standpoint, of course. And the second would have to be ranks. As you developed as an individual in the community's system, you grew in rank. Normally, people would stay Privates and just leave if they didn't like it, but if you REALLY liked the community you would grow in rank. It was hard to get a rank, because you can only have so many people ranked in a certain way. The members and higher rankee's of the clan would vote for people to get the higher rankings when a spot opened up.

http://www.atfclan.com/Tempmembersit...p?division=ATF

That is a link to the roster, you will understand from that.

With higher rankings came higher responsibilities. As you became a Corporal, you had privates under you. Those privates were your responsibility. They were to post at LEAST once every 2 weeks, and if they did not, you were to report that to the upper rankings and they would be contacted, and if they did not reply, they would be kicked out. This way, the clan reserves slots in ranks. This way, there's not 5000 privates. Ranks and responsibilities go on and on, but they get better after time. Captains, for instance, would have the responsibility of contacting the people who didn't post. Your load got lighter the higher you went, I guess you could say. And as the rankings went, came privilages. After a certain rank you were nominated for admin. Only certain nominees get admin, depending on number of posts, topic of posts, handling of responsibilities, etc.

I'm sure, if you're looking at the website, you've noticed the stars. Red stars mean that you have been there for over a year. More and more years mean more and more stars. More and more stars mean more and more chances of being moved up a rank, getting admin, etc.

Although no one was obligated to do their responsibilities, we kinda just did them because they needed to be done.

Now, don't take this wrong. You could stay private for 10 years and not move up ranks if you didn't want to. The only rule was that you HAD to be a private to wear ATF tags. If you were under the recruiting process, you were r_, ie: r_Yer Mom

This way, you could make friends with members, and get to know people, and they would give the clan feedback on the recruit.

It was an awesome system to sit back and watch. The only thing I really didn't like was the seperation of upper ranks and lower ranks. Lower ranks could never know what was going on with the server untill it actually happened. Upper ranks knew and discussed the happenings privately.

It's not an offer to become a military. I'm not throwing this in your laps and expecting you to use it INSTANTLY. I'm giving you ideas so that if you DO decide to reform the community and develop a roster, or just make people sign up, you can have a few ideas at your disposal to brainstorm on.

http://www.atfclan.com/index.aspx <--- Main site

You can also visit the rules section and the sign up section. This will give you even more ideas to brainstorm about. It's a starting place if you do decide to go more... strict... I guess you'd say, with this community.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: An idea that is kind've being discussed.

Originally posted by Apophis
    Things are a lot different from the old XLII.COM / Network 42 Tactical Gaming days. Back then we used to have the application process that people needed to go through in order to play. It was easy to see right off the bat who had the right mindset to play PCS and who didn't. It was also a lot easier to manage the ruleset because the PCS players weren't questioning the rules every other day and trying to debate their way around them. We also had a greater position of trust amongst the players and understood that the other team WOULD be acting as a team and would be performing legitimate tactics rather than the lone-gunman style stuff we see now with a lot of the pubbies and/or confused members.

The big question is, what can we do to bring back the style of play that we used to have? Do we need to re-institute the application process? That took an awful lot of grassroots marketing to get off the ground
    Originally posted by Vulcan
    I really feel that doing a process of some sort to wear a tg tag should be instated. i know things were becoming ever more difficult with the onslaught of new players coming to the servers. It's just a matter of admining and being a fellow teacher. Even among tg members we have alot to learn from each other and we should all be more willing to learn from those who are proven PCS players.
    Tonight I saw three seperate players ignoring PCS whilst wearing TG tags. One was bitching about the admins and the rules and I told he could like it or leave.

Another time, as a CT we killed the bomb carrier. The team was informed and all came running. After a while one TG tag wearer got bored and wandered off. I told him he was out of line and to come back, but his only response was to ask who was the admin on tonight.

The third player went AFK without informing the server and spawned with the bomb. He was (rightly) TKed by a team mate 30 secs into the round. The next round he used his TK punish. OK it was the last round and his team had already lost, but I am not sure if he knew that or not.

These players give TG and the server a bad name and encourage others to do the same.

Maybe applications to play on the server are too much, but having to fill one in to wear the tags might be a good idea. Alternatively, players could earn one with recomendations from other members.

Last time I played there, the NS server was a shining example of how good a TG server can be. Let's make TG PCS just as good.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

That's what I left out... if you wanted to wear the tags ATF, you had to be an r_ for AT LEAST 3 weeks in our server and have AT LEAST 4 members reccomend you...

-Mom
      Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

And another thing, that's the reason I stopped playing CS as much. BFDC is much slower, but a LOT better. NS is a LOT better than the CS server is. I think that its because of the amx_ mod. Members can kick and warn accordingly.

When I'm on NS, I keep my warnings to one. If they repeat the offense after acknowledging my warning, I kick. Simple as that.

-Mom
        Yer Mom /O>

Comment

I also agree with being selective on who puts on the |TG| tag. We have to protect what we represent.

-swoop-

Comment

wow Mom, you haven't been on CSS servers here lately then, supporting members get some temp admin privileges. As it is, I believe Wintermute brings up some startling examples of members of the community only half-heartedly wanting to play by PCS rules. Maybe some sort of reviews are in order, apparently going to the forums and posting your steam ID wasn't enough proof that your heart was with the community's ideals.

Comment

My personal opinion is that the CS servers are overall in a better state today then they were 4 years ago when we had a review process.

Apophis, can you enlighten me on what the review process entailed 4 years ago? I mean, you pretty much just accepted everybody that took the time to fill it out, right?

Can anyone come up with an accurate survey measure that will weed out non-PCS players?
              It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

Originally posted by K2_the_Turtle
                Can anyone come up with an accurate survey measure that will weed out non-PCS players?
                Players not named Keith. :icon_lol:
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K2_the_Turtle
                  My personal opinion is that the CS servers are overall in a better state today then they were 4 years ago when we had a review process.

Apophis, can you enlighten me on what the review process entailed 4 years ago? I mean, you pretty much just accepted everybody that took the time to fill it out, right?

I didn't accept anyone just because they filled out the form. There were several triggers that caused an immediate denial on the application such as; failure to fill out the application in its entirety, comments such as "let me in, I want to play here", any form of "l33t" speak and apparent immaturity in the application itself. Beyond that, the reasons why people wanted to join N42TG were evaluate and ultimately granted an approval or rejection of the application.

The process WAS subjective though and required some thought before approving or rejecting someone.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

as a supporting member, i honestly believe that our community have grown with so many new and different faces. but with more people, we will have to put more restraints and maintain the way of the TGer (read the server rules FAQ).

and apophis, i strongly support the reinstatement of the applications, supporting members and non-supporting members alike.

Comment

largets community of gamers? They had no more than 20 people on that page...

(all officers and very little enlisted...wtf is this, star trek?)

wouldnt have minded an application process to wear the tag....i didnt put it on for about 4 months anyways...didnt put it on until i thought i knew enough...

Comment

Originally posted by section-8
                        largets community of gamers? They had no more than 20 people on that page...

(all officers and very little enlisted...wtf is this, star trek?)

wouldnt have minded an application process to wear the tag....i didnt put it on for about 4 months anyways...didnt put it on until i thought i knew enough...
                        Yep, lots of clans out there with many chiefs, no indians. Hate to see that happen here.

I asked for the TG tag when I became a supporting member. I had been hanging out on the Joint Ops server for a while, using the GWJ (Gamers With Jobs) tag, and thought it was appropriate to carry the TG banner whereever I played. So I asked for it.

But then, I also try to uphold the game play and game style that comes with that tag, which apparently requires discipline and self reflection beyond what most people on the CS:S server are capable of.

I'd support figuring out some way to earn the TG tag. People who use it are "ambassadors" for the site, we should make sure, some how, that the people that use it are on message.

Maybe making it dependant on the admin's discretion. If you uphold the rules, follow the objectives, I'm sure Root or Wyzcrak could PM the player and say "the TG tag is yours if you want it." Or make them ask for it, like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                          I didn't accept anyone just because they filled out the form. There were several triggers that caused an immediate denial on the application such as; failure to fill out the application in its entirety, comments such as "let me in, I want to play here", any form of "l33t" speak and apparent immaturity in the application itself. Beyond that, the reasons why people wanted to join N42TG were evaluate and ultimately granted an approval or rejection of the application.

The process WAS subjective though and required some thought before approving or rejecting someone.
                          Thanks for explaining Paul!

I'm ok with implementing it, but I'm still skeptical that it will solve anything.

For example, look at the current situation. We have some members that are "pushing" the limits of the PCS mindset.

1.) Would you be able to detect them based on an application and if you could, would you really want to deny them access all together?

2.) If we were to restrict access and make everyone go through this application process, would anybody currently playing on the server be rejected? (please don't post names.)

I imagine that the only people that would be denied are the people that are kicked/banned from the server within the first few rounds of joining. I find that there aren't very many people like this...
                          Last edited by K2_the_Turtle; 05-04-2005, 09:46 PM.
                          It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

The roster I posted was just for CSS, which is their main game. The rest of the members are not on the roster due to different game servers and environments.

It had damn near a thousand members, and I've never been or known of a community that was more strict than they were and still are.

That's ATF though, I hated it.

I'm just throwing ideas in the loop.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

Comment

We don't need applications, we need to clone Root. That way he could be on the server

24/7 weeding out all the TG posers.
                              I love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they dont know Im using blanks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X