Protected Server Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protected Server Rules

So, in the course of playing today on the passworded server I was told different things by supporting members. I never want to be breaking the rules, so could an admin clarify?

This protected server: do the same boundary rules apply to it as the public server? or is it up to the situation and player because we all have an understanding of objectives and helping your team?

Thanks guys. Just wondering.

Note: I have read all of the prescribed sticky reading . . . just need more clarification.

Re: Protected Server Rules

Originally posted by liable
    So, in the course of playing today on the passworded server I was told different things by supporting members. I never want to be breaking the rules, so could an admin clarify?

This protected server: do the same boundary rules apply to it as the public server? or is it up to the situation and player because we all have an understanding of objectives and helping your team?

Thanks guys. Just wondering.

Note: I have read all of the prescribed sticky reading . . . just need more clarification.
    Just help your team complete the objective please.

If you don't know what that means for any specific situation, please ask. :)
    It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=18538

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=18537

If your not familiar with how pcs is supposed to played, The usual public server games are not counted in this "knowing how to play PCS" as of late, You should follow others leads and think of the best way you can help your team survive. Use up the whole timer, plan, execute a plan, try tweaking it. Talk to other teammates, have them formulate a plan together. The protected server is gonna have the largest hammer ever seen, weilded by root most of the time.

- -

Comment

The rules are no different from one server to the next. Only expectations differ.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          The rules are no different from one server to the next. Only expectations differ.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by liable
            do the same boundary rules apply to it as the public server?
            Can you justify being across the boundaries as being in the best interests of TEAM and OBJECTIVE? Does you're team have sufficient strength for you to do doing what you're doing? It's all very well saying you have 3 team mates at each bomb site, and you have a pretty good idea where the last 2 T's are, but if your team mates all have very low HP, numbers alone can't justify it. On the other hand, if you're all at pretty much full strength, and the last T is shooting at double doors on Aztec, by all means communicate to your team that you want to cross the bridge to flank, and get their approval before you execute your plan.

Most of the time however, there is no real need to cross the boundaries, especially as very few here seem to have any sort of grasp on PCS *and* be able to turn that understanding into actions. TBH one or two of the boundaries are exceedingly generous in favour of the defenders. Make sure you communicate, communicate, and communicate. If there's an admin present, we can always increase the freeze time if teams need it for better planning. You don't have to be in a captains game to all agree a team commander and follow their instructions each round. No matter how simple or complicated a plan, follow the instructions you are given, call out intel such as targets, bombsite clear, your location, etc. Keep your ears open for new orders. I've lost track of the times I've told my team to disengage because CT's have a bomb site locked down, and when I get to the other site and plant, they're still in the same shootout. You can *always* run away. Likewise, you can always keep your finger *off* the trigger to help the team complete its objective. I can't stress enought the importance of following your instructions. When the bomber says they want the whole team to go a certain way, no one should be taking it upon themselves to go somewhere else with their scout. Yes that scout user might be right in a tactical sense, but if the plan fails then it fails. The important thing is that you go down fighting as a team striving to complete the objective and following the plan.

Find a quality team and objective player, and every time you and they are on, buddy up with them. A 2 man fireteam can cause more trouble than a single guy. As has already been said - follow the lead of others. Don't, however, think that a player is a good team player, or a good PCS player just because they have high numbers of kills. As often as not, the guy that goes down 0-17 is as much a PCS player as the guy that top the scoreboard.

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

This gets me thinking, Besides admins we should have an award system where certain players are given a title of PCS proven or PCS captain, some kind of title to distinguish them for others on the server. Sure we all know admins have this grasp but under that, everybody just has a feint idea.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                This gets me thinking, Besides admins we should have an award system where certain players are given a title of PCS proven or PCS captain, some kind of title to distinguish them for others on the server. Sure we all know admins have this grasp but under that, everybody just has a feint idea.
                Would that not lead to elitism raising its ugly head? I tend to be in favour of a PCS icon to appear under the supporting member icon if thats possible. Awarded, not applied for.

Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

elitism is all in the mind, awards can be granted and taken away as well..

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                    You know, my first reaction to this idea was, man, what an elitist load of crap.

Then I thought about it.

One of the key issues that I have with PCS rules is interpretation. I see alot of players that, like myself, cannot read Root's mind on the subejct, and don't quite get what its all about. Seems like there are imaginary rules, boundaries, and methods of play that alter with each map.

Since I cannot read minds, there are two options, as I see it: We can train people, or we can give an award. If we can't take the time to train people in how they should play the game, then we should be able to point to a player and say "See (Vulcan/Root/Jewish Ninja/etc.)? That's how you play!"
                    Last edited by Mateo; 05-15-2005, 01:44 PM.

Comment

the award system might cause elitism by mateo has spoken the words of truth. its all well and good to tell us how to play pcs properly but it will never be the same as being able to watch an example and actually see it being done. as the old saying goes "lead by example".
                      frowning takes 47 muscles, and smiling only take 17, but sitting there with a zombie like stare on your face takes 0, we have a winner.

The fights are so bitter because the stakes are so small. -watch words of academia

Comment

Protected server is nifty, Oh and I can post now!!!

Comment

I'm glad you got your forum problems worked out, Omega. Welcome.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
                            "elitism" doesnt stem from a rank, score or award.

"elitism" is the state of mind in which the player interacts with another player with a malicious intent to make others feel inferior in any respect whatsoever.

"elitism" is above all is what we must aspire to avoid through our maturity, our respect and our faith in eachother as good people.
                            -Zephyr
                            I disagree. We play a certain way here. We like that. Our community exists for this certain type of play. When people come here and don't want to play our way, they have to leave. If they choose to make an ass of themselves instead of finding another place where they can play their way, then they become inferior to what we expect here at TG.

Elitism? I guess... But I prefer to refer to it as pride.

Our community has grown immensely because of our standards. You indicated in another thread that there's some sort of rift between "the elite" and "newbies". I see no such thing. I do see a rift between those that know, understand and desire to play PCS and those that just want a fast, popular server that they can call home. More and more of the latter seem to be finding our server. Anyone that is new that desires to play PCS is more than welcome. Those that don't want to play PCS are more than welcome to find somewhere else to play.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah my bad, I changed my thoughts on "elitism", you can read my updated analysis on the locked thread about the password, I'll delete that post.
                              -Zephyr

Edit: On another note, please read what I wrote carefully in the other thread. I mean to state that there is another philosophy to gaming, not that we are still "newbies" but that we have a different approach to pleasing people on our shared server. Kind of like Democrats and Republicans, each have good ideas and should be allowed to speak their minds in a country that accepts them both.
                              You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                              We are not a single game.
                              We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                              We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X