Server 2: Are there boundaries?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2: Are there boundaries?

I have played several times on Server 2 which as we all know is the protected server. I expect that most of the players know the PCS doctrine and act by it.

I have been killed several times by players going beyond boundaries several times by people who use to yell at me for going there. Now I know everyone says always be alert and junk like that but I expect it may be once or twice by guys that don't know the doctrine to well. Not by supporting members...

Now let me get to the question in hand... is there boundaries??? I mean that was what I was arguing for earlier (not the rushing but flanking and such that seemed to be denounced). I mean I'm all for it but please tell me before, then I expected a little restraint on the defense side on the protected server. Maybe once or at the most twice but not almost every round.

I'm just confused that's all. Tell me the deal and I'll adapt. Personally I'll take it with glee once I get use to flankers again since they usually are sparsly numbered and easy to kill :D

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
    - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Re: Server 2: Are there boundaries?

People are always defending themselves "no boundaries!", but there arent any boundaries on server 1 either. It's all about intent. So yes, for the sake of simplicity, there are BOUNDARIES. Context sensitive AREAS YOU HAVE NO REASON TO ENTER OTHER THAN FOR KILLS. The cellar and water in chateau: Do not enter them except for pure recon. The instant a fight might start there, get back. You are NOT to be kill hunting there.

(note that "you" refers to everyone, not Sephiroth in particular :P)

If anything, the "boundaries" in server 2 are more prominent than in server 1, but thats because they arent actually boundaries, like they arent boundaries in server 1. They are places that while on this server you have no business being unless it is directly furthering the primary objective. And those exist regardless of a password.

Comment

A reminder about PCS

Seph, I know you've read this at least once. I believe there is reference to (imaginary) boundaries... or more specifically the lack of boundaries. What was enforced months ago as "boundaries" was in an attempt to both teach and admin about intent, objective, etc. In the end though, PCS has no boundaries... but as Kark said, it's intent that is judged.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Say what you will about intent, but if you're playing PCS, there are exceedingly few reasons to be certain places on certain maps. If you can see the T spawn on de_chateau and contact hasn't been made at either bombsite (for example), I think you'd be VERY hard-pressed to explain yourself.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          Say what you will about intent, but if you're playing PCS, there are exceedingly few reasons to be certain places on certain maps. If you can see the T spawn on de_chateau and contact hasn't been made at either bombsite (for example), I think you'd be VERY hard-pressed to explain yourself.
          I think pokerface is correct here. Though i will say this, i've heard "i'm securing a chokepoint" way to much as a "valid reason" for defensive rushing. Quite frankly if your the one being flanked you should be defensive, Not offensive. A defensive team needs recon and secure spots to protect the hostages, not moving forward and choking a possible offensive choke point.

- -

Comment

Ummm.... so the consensus is?

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
            - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Comment

Originally posted by SephirothValentine
              Ummm.... so the consensus is?
              Did you read this thread at all? An admin and several respected supporting members have all said pretty much the same thing. There are not (and never have been, BTW) any boundaries on our servers.

Defense should be defending. There are areas on every map where it almost never makes sense for a defender to be. There are places where it makes perfect sense for a defender to be. There are grey areas in between the two...

It doesn't matter where you are on the map. It matters why you are there...

I really don't know why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hey...just wanted to throw my 2 sense in also. I agree w/ the fact that theres no boundaries....its all bout intent. Like if ur on the defensive team and you are past a "boundarie" i think the only reason you should be there is recon, and if u do see players u shouldnt engage, but instead u should relay the information to the rest of your team. And as far as flanking goes....its kewl only if you've already talked and agreed w/ the rest of your team about it, other than that you shouldnt just be tryin to b the hero and do it yourself....goes against the whole aspect of TG. thnx
                focUs.
                ....Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly....

The first rule of focus is this: "Wherever you are, be there.

Comment

"there never were any boundries" thats my answer whenever someone says "omgwtfboundries" on server 2.

Comment

Originally posted by section-8
                    "there never were any boundries" thats my answer whenever someone says "omgwtfboundries" on server 2.
                    That could very well be the wrong answer...

If you're well past the locations that people consider as "boundaries", then I would think long and hard about why you are there and I'd be prepared to explain yourself to the other team if asked. Obviously, you already explained to your own team why you are so far away from your objective...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                      I agree Pokerface. I just want folks to question a person's intent instead of the boundary. But you are correct in that on some maps there is very little reasoning for the opposing team to be there.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                        I just want folks to question a person's intent instead of the boundary.
                        Excellent.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

....and then you play a map that someone says "hey you can't go there, its out of bounds." That happened to me the other night (can't recall if it was piranesi or aztec). So to some people there clearly are boundaries that need to be respected, regardless of "intent", if only to keep the peace. I'd rather play as if there are boundaries and "play not to offend" then have someone on Server 2 say "Mateo isn't playing PCS" by being over someone's arbitrary boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                            ....and then you play a map that someone says "hey you can't go there, its out of bounds." That happened to me the other night (can't recall if it was piranesi or aztec). So to some people there clearly are boundaries that need to be respected, regardless of "intent", if only to keep the peace. I'd rather play as if there are boundaries and "play not to offend" then have someone on Server 2 say "Mateo isn't playing PCS" by being over someone's arbitrary boundaries.
                            Whoever told you that you were out of bounds was wrong. If you choose to restrict yourself to the generally accepted defensive limits, you probably won't have any problems, though...

The "boundaries" were useful in crudely demonstrating how to play defense. Some people can't seem to let go of the crutches...
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                              This will be a touchy situation for a while. We do have players on server 2 that do not have the full understanding of PCS. We have players who still latch onto boundaries. We have players that will argue strategy. We have players who will argue PCS.

In the end, if you feel you are playing PCS and someone wants to challenge that in-game, don't get into a debate in-game about it. Go ahead and give a quick explaination and let any further discussion come to the thread. Situations like this can also serve as lessons learned for the rest of the community.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...