Map selection on our server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Map selection on our server

There's nothing wrong with big maps. Little maps are more likely to be deathmatch maps. The problem with crookcounty, for those that didn't read my last post on the subject, is that the bomb sites are right on top of each other. Big maps allow for more variety and tactics.

If the T's are all sniping out of the house on harvest, then tough. Work as a team to defeat them, or fail in your objective. Harvest could certainly do with a few tweaks, but the snipe fest is not something that needs changing. Snipers can't see through smoke. If you're team can't work together to achieve the level of cover necessary, then your team aren't playing PCS.

I've tried countless times on that map, telling my team to buy smoke before anything else. Unfortunately, smoke grenades don't *directly* do anything for your kill/death ratio, and as a result, people won't buy them before their precious frikkin scout, which *does* directly get them kills.

In short, players failing to work as a team does not make the map non-pcs. It makes the players non-pcs.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I know that, but Harvest has a similar deal going in that the objectives are very concentrated on ONE section of the map, as a result the T's have little business in many more places, and thus the fighting quickly becomes focused on one small section of a huge map. Office is EXTREMELY small, but its also lovable, tactical, not at all deathmatch, and whats more FUN. Now, Crook would fix alot of things, if it cut off a quarter of the map, and Harvest would fix alot if it moved 2 hosties elsewhere, possible into the Van, and make the van have openable doors.

Basically, both maps have the objective sites close and concentrated leaving most of the map unused and (with PCS) unusable ses recon, and both maps have the objective taking a long time to complete, so that its more likely the survivors will just die. It says "You might as well ignore the objective, because you all will die before its completion".

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
        the T's have little business in many more places, and thus the fighting quickly becomes focused on one small section of a huge map. Office is EXTREMELY small, but its also lovable, tactical, not at all deathmatch, and whats more FUN.
        Is there a significant difference between having the action concentrated in a relatively small area of cs_harvest and having the action concentrated in an even smaller area of cs_office just because that area on office is relatively large compared to the size of the map? I think the main difference is that cs_harvest has less defined chokepoints.

Originally posted by Karkianman101
        It says "You might as well ignore the objective, because you all will die before its completion".
        I strongly disagree. Ts should be defending the hostages with their lives. CTs should be trying to rescue the hostages with their lives. One team is going to win and the other is going to get wiped out. That does not mean they are playing deathmatch.

Comment

so. Many of us have displayed our distaste for chateau, and prodigy is kinda in the air. have you made a decision yet root? If so, when will the changes be?

Comment

Most of the distaste I see is for Prodigy. Chateau is mixed.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I say they both go down the drain, but for chateu, if many want to play it on the server, then the admin can switch to chateu for a bit. As for prodigy, that thing is a total deathmatch and involves no more stratigy than sheer firepower, sniping and knowing how to throw a smoke and jump in a vent. :icon7:

Comment

The only part of Kark's post I will stringly agree with....Harvest needs 2 hosties moved :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonwolf72
                  The only part of Kark's post I will stringly agree with....Harvest needs 2 hosties moved :)
                  I think it would be fine if the rescue point was in ct spawn, and there was a slope from the current rescue point down to spawn. I still remain extremely impressed that the word boundaries has not needed to be used on harvest. If the map was altered slightly, the T's *might* be justified in pushing out a bit further, and making use of wonder ambush terrain.

Root
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Damage Inc.
                    have you made a decision yet root? If so, when will the changes be?
                    Unless a decision for a change is time critical, I don't intend to make arbitrary decisons about anything. Let the discussion roll on. In the mean time, there is no reason why these maps cannot be skipped when they come up in rotation. Personally though, I won't change them if there are more apathy votes than there are yes votes for a map change.

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Harvest is a very nice PCS map. If the Ts are on their game, the CTs have only one option...teamwork.
                      If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                      with any questions or concerns.
                      |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Cheateu is not a bad map. I actually look forward to it coming in rotation because when I get the bomb I do unorthadox things like smoke the wall crevice, grenade it open and lead the team to the second floor of the building at A to give the CT's an extremely rude awakening from behind.

I know its off topic but I need to yell this.

SMOKE GRENADES CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING.

I dont know how many of you remember my constant badgering on cs_Italy and de_Chateau to buy smoke grenades and use them to advance through or cloud places that are normallly wide open. So much can be done with these grenades, so so soooo much...yet they are the least bought item on the server...an 8 smoke grenade cloud over Chateau's bombsite A can completely shock the CT's and cause quick victory for the T's who can plant under cover of darkness and keep things that way. Likewise though, CT's can use them so wonderfully to stop rushes its almost beautiful...everyone fears going through that cloud unless their teammate threw it.

agh sorry off topic rant...
                        -Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I like Prodigy if only for the fact that it can be fun to make WEIRD plans as a T. You guys have played with me as a Captain at least once, some of you twice, and you guys know I make crazy off the wall plans :P

I buy smokes if I can afford them. I get at least 1 flash first.

Crookcounty screams DM. All the wasted space is just a lagfest. CTs never get to go there because it's too close to the jail, T's rarely do because they never plan weird "3 lefts make a right" plans.

Harvest I like, but I feel the urge to press boundaries to TRY and help my team. I think if one skilled scouter can get a bit past taht windmill and in a good vantage point, the CTs will become pinned down by two pillboxes worth of fire. I just dont want to **** anyone off and I don't want to die before I get there, so I never try it.

Comment

I just played Jungle (not Junglerescue) last night for the first time and found it thoroughly enjoyable. It provides lots of cover and options for different strategies. We rescued hosties several times as CT's (unlike Harvest where I've never seen a hostie rescued). My team took different approaches to the hostie houses and we were able to coordinate attacks quite well. Most people seemed to enjoy the map. I'd like to see this one in the regular rotation. Does anyone else have input on this map?

As far as Harvest is concerned, it seemed to always be a sniper war followed by a small house deathmatch when I was playing. I never saw a hostie rescued. Maybe we haven't figured out effective strategies for it yet but it seemed to be a pretty limiting map in it's current state. It became pretty boring and repetitious after a while. I would prefer this map be kept out of the rotation until it can be tweaked in some way to make it easier for the CT's to actually rescue some of the hosties. Maybe putting all the hosties on the ground floor, such as in Militia, would be a reasonable option.

Prodigy, I have some nostalgic interest in, but it can often get pretty frustrating as a terrorist unless you have a very skilled team to work with. The choke points are very small and hard to pass but it can be done if approached the right way. I'd prefer it be kept in the rotation though it's certainly not my favorite map.

Chateau, while also somewhat limited in the options the T's can approach a bombsite still seems to have enough detail to keep it interesting for me. It does produce some explosive firefights at the bombsites similar to the way Prodigy does at the chokepoints but it still has enough variety in it to offer good tactical potential. I would prefer it be kept in the rotation.

CrookCounty has a lot of potential for detailed strategy and I haven't made up my mind for sure on it yet, though it seems to offer a wide variety of ways to approach bombsites and loads of cover. The lag issue has gotten frustrating occasionally. The extended detonation time seems a tad bit too long. Maybe 35 instead of 45 seconds would be better. I would like it to be in the rotation but would like to see it tweaked if possible.

JungleRescue is still too buggy for me. The hosties rarely all get rescued because of getting stuck. The loss of health points at spawn while funny can get pretty annoying. I'd prefer it be kept out of the rotation until the bugs can be fixed.

I love Italy, Office, Havana, Dust2 and the new Inferno for reasons I won't elaborate on. Glad to be back from vacation. Missed TG and have been slowly recovering from the withdrawals.

Ghost

Comment

I just played de_ignorance for the first time tonight. It was excellent...a very complex map with many different approaches to bombsites. It appears to be one of the best maps I've seen in quite a while. We had the server almost full and the communication and planning was great.

Ghost

Comment

Only map I would currently agree with removing from rotation is pcs_junglerescue. No offense to Vulcan, but until his new version comes out, it is still a bit buggy. And you all know my distaste for that map, but it is starting to grow on me a bit and I would be all for it being back in rotation with the bug fixes.

Ignorance is a new favorite of mine, a very good PCS map. Large enough that your team had better be communicating or you are going to find yourself on the nasty side of a dirtnap. I would also like to see Inferno in circulation...(however, I hear from a couple of people that have framerate issues.)
                                If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                                with any questions or concerns.
                                |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X