FPS / Lag Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS / Lag Issues

My machine is a P4 2.8 HT with 512DDR ram, vid card is a Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 128mb. Latest drivers from nvidia are installed. I'm averaging about 50fps at 800x600. This doesn't seem right to me. I've adjusted the fps_max to 100 (Default is 200 I beleive)

Before going in game, I close all programs. I cant seem to figure out whats causing the crappy fps. Anyone have any ideas?
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: FPS / Lag Issues

That's not that bad an fps.. CSS is also very CPU dependent, so it's quite possible you can raise you resolution to 1024 and still see similar fps. Have you tried that?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

It's a long shot, but, on systems I've owned in the past, turning my sound acceleration all the way up often lowered performance without giving me better sound.

You might try turning down sound acceleration all the way.

I don't offer this because I'm particularly confident it will help, but because I think it's my only shot at offering a suggestion unique among the offerings of the many smart people here, who I'm sure will chime in soon to help.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yes, it's the same FPS. I was hoping by using a lower resolution, that it may increase my FPS. I guess I'll just deal with it untill I can buy on of them there 512MB cards hitting the shelves soon.
        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Wait.

If you get the same FPS at 800x600 and 1024x768, isn't it true that your CPU/RAM is the bottleneck?

If that's true, isn't it likely you'll not get enough performance increase from a new video card to justify its cost?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hrmm. I'd be interested to see what hardware others are running, and what resolution and fps they are getting.

Comment

I think I have nVidia 5600?

5800?

I forget. 128MB RAM?

3200+ Athlon 64.

1GB of some moderately-priced RAM.

heh. There was a time when I knew more about my computer. Anymore I just turn the thing on and expect it to work.

I get ~60fps, w/ around 15-20 in major firefights and/or heat distortion graphics.

Comment

I have a 3200+ and a 6800GT. I run 1024 with everything on high, and I get 40-50 outside on the worst of the worst maps, and 160+ on something like cbble.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

AMD 64 3000+ 1Gb RAM and GF6600 vanilla card.

I had the same fps in any resolution before i changed my CPU to this one, so its probably CPU limitations for you as well.

800*600 all on high, world reflections and no AA or AF, around a 100 fps never dip below 60
                  If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Currently playing under name: Bleach

Comment

I h ave a P4 2gig, Ati 9800 Pro 128, SB audigy LS, 1 gig DDR and res is set to 1024x768. I see anywhere from 40-120 fps depending on the map. Something that's bothering me is, I get the lag jerk when running anywhere even though my lat is in the 50's. I think that's part of the reason I can't hit anything.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have P4 3.0 HT with 2Gb of RAM and a great video card (im too lazy to look it up) and mine runs great on everything full. i dont think its the screen width, its the graphics and RAM. CSS takes up alot of Cpu and RAM so you can lower the settings under options. go to video and click on advanced. the options with the stars next to them on the dropdown menu are the recomneded settings for your comp so try lowering the settings in any area you want. i lowered mine in water and models and it boosted performence. try that.

Comment

That FX card will run dx9 hardware on HL2 and CS: S, it's the only FX card that does. I would suggest setting your mat_dxlevel 81. It's most likely currently set to 9.0.

That will cure alot of fps problems.

- -

Comment

oh, i didnt think of that one. he's right, if you have the wrong dx level set, that can cause some problems.

Comment

Well, that last suggestion fixed my problem. Looks great, no more jerky movement.

Thanks!! Now I can actualy play. Steady 60-80 FPS

Comment

Hey wuss.

Make sure you aren't running cheating death. This can lead to a suprisingly big fps hit.
                              The RAM will also help. A lot.

I have an AMD Athlon 2500+ (clocked up to 2ghz) and a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB, with 728 MB system ram (a 256 stick just died or something) and get around 60 FPS most of the time (vsynch on), a little lower in large open areas and firefights, but not below 30.

Also, are you testing on an actual server? Because running a listen server, or worse, a listen server with bots, will cause some a noticible performance impact.

EDIT: Just missed that last post. Lowering your dx level will also reduce some effects (most noticibly water effects, check port, piranesi, aztec, etc). But if it makes the game playable, that's all that matters :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X