Laggy Maps = Fixable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laggy Maps = Fixable

Okay, so this afternoon we went on a new map spree, and most of them were laggy, but they had some potential. One in particular came to mind as AMAZING: de_cargo. However, FPS ranged from 200 if you looked at a blank wall to 12 or so most other places. Italy reloaded was also a bit of fun, but again it lagged like HELL, even if you stared into a blank wall. This reminded me of another map: Dust2. It can lag like hell for some people (including me).

So, I propose that we get someone good at mapping, and give them potential maps (like say cargo and italy_reloaded), and also give them Dust2, and have them optomize the hell out of the maps: remove excess textures, make lower poly versions of items, simplify the lighting, etc. Heck, we could even pay them if the project is big.

We could then take those maps and try them out, and add them if we like them under different names (like Dust2_opt, or cargo2). We could also do this for maps that arent quite PCS, but almost are, like crookcounty.

Basically, we could take maps with potential, but that are held back either through map design or performance issues, and fix them up in the editor, and then host the improved versions.

(note: I've stated this idea many times before :P )

Re: Laggy Maps = Fixable

I think that cargo in particular is a beta, so this may be addressed by the mapper.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I was under the impression that it's not very easy to just edit a completed map like you're suggesting, Kark...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
        I was under the impression that it's not very easy to just edit a completed map like you're suggesting, Kark...
        you are correct.

Kark, I'm not sure if you understand this but the people that are laggy, are the few. Now i have a radeon 9250 video card with settings set about in the middle. I do not lag on any map. So the problem is an isolated one and doing a "new" map most likely will not help you or anyone else who lags.

Learn about your settings and start adjusting things.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
          ... the people that are laggy, are the few.
          ...the problem is an isolated one ...
          Really? I have what I consider to be real decent box. It's not HT, but as far as I know, HT wont help too much with CS:S. It's a P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB DDR, Radeon 9550 256mb 8x AGP and I deffinitely get some laggy maps here and there. I had been using the onboard sound since the sound sucks so bad in CS:S anyways, but after a recent post, I threw in an SB Audigy. So are you saying that the lag I sometimes experience can be fixed with settings?

Comment

All I know is that on that particular map, I was getting 13 fps, and I have a 6800GT. I'd say there's no hope in that situation.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I didnt say it would be easy. I'm just saying that it is afaik a possibility. Also Vulcan, Cargo and Italy Reloaded would lag you ;) . But the potential pay off is several more maps added to the rotation, with less work than actually making new maps.

Comment

Oh man...tested out DE_cargo on the server by myself...

JUST ME: 12 fps...with my 9800 pro

ack. And it was only freaking CRATES. nothing special. just crates.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                  Really? I have what I consider to be real decent box. It's not HT, but as far as I know, HT wont help too much with CS:S. It's a P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB DDR, Radeon 9550 256mb 8x AGP and I deffinitely get some laggy maps here and there. I had been using the onboard sound since the sound sucks so bad in CS:S anyways, but after a recent post, I threw in an SB Audigy. So are you saying that the lag I sometimes experience can be fixed with settings?

Yes they are! Some of it at least. I was getting annoyed at de_dust2 because the dust in the air made my computer turn into "How I die in CS:S...1001 and counting". So I started reading....which confused me more. Some basic things I got for CS:S are:

Setting in console Default Mine
                  rate -- 7500 25000
                  cl_updaterate ? 125
                  r_rainsimulate (may not be exact) 1 0

There are some I am looking at recently about sprite times and other commands that effect how long objects stay "Painted" on your screen

Comment

Right, I'm pretty sure its the dust in the air in Dust2 causing the lag, so that should be a fairly simple fix. Just where little things easy to do are available, it would be nice to do them.

EDIT: Okay, I peeped at my settings. Um, most of them I cant touch. If I downgrade shadows... bad. Shadows are life, otherwise you cant see someone sneaking round the corner. Changing resolution makes it harder to see detail, may that detail be a down bomb or a snipers head. Changing models, I dont know its effects. Anyway, is there a command to turn Dust2's dust off?
                    Last edited by Karkianman101; 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X