Steam Ticket / Trippy Colors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Ticket / Trippy Colors

Sometimes (not often) Steam gives me a message when a game is loading that says that my steam ticker or something like that has expired. It asks me to type in my password, I do, and it works fine. I do not have a hacked version aof HL2. Is this supposed to happen or am is my pc retarded?

And also every now and then I get these wierd colors that show up on certain areas. Tonight I was playing on piranesi with noel and askes if he coud see it but he didnt. Is the a glitch in the game or just my video card. I have a GeForce Ti 4200. Its not that its annoying or anything but a purple or green smude on the wall is pretty distracting.
    |CS:S Development Team|

Re: Steam Ticket / Trippy Colors

this happens to me every so often and ALOT in a pc gaming cafe room. i THINK it's not a biggie but yea ;)

Originally posted by SkidMark
    ...but a purple or green smude on the wall is pretty distracting.
    yea, i get that on certain maps like go_nuke, it's annoying but i guess it's just something i have to deal with, since my laptop's ati is 9000 igp.

Comment

The ticket is a little thing that is basically for when you're online. If the game is still open and you get disconnected and don't close the game after reconnecting, it'll tell you your ticket has expired (and thus you'll enter your password and be given a new ticket). So it's just a way for Steam to verify when you're online, nothing hack-related or anything you should be too concerned about.

As for the green/purple smudge, I'm going to assume this is cubic environment maps failing to load (or being deallocated during an Alt-Tab or change of the graphics mode). All I can suggest is to restart CS:S (by closing and re-opening it). I've had the problem before and that's the only thing that ever fixed it for me. Also sometimes textures fail to load, resulting in some black meshes -- usually restarting CS:S is the only way out of that as well.

Anyhow, just what I think is going on as far as the purple/green smudge things go.

Comment

When the cube maps fail to load, half life (or the vid card, or d3d, I forget which) uses a magenta checkerboard pattern instead. This makes magenta highlights appear on things that are usually shiny, like floors or (fake) windows and stuff.

If you are talking purple and green on everything, like walls and sand and things that aren't shiny, and they seem to be "stuck" (they don't move as you move), it could be your vid card overheating due to overclocking or other things. A common effect is seeing "smudges" of purple and green, as well as other colors. The cube map effect is usually sharp magenta edges. So from your description it sounds like it could be video card troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
          When the cube maps fail to load, half life (or the vid card, or d3d, I forget which) uses a magenta checkerboard pattern instead. This makes magenta highlights appear on things that are usually shiny, like floors or (fake) windows and stuff.
          Its not the checkerboard thing, its more of the smudge and the size varies it never takes up a whole wall or anything, just a little distracting.
          BTW Noel thanks for the very informative post. Learn something new everyday :D

Comment

is there a certian texture that is supposed to be where the green/purple smudge is? if it is or 2 or 3 textures, then the texture file in the settings file is probably corrupted somehow or if you are a mapper or modder, make sure that you havent changed the location of anything. for a last resort, go under options and then reload local game content (textures, models, ect.)

Comment

I dont think its corrupt because it only does every so often. And its not always in the same place.

Comment

ya then it is definatly youre video card. what model is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SkidMark
                  I have a GeForce Ti 4200.
                  There you go :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement