Pistols?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistols?

Am I the only one who feels that 'pistols only' reduces the tactical nature of this game?

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: Pistols

Originally posted by aesop rock View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that 'pistols only' reduces the tactical nature of this game?
    Yes.

Comment

Re: Pistols

Care to elaborate? I thought the idea of the money boost on lockdown was to increase tactical play options. But now we are reducing the options. Why?

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Re: Pistols?

moved to it's own thread for your discussion.

- -

Comment

in my opinion this increases the tactical nature of the gameplay. Goodluck rushing into a bomb site with pistols only. This requires people to , dare i say it, make actual PLANS!!! AHHHHH i know its scary to think :D, but it really does boost the gameplay. So yea, Suid cant just say "hey guys the left side is weak so lets rush it!!" (yea i went there :P).

But to be serious, tactics and team coordination become the prime factors that will determine the success or failure of a team. It becomes so much harder for a single player to eliminate the entire opposing force with limited fire power and clip size.

PLUS the most important reason of them all:

Glocking Orthos is just soooooo much fun :D
          :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.
          |
          |
          .\__\
          ...../

Comment

I don't see how using pistols makes rushing any harder. In fact, in my opinion it makes it much easier because you can close to range as a team before the 1-3 defenders can do any real damage (seeing as they only have pistols instead of a real weapon). You know as attacking team exactly what kinda of weapons the defending team will be bringing to bear.

And glocking Orthos is 100x more fun when hes got his weapon of choice. Trust me.

Comment

The key is that rushing doesn't mean you kill them because pistols don't do nearly as much damage. Less damage means more time to play out firefights. That begs for more tactics and an overall strategy that isn't rushing.

Also on another note there is a version i like to call beat cop which is basically pistols and 2 shotguns per side. The regular shotty not the auto. That one is pretty fun too but i need to make another config for that still.

- -

Comment

If this is concerning a lack of tactics then we should play Plan of Attack.

Comment

Honestly Diplo, I love you, but stop trying to hijack threads with your POA nonsense. Back to the debate:

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                  The key is that rushing doesn't mean you kill them because pistols don't do nearly as much damage.
                  ...at long range. And since there's almost always more attackers than defenders in any given spot, rushing to CLOSE range is smarter, which is my entire point...

If you are defending bombsite B, and 3 attackers come into range running full speed with pistols, you'd have a much better chance killing them off before they get to flank/close quarters if you have a rifle or, more specifically, more than one weapon. Knowing a defender is reloading (as they constantly will be with only a pistol) means an easy rush for the attackers. This why you see pistol battles resort to knifing, because it takes too long to reload 1v1 at close range. Add two more attackers (each with their own pistol to keep you pinned while they rush) and you've got a really unbalanced situation.

Comment

Honestly Diplo, I love you, but stop trying to hijack threads with your POA nonsense. Back to the debate:

...at long range. And since there's almost always more attackers than defenders in any given spot, rushing to CLOSE range is smarter, which is my entire point...

If you are defending bombsite B, and 3 attackers come into range running full speed with pistols, you'd have a much better chance killing them off before they get to flank/close quarters if you have a rifle or, more specifically, more than one weapon. Knowing a defender is reloading (as they constantly will be with only a pistol) means an easy rush for the attackers. This why you see pistol battles resort to knifing, because it takes too long to reload 1v1 at close range. Add two more attackers (each with their own pistol to keep you pinned while they rush) and you've got a really unbalanced situation.
                    Not true, the defenders have the advantage of defense! It's still the same even if you had ak's and m4's. With pistols you have more time for tactics and more time for backup.

- -

Comment

If the attackers are not accurate with their limited shots, then they are done for. Just sayin.
                      "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
                      "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

unless its vokerr who caries 7 headshots in every deagle clip

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

Originally posted by Broly View Post
                          unless its vokerr who carries 8 headshots in every deagle clip
                          Fixed.

CQC naturally reverts to twitch-reflex based fighting. Long range favors tactics (and more accurate aim).
                          IMO, it definitely reduces tactical play when it's brought up close, pistols often encouraging this.

That's not to say pistol play cannot be tactical or that it's not fun; it's just that it's hard to stop it from getting down to twitch-aim fighting.

Comment

But isn't that the point? You've got two people or more people creating a disadvantage for an opponent! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds a lot like team-work to me. Besides, nothing stalls a rush like a need to reload. With less bullets, rushes just aren't going to work unless you can break the defense with that one clip.

Comment

plus, i have noticed that people are more hesitant to rush with pistols. They may begin the rush with the team, but as soon as they are flashed or forced to reload, they tend to stop. People dont mind rushing in somewhere while flashed with an automatic weapon beacuse they are still packing heavy firepower. Spraying while blind can often pay off for players. Now take away that AK or M4 and give the player a usp oor anyother handgun, the confidence level in rushing while blind will decrease dramatically. I would almost compare it to rushing in somwhere with a scout while flashed. Limited clip size and fire rate lowers the effectiveness of a rush imo. Besides if three defenders were to unload their pistols into a group of six BLIND/FLASHED attackers, they would undoubtedly take out a few of the attackers and force them to fall back or continue a rush into a site where more defenders are already rotating to.

The pistol mod forces us to think outside of the box. I am not saying that rushes will no longer be called by the attacking team (because rushes are forever), but they won't be ass effective. The great thing about the mod is that there are no scoped weapons. The scope (whether it be from an AUG or a Scout), offers a team a huge advatage into the opposing team's setup. People will tend to work in small groups, teams clear area's thuroughly, people move up TOGETHER!!! I noticed all these things in the last pistol match it took a part in. Since a scope is not available to help clear things from a distance, teams take the map one bit at a time. The rounds become more slow paced and teams act as a unit. We dont have the lone sniper team available that will pick off half of the opposition granting easy access to the objective. The lone wold player will more than likely be eliminated by the opfor.

The fact that there are no LONG RANGE weapons at all leads teams to take over areas from different angles. An attacking team carrying pistols that is running through a bottleneck will be taken out by the defeders who only have to pour bullets into the general area of the attackers. Instead the attackers have to take an area from different angles. The need to keep the defeders on their toes and that is not an easy thing to to. Stealth becomes a HUGE factor in gameplay with pistols. If you miss that initial headshot on an unsuspecting defender while carrying an AK you still have a decent chance of taking the player out. However, miss that first shot with a pistol then you have just alerted the other team and given your position away. Plus, there is a chance that even if you do connect with that first shot to the head, it might not be enough to drop the defender (not all pistols are one hit kills to the head if your target has a helmet on).

I love it when we have pistol maps. Players know that they must rely on each other to win the map. I wonder how a captains match with pistols only will do :P
                              Last edited by ultima110; 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM. Reason: had to capitalize an "i"?
                              :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.
                              |
                              |
                              .\__\
                              ...../

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement